.Net Compact Framework on Visual Studio 2002

Asad Khan

      25th Sep 2003
Hi, I have Visual Studio 2002 Enterprise Architecture Edition. I was
wondering if anyone has any information on how I can develop applications
for .Net Compact Framework using this IDE. I've heard Visual Studio 2003
ships with the functionality for .Net Compact Framework development. But
right now I have Visual Studio 2002. Is there anything I can do? (Other than
the obvious upgrade to 2003).

I've heard some beta version of .Net Compact Framework work on Visual Studio
2002. Don't know if its true. And I've had a real tough time trying to
figure out what to install from where to make it work. So if someone can
help me out, greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

(Or if there is some other free IDE like Web Matrix that supports .Net
Compact Framework??)

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

      25th Sep 2003
The upgrade is the right way to go. Through the end of September it is just
USD$29 .
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ho...3/default.aspx

VS2002 supported something called the "Smart Device Extensions" which was,
in effect, a tech preview of the function that was integrated into VS2003.
SDE was released as an independent add-on, but has since been de-listed.
You can no longer download SDE from Microsoft. SDE was never supported.

Aside from the IDE, I have heard that some people have constructed Smart
Device apps using the compact framework DLLs mated with the compiler for the
full framework. This is not a combination that is supported by MS.

For more on the compact framework, you should post to
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

-Dino

----
Dino Chiesa
Microsoft Developer Division