Need to disable offer from Outlook Express "to free up disk space, outlook express can compact messages"

Kevin J. Nielsen

      2nd Apr 2007
Every time I close Outlook Express, I get the following message: "to free up
disk space, outlook express can compact messages."

I have read about this and I understand it does not diminish the integrity
of my messages.

However, the problem I have is that I cannot stand it when programs like
this keep bugging me relentlessly until I do what they want me to do. I
want to have the choice to say yes or no. This program does not give me
that choice because it keeps bugging me until it gets its way.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop these
annoying pop-ups.

Thank You very much

Keven

You Know Who ~

      2nd Apr 2007
Microsoft went to this because people didn't compact space as they should
have. You either let things go too long (in which case you should get the
message) or you have enourmous space requirements (do you keep ALL of your
emails?). The prudent thing to do is to compact periodically, manually
before the message screams at you to do something you should have already
done.

--
YKW~
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have

"Kevin J. Nielsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every time I close Outlook Express, I get the following message: "to free
> up disk space, outlook express can compact messages."
>
> I have read about this and I understand it does not diminish the integrity
> of my messages.
>
> However, the problem I have is that I cannot stand it when programs like
> this keep bugging me relentlessly until I do what they want me to do. I
> want to have the choice to say yes or no. This program does not give me
> that choice because it keeps bugging me until it gets its way.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop these
> annoying pop-ups.
>

> Thank You very much
>

> Keven

Kevin J. Nielsen

      2nd Apr 2007
Thank you for your response. It is nice to know I can compact manually if I
want to. However, I would still like the decision to be mine. I wish to
have a choice but Microsoft gives me no choice. I guess it was in one of
the updates I received from Microsoft. Thank you, that gives me a clue, I
could start uninstalling the updates until the problem goes away.

Keven

"You Know Who ~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft went to this because people didn't compact space as they should
> have. You either let things go too long (in which case you should get the
> message) or you have enourmous space requirements (do you keep ALL of your
> emails?). The prudent thing to do is to compact periodically, manually
> before the message screams at you to do something you should have already
> done.
>
> --
> YKW~
> "Clothes make the man. Naked people have
> little or no influence in society" Mark Twain (1835-1910)
>

> "Kevin J. Nielsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Every time I close Outlook Express, I get the following message: "to free
>> up disk space, outlook express can compact messages."
>>
>> I have read about this and I understand it does not diminish the
>> integrity of my messages.
>>
>> However, the problem I have is that I cannot stand it when programs like
>> this keep bugging me relentlessly until I do what they want me to do. I
>> want to have the choice to say yes or no. This program does not give me
>> that choice because it keeps bugging me until it gets its way.
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop these
>> annoying pop-ups.
>>

>> Thank You very much
>>

>> Keven

Gordon

      2nd Apr 2007
Kevin J. Nielsen wrote:

> Thank you for your response. It is nice to know I can compact manually if
> want to. However, I would still like the decision to be mine. I wish to
> have a choice but Microsoft gives me no choice. I guess it was in one of
> the updates I received from Microsoft. Thank you, that gives me a clue, I
> could start uninstalling the updates until the problem goes away.
>
> Keven

The reason it was changed to automatic was that if you do not compact OE
folders on a regular basis (and the setting for the automatic compaction is
having launched OE 100 times - so if you only open it once a day then
automatic compaction is only offered just over every THREE months.....)
there is grave danger of folder corruption.....and there were many posts on
the OE groups complaining about sudden corruption of folders and loss of
data, all due to not compacting on a regular basis.

Jerry Ed

      2nd Apr 2007
I use the following because my computer is on at 1:00AM every morning:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools,
and then click Scheduled Tasks.
Add Scheduled Task

Under the Task tab > Run: , type C:\Tasks\RunTasks.bat
Under the Task tab > Start in: , type C:\Tasks
Under the Task tab > Run as: , your computer name\your account name
(Note: the account name must have a password (not blank), for Scheduled Task
service to run)
Under the Task tab > check the box for "Enabled (scheduled task runs at
specified time)"

Under the Schedule tab > Schedule Task:, enter Daily
Under the Schedule tab > Start time:, enter 1:00AM
Under the Schedule tab > Every:, enter 1
Hit OK and exit .

Open Windows Explorer.
Create the directory Tasks on the C: drive (C:\Tasks)
Use Notepad to create the following .bat files and .reg file in C:\Tasks

----RunTasks.bat----------------------
@ECHO OFF
REM ---------change registry so email wont compress---
call C:\Tasks\NoCompact.bat

----NoCompact.bat-------------------
regedit.exe /s C:\Tasks\NoCompact.reg

----NoCompact.reg-------------------
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{......what ever your idenity
is.........}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]
"Compact Check Count"=dword:00000000

The above registery change makes sure that the count never gets to 100
(which causes the compress or pop-ups).
The counter is set to zero every night at 1:00AM.
I can compress the email whenever I think about it...which is not to often.

If you do NOT want to run a scheduled task every day, then create a batch
file
that launches Outlook Express.
The batch file also includes the procedure to zero the count.

----LaunchOE.bat-----------------------------
@ECHO OFF
REM ---------change registry so email wont compress---
call C:\Tasks\NoCompact.bat
MSIMN.EXE

Create a shortcut from LaunchOE.bat
Drag the shortcut to the desk top.
Use the shortcut to launch OE.

have a nice day,
JE

"Kevin J. Nielsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every time I close Outlook Express, I get the following message: "to free
> up disk space, outlook express can compact messages."
>
> I have read about this and I understand it does not diminish the integrity
> of my messages.
>
> However, the problem I have is that I cannot stand it when programs like
> this keep bugging me relentlessly until I do what they want me to do. I
> want to have the choice to say yes or no. This program does not give me
> that choice because it keeps bugging me until it gets its way.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop these
> annoying pop-ups.
>

> Thank You very much
>

> Keven

Jerry Ed

      2nd Apr 2007
Forget the LaunchOE.bat suggestion....it doesn't work.
JE

"Jerry Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>

> Create a shortcut from LaunchOE.bat
> Drag the shortcut to the desk top.
> Use the shortcut to launch OE.
>
> have a nice day,
> JE
>

> "Kevin J. Nielsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Every time I close Outlook Express, I get the following message: "to free
>> up disk space, outlook express can compact messages."
>>
>> I have read about this and I understand it does not diminish the
>> integrity of my messages.
>>
>> However, the problem I have is that I cannot stand it when programs like
>> this keep bugging me relentlessly until I do what they want me to do. I
>> want to have the choice to say yes or no. This program does not give me
>> that choice because it keeps bugging me until it gets its way.
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop these

PA Bear

      2nd Apr 2007
> ...I could start uninstalling the updates until the problem goes away.

It's not a problem, it's behavior you dislike.

If you want to risk corruption of your OE store (possible loss of some or
all of your messages) and run a much-less secure version of OE, go right
ahead and do that, Keven/Kevin. You'd be cutting off your nose to spite
your face IMHO.
--
~PA Bear

Kevin J. Nielsen wrote:
> Thank you for your response. It is nice to know I can compact manually if
> want to. However, I would still like the decision to be mine. I wish to
> have a choice but Microsoft gives me no choice. I guess it was in one of
> the updates I received from Microsoft. Thank you, that gives me a clue, I
> could start uninstalling the updates until the problem goes away.
>
> Keven
>

> "You Know Who ~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Microsoft went to this because people didn't compact space as they should
>> have. You either let things go too long (in which case you should get
>> the
>> message) or you have enourmous space requirements (do you keep ALL of
>> your
>> emails?). The prudent thing to do is to compact periodically, manually
>> before the message screams at you to do something you should have already
>> done.
>>
>> --
>> YKW~
>> "Clothes make the man. Naked people have
>> little or no influence in society" Mark Twain (1835-1910)
>>

>> "Kevin J. Nielsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Every time I close Outlook Express, I get the following message: "to
>>> free
>>> up disk space, outlook express can compact messages."
>>>
>>> I have read about this and I understand it does not diminish the
>>> integrity of my messages.
>>>
>>> However, the problem I have is that I cannot stand it when programs like
>>> this keep bugging me relentlessly until I do what they want me to do. I
>>> want to have the choice to say yes or no. This program does not give me
>>> that choice because it keeps bugging me until it gets its way.
>>>
>>> I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop these
>>> annoying pop-ups.
>>>

>>> Thank You very much
>>>

>>> Keven

Jerry Ed

      2nd Apr 2007
You have to use:
start C:\Progra~1\Outloo~1\MSIMN.EXE

> [...]
>

> Create a shortcut from LaunchOE.bat
> Drag the shortcut to the desk top.
> Use the shortcut to launch OE.
>
> have a nice day,
> JE
>

> "Kevin J. Nielsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Every time I close Outlook Express, I get the following message: "to free
>> up disk space, outlook express can compact messages."
>>
>> I have read about this and I understand it does not diminish the
>> integrity of my messages.
>>
>> However, the problem I have is that I cannot stand it when programs like
>> this keep bugging me relentlessly until I do what they want me to do. I
>> want to have the choice to say yes or no. This program does not give me
>> that choice because it keeps bugging me until it gets its way.
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop these

Kevin J. Nielsen

      3rd Apr 2007
It is my understanding that the only way I would risk corruption is if I
wait too long between compacting OE messages. If I never compact OE at all,
I have no risk of corruption.

That is exactly what I would like to do.. Never compact my messages. I wish
to never risk my messages at all. I have plenty of HD space and I am not
worried about the space requirements, I simply want to have a choice.

Are you guys going to keep hekling me or does someone have an anwer to my
question

Keven

"PA Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ...I could start uninstalling the updates until the problem goes away.

> It's not a problem, it's behavior you dislike.
>
> If you want to risk corruption of your OE store (possible loss of some or
> all of your messages) and run a much-less secure version of OE, go right
> ahead and do that, Keven/Kevin. You'd be cutting off your nose to spite
> your face IMHO.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Kevin J. Nielsen wrote:
>> Thank you for your response. It is nice to know I can compact manually
>> if I
>> want to. However, I would still like the decision to be mine. I wish to
>> have a choice but Microsoft gives me no choice. I guess it was in one of
>> the updates I received from Microsoft. Thank you, that gives me a clue,
>> could start uninstalling the updates until the problem goes away.
>>
>> Keven
>>

>> "You Know Who ~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Microsoft went to this because people didn't compact space as they
>>> should
>>> have. You either let things go too long (in which case you should get
>>> the
>>> message) or you have enourmous space requirements (do you keep ALL of
>>> your
>>> emails?). The prudent thing to do is to compact periodically, manually
>>> before the message screams at you to do something you should have
>>> already
>>> done.
>>>
>>> --
>>> YKW~
>>> "Clothes make the man. Naked people have
>>> little or no influence in society" Mark Twain (1835-1910)
>>>

>>> "Kevin J. Nielsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Gordon

      3rd Apr 2007
Kevin J. Nielsen wrote:

> It is my understanding that the only way I would risk corruption is if I
> wait too long between compacting OE messages. If I never compact OE at
> all, I have no risk of corruption.

That's not correct AFAIK - many problems in OE with regard to corrupt
folders and loss of data seem to be caused precisely BECAUSE the user did
not compact on a regular basis....