Nero 6 and Vista

msmarti58

      17th Jun 2006
I tried installing Nero 6 and it gave me a message "known to be unstable" or
something. I installed it anyway and it wiped out my icons for my cd rom
drive and my dvd rw drive and I couldn't access them. I didn't know how to
get them back and I reinstalled the operating system. I am leery now to try
to put any burning software on here. I have everything else working fine,
so, what is safe to install? I also have Cyberlink Power Director (have not
installed yet).

Thanks

Jane C

      17th Jun 2006
I have Nero Ultimate version 6.6.0.8 working. I always use the Ultimate,
not the Express version which also comes with it.

--
Jane, not plain 64bit enabled
"msmarti58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried installing Nero 6 and it gave me a message "known to be unstable"
>or something. I installed it anyway and it wiped out my icons for my cd rom
>drive and my dvd rw drive and I couldn't access them. I didn't know how to
>get them back and I reinstalled the operating system. I am leery now to try
>to put any burning software on here. I have everything else working fine,
>so, what is safe to install? I also have Cyberlink Power Director (have not
>installed yet).
>
> Thanks

Chris Whelan

      17th Jun 2006

"msmarti58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried installing Nero 6 and it gave me a message "known to be unstable"
>or something. I installed it anyway and it wiped out my icons for my cd rom
>drive and my dvd rw drive and I couldn't access them. I didn't know how to
>get them back and I reinstalled the operating system. I am leery now to try
>to put any burning software on here. I have everything else working fine,
>so, what is safe to install? I also have Cyberlink Power Director (have not
>installed yet).
>
> Thanks

6.6.0.14 working faultlessly here.

Chris

giorgio_pp

      17th Jun 2006
msmarti58 wrote:
> I tried installing Nero 6 and it gave me a message "known to be unstable"

Nero 6.6.0.18 works fine here....

msmarti58

      18th Jun 2006
"giorgio_pp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> msmarti58 wrote:
>> I tried installing Nero 6 and it gave me a message "known to be unstable"

> Nero 6.6.0.18 works fine here....

Okay I have Nero on and updated it, but does InCD work? I was afraid to load
that on there, and the Easy Write.

Colin Barnhorst

      18th Jun 2006
InCD does not work in x64. It might in x86. InCD has been the most
problematical of the modules in the suite. Try it for testing purposes and
be prepared to uninstall it.

"msmarti58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "giorgio_pp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> msmarti58 wrote:
>>> I tried installing Nero 6 and it gave me a message "known to be
>>> unstable"

>> Nero 6.6.0.18 works fine here....

> Okay I have Nero on and updated it, but does InCD work? I was afraid to
> load that on there, and the Easy Write.

Chad Harris

      18th Jun 2006
I had same experience on X86 with *InCD* as Colin. I tried several times
and couldn't get it to work, but the rest of Nero 6.6 works fine.

CH

"msmarti58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "giorgio_pp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> msmarti58 wrote:
>>> I tried installing Nero 6 and it gave me a message "known to be
>>> unstable"

>> Nero 6.6.0.18 works fine here....

> Okay I have Nero on and updated it, but does InCD work? I was afraid to
> load that on there, and the Easy Write.

msmarti58

      18th Jun 2006
"Chad Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had same experience on X86 with *InCD* as Colin. I tried several times
>and couldn't get it to work, but the rest of Nero 6.6 works fine.

Well, I installed it, and nothing dire happned. I haven't tried to actually
WRITE anything to disc, but I can view my old discs, and that's good enough
for now. Everything is working - granted, I decided to upgrade from 512 mb
RAM to 1.2 gb, and upgraded to a GeForce 7800 GS. Before that, everything
was SLOOOOOOwwwww. And buggy. Lots of hangs. Now I still get some hangs, but
the system comes back afterwards. For me, it really does seem to have to do
with RAM and a good soundcard. And a big hard drive. I tried to install it
before on my 40 gb hard drive not realizing I needed much more than that,
duh!

Marti

Chad Harris

      18th Jun 2006
Marti--

To be effective in addressing some of the hangs, I would look up all the
processes and services (diff in Vista) and end or turn off the ones that you
don't need and there may be a sifnificiant number that start up. Also
defrag regularly and run Defender and other spy scanners.

Normally, I'd reflexly suggest running System File Checker but a number of
us have experienced it can trash the Vista registry in its current state,
with the Vista beta team gingerly recommending only use one switch, ect. so
unless and until the appropriate Vista team fixes it, I'm backing off that
recommendation for a while.

Sounds like you've made some very beneficial improvements to your setup.

Good luck--you can test burn something small quickly and see what happens.

CH

"msmarti58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Chad Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I had same experience on X86 with *InCD* as Colin. I tried several times
>>and couldn't get it to work, but the rest of Nero 6.6 works fine.

> Well, I installed it, and nothing dire happned. I haven't tried to
> actually WRITE anything to disc, but I can view my old discs, and that's
> good enough for now. Everything is working - granted, I decided to upgrade
> from 512 mb RAM to 1.2 gb, and upgraded to a GeForce 7800 GS. Before that,
> everything was SLOOOOOOwwwww. And buggy. Lots of hangs. Now I still get
> some hangs, but the system comes back afterwards. For me, it really does
> seem to have to do with RAM and a good soundcard. And a big hard drive. I
> tried to install it before on my 40 gb hard drive not realizing I needed
> much more than that, duh!
>
> Marti

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

      11th Sep 2006
I tried to install 6.6.0.5, but it gave me the compatibility warning. So I
figured I'd listen to it... mainly because I'm lazy and didn't want to try
and fix it. My question to you is: Did you get the warning aswell? And which
version of Vista are you running?

I'm running Vista 64bit Ultimate RC1 Build 5600.