Need to change Domain

Jeff

      18th Jul 2003
I just connected my two home PC's together through my DSL
modem and ethernet. Old PC is running Win2k Pro and new
PC is running Win XP.

On my old PC I have enabled automatic logon. I changed
the Workgroup\Domain from WORKGROUP to HOME.

Now when I reboot the old PC, I get the message:
The system could not log you on. Make sure your User
name and domain are correct...

Any ideas how to either change my Workgroup\Domain back
to WORKGROUP or modify the auto logon to use the Domain
HOME would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

DDT

      19th Jul 2003
Hi Jeff:
Just a suggestion:
If it is Windows 2000 , try to change the "domain name"
in the logon dialog, it is the 3rd edit box in the dialog,then
you can Enter the name:Administrator,password:
Have a try and tell me the result!

news:071d01c34d31$c420b540$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to figure out how to open regedit when I can't
> logon. My disk uses the NTFS format. I've tried using
> the Repair Console but that just reboots my PC and takes
> me back the initial logon dialog box.
>
> Is there another regedit product available that will work
> outside of Win2k that work with an NTFS format?
>
> As far as I know, my PC using auto logon, has a UserID of
> administrator without a password for the WORKGROUP
> domain. Since I changed the domain to HOME before
> rebooting, I have not figured out a way to logon and get
> back to regedit.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

New Member

      2nd May 2007
Hi,

i am also having the same problem. i took my laptop which is windows 2k out of the domain and put it on a workgroup - HOME. when i rebooted the machine i could not log on, it kept saying check username and password. also i dont have the option to enter a domain or log into this computer. the only boxes i have are for the username and password. i also dont have a local user account.

i ran a program languard and it was showing that when laptop was at the login screen it had an ip address. i was thinking of trying to remotely access the registry and try change it back to the domain. does anyone know what parameters i need to set or look for.

also is it possible to create a local account from the regedit.

thanks in advanced for the assistance.

scoobie.