Need text editor that reformats blocks of text between margins

wylbur37

      10th Feb 2006
I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
specified margins.

In case there's any question as to what I mean,
A "block of text" is any group of characters on one or more lines,
delimited by one or more blank lines.
To "reformat" a block of text means to re-position the words of that
block so that all the words fit between the left margin column and the
right margin column and with only one space between words.

TE (Tiny Editor) works for this purpose, but it's limited to file
sizes of no more than 64K.

PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, and there's no limit to file
size, but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
to work only sometimes but not other times.

Does anyone know of a text editor that reformats blocks of text
between specified margins, and has no file size limit (or at least a
file size limit of more than 64K)?

cphillips581

      10th Feb 2006
On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
>specified margins.
>
>In case there's any question as to what I mean,
>A "block of text" is any group of characters on one or more lines,
>delimited by one or more blank lines.
>To "reformat" a block of text means to re-position the words of that
>block so that all the words fit between the left margin column and the
>right margin column and with only one space between words.
>
>TE (Tiny Editor) works for this purpose, but it's limited to file
>sizes of no more than 64K.
>
>PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, and there's no limit to file
>size, but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
>to work only sometimes but not other times.
>
>Does anyone know of a text editor that reformats blocks of text
>between specified margins, and has no file size limit (or at least a
>file size limit of more than 64K)?

I run Notetab Pro myself, but I think NoteTab Light might be able to
do what you are asking. The reformat function is found under the
Modify menu, select Lines and then Reformat Lines. The text to be
reformated must be selected first.

http://www.notetab.com

http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php

Lord Possum

      10th Feb 2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, cphillips581
@comcast.net says...
> On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
> >specified margins.

==================

Here is what you want:

http://www.pspad.com/

You have specified the exact reason that I used PSPAD in the first
place. Just to be certain that we are on the same page .. PSPAD
will take ANY old text file, whether a single loooooong string, or
varying size lines one after another; then you can reshape the
margins however many characters wide that you desire, including
setting of the left and right hand margins. Then, by choosing the
BLOCK REFORMAT options, PSPAD does its thing. Save it to a new file
and the new format STAYS put for any other editing client, even
MS Word, etc. Wonderful! It actually deletes existing OA and OD
bytes (line returns, etc), and replaces them where needed in the
new saved document.

Frank Bohan

      10th Feb 2006

"cphillips581" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
>>specified margins.
>>
>>In case there's any question as to what I mean,
>>A "block of text" is any group of characters on one or more lines,
>>delimited by one or more blank lines.
>>To "reformat" a block of text means to re-position the words of that
>>block so that all the words fit between the left margin column and the
>>right margin column and with only one space between words.
>>
>>TE (Tiny Editor) works for this purpose, but it's limited to file
>>sizes of no more than 64K.
>>
>>PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, and there's no limit to file
>>size, but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
>>to work only sometimes but not other times.
>>
>>Does anyone know of a text editor that reformats blocks of text
>>between specified margins, and has no file size limit (or at least a
>>file size limit of more than 64K)?

> I run Notetab Pro myself, but I think NoteTab Light might be able to
> do what you are asking. The reformat function is found under the
> Modify menu, select Lines and then Reformat Lines. The text to be
> reformated must be selected first.
>
> http://www.notetab.com
>
> http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php

I also use Notetab Pro but I also have Notetab Lite. I can confirm that the
Lite version can do what is required but I question the above method of
doing it. I don't see "Reformat Lines" under "Lines" in either version
(yours may be a different version). However, it can be done by selecting
Document > check "Word Wrap" and "Wrap to Column" > Enter the width required
(in number of characters) > Click OK.

There is no facility for full justification without a jagged right edge on
the Lite version, but as OP only requires a single space between lines this
would not seem to be a problem.

===

Frank Bohan
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it swim backstroke.

cphillips581

      11th Feb 2006
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:18:16 -0000, "Frank Bohan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"cphillips581" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
>>>specified margins.
>>>
>>>In case there's any question as to what I mean,
>>>A "block of text" is any group of characters on one or more lines,
>>>delimited by one or more blank lines.
>>>To "reformat" a block of text means to re-position the words of that
>>>block so that all the words fit between the left margin column and the
>>>right margin column and with only one space between words.
>>>
>>>TE (Tiny Editor) works for this purpose, but it's limited to file
>>>sizes of no more than 64K.
>>>
>>>PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, and there's no limit to file
>>>size, but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
>>>to work only sometimes but not other times.
>>>
>>>Does anyone know of a text editor that reformats blocks of text
>>>between specified margins, and has no file size limit (or at least a
>>>file size limit of more than 64K)?

>> I run Notetab Pro myself, but I think NoteTab Light might be able to
>> do what you are asking. The reformat function is found under the
>> Modify menu, select Lines and then Reformat Lines. The text to be
>> reformated must be selected first.
>>
>> http://www.notetab.com
>>
>> http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php

>I also use Notetab Pro but I also have Notetab Lite. I can confirm that the
>Lite version can do what is required but I question the above method of
>doing it. I don't see "Reformat Lines" under "Lines" in either version
>(yours may be a different version). However, it can be done by selecting
>Document > check "Word Wrap" and "Wrap to Column" > Enter the width required
>(in number of characters) > Click OK.
>
>There is no facility for full justification without a jagged right edge on
>the Lite version, but as OP only requires a single space between lines this
>would not seem to be a problem.
>
>===
>
>Frank Bohan
> You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it swim backstroke.

Shift+Ctrl+M brings up the same reformat info that running thru the
menus does.

wylbur37

      12th Feb 2006
Lord Possum wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, cphillips581
> @comcast.net says...
> > On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
> > >specified margins.

> ==================
>
> Here is what you want:
>
> http://www.pspad.com/

You didn't bother to read the entire posting. I did say the following

PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, ...
...but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
to work only sometimes but not other times.

Lord Possum

      13th Feb 2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> You didn't bother to read the entire posting. I did say the following
>
> PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, ...
> ...but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
> to work only sometimes but not other times.

I read the whole thing. PSPAD has no bug that I can detect. It
has worked flawlessly, doing s-p-e-c-i-f-i-c-a-l-l-y what you
want for all of my needs several times a week. But, then ..
I use version 4.3.2 (2006) How, does it not work sometimes
for you?

wylbur37

      15th Feb 2006
Lord Possum wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> > You didn't bother to read the entire posting. I did say the following
> > PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, ...
> > ...but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
> > to work only sometimes but not other times.

> I read the whole thing. PSPAD has no bug that I can detect. It
> has worked flawlessly, doing s-p-e-c-i-f-i-c-a-l-l-y what you
> want for all of my needs several times a week. But, then ..
> I use version 4.3.2 (2006) How, does it not work sometimes
> for you?

Using PSPAD 4.5.0,
If I take the following 5 blocks of text and reformat it
after setting the right edge to 55 ...

-------------------- begin sample text --------------------

[...]

-------------------- end sample text --------------------

I get the following result ...

-------------------- begin sample text --------------------

[...]

Notice that the first 3 blocks of text were completely unformatted
and unraveled into a single line.
(If the second block looks formatted it's only because of the line wrap
that occurred
from posting this message).
The fourth block was almost correct (the word "there's" should have
been on the first line).
Only the fifth block was correctly done.

Does anyone know where I can download previous versions of PSPAD?
such as version 4.3.3 or 4.3.2 ?

Jonathan Aquino

      24th Feb 2006
jEdit will do what you want. Edit > Text > Format Paragraph.