need fix for vulnerability

scubadiver

      8th Sep 2008
I have scand my computer thru Trend Micro, and it tells me that i have four
vulnerabilities that they can not fix. there is an error for getting any
information about this problem. is just tels you to go in and remove them
manuely. i have updated windows and rescand at Trend Micro, but they are
still there. these are the names. MS08-031, MS08-033, MS08-046, MS08-049. can
anybody help me on this one. i tryed turning off all my scurity and running
all the updates and scands to maks sure that there was not a blocking issue.

thanks

Bill Sanderson

      9th Sep 2008
These numbers indicate specific patches that you need to apply to your
system

Windows Update or Microsoft Update (or perhaps autoupdate) should install
these automatically.

What version of Windows?

What happens if you go to Windows Update and do an Express scan?

You should apply everything offered on an express scan, and then re-do the
scan to see if anything additional is offered, and repeat until nothing is.

"scubadiver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have scand my computer thru Trend Micro, and it tells me that i have four
> vulnerabilities that they can not fix. there is an error for getting any
> information about this problem. is just tels you to go in and remove them
> manuely. i have updated windows and rescand at Trend Micro, but they are
> still there. these are the names. MS08-031, MS08-033, MS08-046, MS08-049.
> can
> anybody help me on this one. i tryed turning off all my scurity and
> running
> all the updates and scands to maks sure that there was not a blocking
> issue.
>
> thanks

Kayman

      9th Sep 2008
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:43:01 -0700, scubadiver wrote:

> I have scand my computer thru Trend Micro, and it tells me that i have four
> vulnerabilities that they can not fix. there is an error for getting any
> information about this problem. is just tels you to go in and remove them
> manuely. i have updated windows and rescand at Trend Micro, but they are
> still there. these are the names. MS08-031, MS08-033, MS08-046, MS08-049. can
> anybody help me on this one. i tryed turning off all my scurity and running
> all the updates and scands to maks sure that there was not a blocking issue.

That's a poor performance; Have you paid for this software?

Submit Consumer Support Case...
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/supp...ubmitonline.do
....and state your problem (as per your original post).

--or--

You could try to contact their tech support at:

1-800-864-6027 or 1-800-228-5651

Good luck

Kayman

      9th Sep 2008
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:43:01 -0700, scubadiver wrote:

> I have scand my computer thru Trend Micro, and it tells me that i have four
> vulnerabilities that they can not fix. there is an error for getting any
> information about this problem. is just tels you to go in and remove them
> manuely. i have updated windows and rescand at Trend Micro, but they are
> still there. these are the names. MS08-031, MS08-033, MS08-046, MS08-049. can
> anybody help me on this one. i tryed turning off all my scurity and running
> all the updates and scands to maks sure that there was not a blocking issue.

Ignore my previous post! Bill is right, the 'names' your are referring to
are MS updates which may apply to your operating system. Go to:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us
and double check.

scubadiver

      9th Sep 2008
Bill,

I went to microsoft and did the express updates and it tells me there are no
updates for my computer. I even went to custom to see if there are single
updates i could install but there are none. do you know? i run XP Pro.

Michael

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> These numbers indicate specific patches that you need to apply to your
> system
>
> Windows Update or Microsoft Update (or perhaps autoupdate) should install
> these automatically.
>
> What version of Windows?
>
> What happens if you go to Windows Update and do an Express scan?
>
> You should apply everything offered on an express scan, and then re-do the
> scan to see if anything additional is offered, and repeat until nothing is.
>

> "scubadiver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have scand my computer thru Trend Micro, and it tells me that i have four
> > vulnerabilities that they can not fix. there is an error for getting any
> > information about this problem. is just tels you to go in and remove them
> > manuely. i have updated windows and rescand at Trend Micro, but they are
> > still there. these are the names. MS08-031, MS08-033, MS08-046, MS08-049.
> > can
> > anybody help me on this one. i tryed turning off all my scurity and
> > running
> > all the updates and scands to maks sure that there was not a blocking
> > issue.
> >
> > thanks

Bill Sanderson

      9th Sep 2008
In general, I would trust Microsoft's update process to have gotten this
right. However, since Trend Micro seems to disagree, you might want to try
some other tools to get a majority opinion.

From Microsoft:

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer

you want the file MBSASetup-x86-en.msi

I'd not worry too much about the other details this tool checks, unless you
understand them and want to try to achieve a more secure system using its
recommendations--it is a tool for IT professionals. However, do look at
whether it says you need any further patches to Windows or to Office.

Now that I think of it, I did not check that list of patches--it is possible
they might be for Office, rather than for Windows.

When you go to Windows Update--doe the heading say Microsoft Update? Do you
get a screen suggesting that you switch to Microsoft Update?

(when I get time--by the end of the day--I'll look at your patch list and
see whether they are for Windows, or for Office)

A tool from another vendor:

PSI, from Secunia.com

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/

middle button.

This tool will also look at whether Windows and Office are patched
fully--and it has easy to use buttons to put in patches that are missing.
Additionally, it looks at a good many third-party programs which you may
have installed and which may have vulnerabilities for which updates are
available.

You could also just try their online scan--left button--but I've not done
that and I don't know what it covers.