network connections

RB

      11th Mar 2010
(Running win xp pro sp3, peer to peer workgroup, all nodes in same workgroup)
Is there a way to get rid of unused (old config) network connections?
Do they use any resources ?

There does not appear to be a way to delete them.

LD55ZRA

      11th Mar 2010
If you can see anything in "My Network Places" then YES you can delete them
by using the DELETE button on your keyboard.

These don't use any resources so don't worry if you can't delete them.

Let us know if this solution worked.

hth

"RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (Running win xp pro sp3, peer to peer workgroup, all nodes in same
> workgroup)
> Is there a way to get rid of unused (old config) network connections?
> Do they use any resources ?
>
> There does not appear to be a way to delete them.

RB

      11th Mar 2010
No the Delete option is grayed out. I tired booting to Admin safe mode with
no networking but then the connectiions do not show up at all.
Actually I'm explaining two scenarios here so I will cover the original (and
current one) first. In it's default fresh install scenario (a Gateway laptop) there
appears to be 3 network hardware on the machine. One is the hardwire ethernet
port, with properties of Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller.
The other is the wireless with properties of Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter.
And the third one which appears to be another hardwire card with properties of
1394 Net Adapter. The each show having their own drivers.
For some time I have only had the wireless Enabled, the other two have been
disabled. The delete option on all three is grayed out, I surmise since these are
actual hardware representations.
But in my second scenario I was experimenting with connections to try and solve
some recent issues of some lan nodes not showing up. Well the connection I
created did not solve the issue so I wanted to delete it and I had the same problem.
So I restored my image backup to get back to my original (current) setup.
That is pretty much it. Got any ideas or info ?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      11th Mar 2010
Hi
The Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller, and the Hardwire
card with properties of
1394 Net Adapter, are on the motherboard and are installed by default. If
you want, you can disable them in the Device Manger. There is Nothing to
delete and if nothing is plugged into them they Do Nothing. I.e., ignore
them.
As for the Wireless, you indicates two entries ,I do not know what to say
since you did not further explained what in reality you have in the
computer.
If you have two Wireless cards it is Normal. If you have only one card
uninstall the Ghost one from the Device Manager.
http://www.ezlan.net/network/GhostNIC.jpg
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).