Need help with recovery!

mattbraunstein@gmail.com

      4th Mar 2012
Hoping someone here can help!

Running Windows 7, with Crucial 128GB SSD M4 as boot and 2 1TB WD Caviar Blacks as storage.

Problem began when I upgraded my boot drive with the Crucial drive listed above. Had no issues at the time with the Caviar drives. Removed the old boot drive, installed the new SSD drive and reinstalled Windows with no issues. Kept the storage drives uncabled at the time.

After installing Windows, hooked the Caviar drives back up and 1 would not show at all. Changed cables, double checked connections to no avail.

Went into Computer Management > Disk Management and got the drive to finally show there, but it had no drive letter. It was telling me I had to initialize the disk before I could use it. Did some checking on the net and found that "initialization" was not "formatting" so I initialized the drive, which took a matter of seconds.

Now the drive shows no data at all. It's showing in RAW format and says itneeds formatting in order to use, which obviously I don't want to do.

Not sure what else to try. I have access to partition software (Partition Master) and data recovery software (OnTrack EasyRecovery) but I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Other than the initialization of the drive, I haven't done anything else: haven't wrote any data to the drive (can't even if I wanted to) and haven't formatted the drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Yousuf Khan

      4th Mar 2012
On 04/03/2012 1:41 PM, http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hoping someone here can help!
>
> Running Windows 7, with Crucial 128GB SSD M4 as boot and 2 1TB WD Caviar Blacks as storage.
>
> Problem began when I upgraded my boot drive with the Crucial drive listed above. Had no issues at the time with the Caviar drives. Removed the old boot drive, installed the new SSD drive and reinstalled Windows with no issues. Kept the storage drives uncabled at the time.
>
> After installing Windows, hooked the Caviar drives back up and 1 would not show at all. Changed cables, double checked connections to no avail.
>
> Went into Computer Management> Disk Management and got the drive to finally show there, but it had no drive letter. It was telling me I had to initialize the disk before I could use it. Did some checking on the net and found that "initialization" was not "formatting" so I initialized the drive, which took a matter of seconds.
>
> Now the drive shows no data at all. It's showing in RAW format and says it needs formatting in order to use, which obviously I don't want to do.
>
> Not sure what else to try. I have access to partition software (Partition Master) and data recovery software (OnTrack EasyRecovery) but I'm not sure what I'm doing.
>
> Other than the initialization of the drive, I haven't done anything else: haven't wrote any data to the drive (can't even if I wanted to) and haven't formatted the drive.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Here's a couple of them you might want to try:

Active@ Partition Recovery. Recover Deleted Partition. Undelete NTFS &
FAT partitions.
http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Partition recovery software undelete hard disk drive restore deleted
files utility tools
http://www.datadoctor.org/

I haven't tried either of them.

Also there is a linux-based live-cd solution available, that's free.
It's called BootMed, and it's meant for fixing Windows problems. I have
tried this. It's got various utilities like anti-virus scanners,
partitioners, etc. I've not tried it to see if it can recover existing
partitions, but you can try it.

BootMed - The Best Medicine for a Computer that Won't Boot, and other
Ailments
http://www.bootmed.com/

Yousuf Khan

Rod Speed

      4th Mar 2012
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hoping someone here can help!

> Running Windows 7, with Crucial 128GB SSD M4
> as boot and 2 1TB WD Caviar Blacks as storage.

> Problem began when I upgraded my boot drive with the Crucial
> drive listed above. Had no issues at the time with the Caviar drives.
> Removed the old boot drive, installed the new SSD drive and
> reinstalled Windows with no issues. Kept the storage drives uncabled
> at the time.

> After installing Windows, hooked the Caviar drives back up and 1would not
> show at all. Changed cables, double checked connections to no avail.

This is where you needed to 'take ownership' of those 2 1TB drives.

> Went into Computer Management > Disk Management and got the
> drive to finally show there, but it had no drive letter. It was telling
> me I had to initialize the disk before I could use it. Did some checking
> on the net and found that "initialization" was not "formatting" so I
> initialized the drive, which took a matter of seconds.

Thats where you went wrong.

> Now the drive shows no data at all. It's showing in RAW format and says
> it needs formatting in order to use, which obviously I don't want to do.

> Not sure what else to try.

You could try one of the recovery systems.

> I have access to partition software (Partition Master) and data recovery
> software (OnTrack EasyRecovery) but I'm not sure what I'm doing.

And presumably you dont have proper backups, so you'd be best to get
someone who knows what they are doing to recover from what you did

> Other than the initialization of the drive, I haven't done anything else:

That is where you went wrong.

> haven't wrote any data to the drive (can't even if I wanted to)
> and haven't formatted the drive.

> Any thoughts?

See above.

If you dont care much about the data, one of the recovery systems
may well be able to recover the data, but since you dont know what
you are doing, thats risking your data severely if you dont have backups.

Rob

      5th Mar 2012
> Hoping someone here can help!
>
> Running Windows 7, with Crucial 128GB SSD M4 as boot and 2 1TB WD Caviar Blacks as storage.
>
> Problem began when I upgraded my boot drive with the Crucial drive listed above. Had no issues at the time with the Caviar drives. Removed the old boot drive, installed the new SSD drive and reinstalled Windows with no issues. Kept the storage drives uncabled at the time.
>
> After installing Windows, hooked the Caviar drives back up and 1 would not show at all. Changed cables, double checked connections to no avail.
>
> Went into Computer Management> Disk Management and got the drive to finally show there, but it had no drive letter. It was telling me I had to initialize the disk before I could use it. Did some checking on the net and found that "initialization" was not "formatting" so I initialized the drive, which took a matter of seconds.
>
> Now the drive shows no data at all. It's showing in RAW format and says it needs formatting in order to use, which obviously I don't want to do.
>
> Not sure what else to try. I have access to partition software (Partition Master) and data recovery software (OnTrack EasyRecovery) but I'm not sure what I'm doing.
>
> Other than the initialization of the drive, I haven't done anything else: haven't wrote any data to the drive (can't even if I wanted to) and haven't formatted the drive.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance.

My take on what has happened is you have two drives with the same label.
You have never assigned a drive letter/label and left it blank.

As an example I have formatted a HDD, left the label blank which made
the HDD invisible - only found it in the management and added the label
and it showed.

In the computer management there are other options to use to make the
drive active but initialise or format are not the way.

Or If you can see but can't read the drive more than likely you do not
have ownership over the files and folders they will remain hidden.

Jamesh Koler

      6th Mar 2012
Use Kernel for Windows Data Recovery software and recover deleted or
lost files, folders from Windows partitions (FAT & NTFS). It doesn’t
matter whether you have deleted the required data from Recycle Bin by
using Shift+Delete keys, with this software it is easily possible to
recover the data in all situation. The best aspect about this tool is
it allows you to recover data also from deleted or corrupt partitions
of Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, XP, 2000, 2003, Windows Vista.
For more information - http://www.windowsdatarecovery.com

Banned

      2nd Jul 2012
Dear Friend,
You can use any Third party Data Recovery software one of them is Recoveryfix for Windows Data Recovery tool that can help you restore the virus infected corrupted and formatted data from NTFS / FAT file system based windows operating system. In fact, with this utility it gets lot easier to recover data even from other storage media such as PEN drive etc
If you want to free trial download it from here..http://www.recoverpartition.org/

Thanks
Lucy