Negative Scanning Practical Question (general storage and scanning whole film related)

B.

      12th Jul 2004
I have a couple of questions regarding negative scanning. Any input
would be most welcome:

- Is there a better storage mechanism for negative strips than the
ring folder page type (paper one side plastic other designed for
strips to be slid in). I find this storage medium tedious if I need to
return to an image several times but I need to ensure the film is
protected so I go on using them. Are there any alternatives?

- For scanning a whole film (eg. with Coolscan 4000/5000) how do you
store a whole roll safely

RSD99

      12th Jul 2004
"B." posted:
"...
- Is there a better storage mechanism for negative strips than the
ring folder page type (paper one side plastic other designed for
strips to be slid in). I find this storage medium tedious if I need to
return to an image several times but I need to ensure the film is
protected so I go on using them. Are there any alternatives?
...."

Several companies make transparent storage "pages." The ones I usually are made by Print
File, Clear File, or View-All. Most photo vendors will have them in stock, or they can be
ordered from *many* places n the web."

For an example. see Print File's web site at
http://www.printfile.com/

CSM1

      12th Jul 2004
"RSD99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RnoIc.13233$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "B." posted:
> "...
> - Is there a better storage mechanism for negative strips than the
> ring folder page type (paper one side plastic other designed for
> strips to be slid in). I find this storage medium tedious if I need to
> return to an image several times but I need to ensure the film is
> protected so I go on using them. Are there any alternatives?
> ..."
>
> Several companies make transparent storage "pages." The ones I usually are

made by Print
> File, Clear File, or View-All. Most photo vendors will have them in stock,

or they can be
> ordered from *many* places n the web."
>
> For an example. see Print File's web site at
> http://www.printfile.com/

I use Photo sheets and Notebooks from:
http://www.centuryphoto.com

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

B.

      12th Jul 2004
I hold the negatives by the edge but find it difficult not to touch
the image with all the fiddling around with these type of pages (I
find it hard to slide the film in or out smoothly). Are there some
companies products better than others?

I use Jessops ring binder page type (plastic on one side, tracing
paper like on the other), each row holding strips of 6. I make sure
the film is dry from processing but with my grip on [just the]
non-image part of the last picture it fights me all the way - wretched
stuff (it'll be after my tea next).

If there was a better way to store the strips (or, indeed a whole roll
intact) I'd be game for it..

Kennedy McEwen

      12th Jul 2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, B.
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I hold the negatives by the edge but find it difficult not to touch
>the image with all the fiddling around with these type of pages (I
>find it hard to slide the film in or out smoothly). Are there some
>companies products better than others?
>
>I use Jessops ring binder page type (plastic on one side, tracing
>paper like on the other), each row holding strips of 6. I make sure
>the film is dry from processing but with my grip on [just the]
>non-image part of the last picture it fights me all the way - wretched
>stuff (it'll be after my tea next).
>
>If there was a better way to store the strips (or, indeed a whole roll
>intact) I'd be game for it..

As long as the roll isn't longer than 15m (*some* rollfilm backs take
220ft or more!) then you could have a look at:
http://www.secol.co.uk/SLEEVEROLLS.HTM

I have never used this particular type, so I can't comment on ease of
use, but I used something similar about 20 years ago for convenience and
that stuff could even be rolled with the film.. sort of roll your own
negative storage.

Actually, I have been on the opposite quest since I have most of my film
processed commercially these days and a lot of places cut the film into
strips of 4 frames, not 6. This is slightly less convenient for
scanning but I have found the slightly diffuse polythene sleeves they
use to be far better than any of the "pro" type clear storage sheets for
the reason you give too - easier to get the film in and out only
touching the edges. Also, by sticking a ringbinder clasp down one side
they fit perfectly well into a conventional four ring A4 binder which I
interleave with "contact" sheets, that are archived with the content via
a referencing system on a data base for quick and easy retrieval.

Problem is, I would like to get a roll of this polythene sheeting so
that I can transfer a lot of my old uncut rolls into the more convenient
storage and archive method.

I even tried writing to Boots in Nottingham (I accidentally discovered
that Boots stores use these sleeves to return negatives these days) but
they couldn't or wouldn't supply them or provide details of where they
procure them. :-(
--
Kennedy

B.

      13th Jul 2004
Thanks for the info - these rolls look pretty reasonable! When I lived
in the US for a few years I used www.bhphotovideo.com for most of my
photographic needs - I looked to see if they did the rolls that you
are looking for. It seems that they have lots and lots of different
systems but I couldn't find the you require (may be worth a browse
incase I missed something).

It's a great site genarally and despite the sometimes surely phone
manner, these are one of the best US mail order comanies (along with
www.focuscamera.com) that I have used (others advertise cheaper but
often use bait and switch tactics that end up costing more).

false_dmitrii

      13th Jul 2004
(E-Mail Removed) (B.) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I hold the negatives by the edge but find it difficult not to touch
> the image with all the fiddling around with these type of pages (I
> find it hard to slide the film in or out smoothly). Are there some
> companies products better than others?

<snip>

I don't have a long history of properly storing my negatives. So far,
my best efforts removing film from binder sheets involved inching the
film forward from the far end (near the binder) with one hand, while
using my other hand to hold the affected row of the storage sheet
rigid with a very slight bend along the middle to keep the overall
path straight. Once the film emerged, it was easy to grab an edge and
pull it on out. When putting it back, it was again important to
"prep" the plastic by attempting to hold it level. It can help to
keep a finger stretched out along the underside. I then guided the
negative gradually, one side at a time, to keep it from running up
against either edge of the storage sheet.

B., do you use gloves? Even cheap ones can make a world of
difference. These worked fine once I crammed my hands into them:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE...type=SPDSEARCH

They catch a little easily on binder rings and the ends of the
negative, and anything else you might label a "protrusion", but they
haven't caused any problems with the images so far.

I don't mean to presume, since the rest of your post indicates you're
much closer to Kennedy's experience level than my own limited one.

false_dmitrii

Kennedy McEwen

      13th Jul 2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, B.
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Thanks for the info - these rolls look pretty reasonable! When I lived
>in the US for a few years I used www.bhphotovideo.com for most of my
>photographic needs - I looked to see if they did the rolls that you
>are looking for. It seems that they have lots and lots of different
>systems but I couldn't find the you require (may be worth a browse
>incase I missed something).

I have looked through the B&H list a while back, without any luck. I
did look again though based on your suggestion and whilst they don't
have what I was looking for they do, however, have the stuff you are
looking for, in 1000ft, 500ft and 250ft rolls, unperforated or
perforated at 24 or 36 exposure lengths in 2 and 3mil thickness - quite
a variety.

Just got to:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...search&Q=&ci=8
96