Network printer reapparing after being deleted

Eric Tremblay

      28th Jul 2008
I have 2 network printers that keep coming back after I delete them.
The server that was providing the printers is now offline we have migrated
it to Windows 2008 and it has a new name.
I've reinstalled the "new" printers with the new windows 2008 server without
any problems

I've tried deleting the registry keys in HKCU HKLM and they keep coming back
when I restart the printer spooler service

Eric Tremblay

      28th Jul 2008
When I select Server Properties I get 4 tabs [forms] [port] [drivers]
[advanced]
I think you are refering to the Drivers tab and yes, the drivers have been
removed

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Under Printers in the Control Panel, from the Toolbar select File, Server
> Properties.. and ensure they are deleted in there too.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Eric Tremblay" <Eric (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have 2 network printers that keep coming back after I delete them.
> > The server that was providing the printers is now offline we have migrated
> > it to Windows 2008 and it has a new name.
> > I've reinstalled the "new" printers with the new windows 2008 server
> > without
> > any problems
> >
> > I've tried deleting the registry keys in HKCU HKLM and they keep coming
> > back
> > when I restart the printer spooler service

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      28th Jul 2008
Are the connections created using a logon script?

If the printers were per machine connections added using rundll32 you will
need to use rundll32 to delete them

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Eric Tremblay" <Eric (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 network printers that keep coming back after I delete them.
> The server that was providing the printers is now offline we have migrated
> it to Windows 2008 and it has a new name.
> I've reinstalled the "new" printers with the new windows 2008 server
> without
> any problems
>
> I've tried deleting the registry keys in HKCU HKLM and they keep coming
> back
> when I restart the printer spooler service

Eric Tremblay

      29th Jul 2008
They were created when we started "publishing printers" with Active
Directory, it worked great in a lab but gave a lot of people some blue
screens, we have deleted the printer entries in all of our GPO's.
I am the only one on the domain that is affected by this problem.

Here is what I've tried

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /gd "HP5000 on Server"
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /gd HP5000

The correct command line was
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /gd /n\\server\hp5000

Thanks a lot Alan
Cheers !