Need a certain freeware search utility

wylbur37

      19th May 2005
I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
capabilities ...

1. Locate all files ...
(a) whose filename begins with "abc"
OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"

Ideally, I should be able to put the filename criteria in a text
file and simply specify the name of the file. (That way, I can
repeat searches on different drives at different times without
having to retype all the criteria). The file representing the above
criteria might contain something like this ...

abc*
xyz*.exe
specific.dat

2. Locate all files that contain the string "first" and the string
"second" in the same file, but NOT necessarily the same line.
(In fact, the file should not be assumed to be a text file and
therefore the entire file should be treated as one continuous
stream of characters anyway).

So, is there a freeware search utility that does both of the above?

If there isn't one that does both, I'm willing to use two different
programs as long as one program can do one and the other program can
do the other.

Ian Riches

      19th May 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
> capabilities ...
>

> 1. Locate all files ...
> (a) whose filename begins with "abc"
> OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
> OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"

You haven't specified which OS you want this for, so I am assuming you
are running Windows? In that case, Windows itself (or at least my copy
of XP Pro) will do the above.

Open an Explorer window, choose "Search", and then enter the terms
separated by a semicolon.

> Ideally, I should be able to put the filename criteria in a text
> file and simply specify the name of the file.

That it cannot do.

> 2. Locate all files that contain the string "first" and the string
> "second" in the same file, but NOT necessarily the same line.
> (In fact, the file should not be assumed to be a text file and
> therefore the entire file should be treated as one continuous
> stream of characters anyway).

But that it can.

> So, is there a freeware search utility that does both of the above?

WinXP is not freeware (OT alert!), but if you have it already, you may
find that it is all that you need.

--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK

thoss

      19th May 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
wylbur37 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
>capabilities ...
>

>1. Locate all files ...
> (a) whose filename begins with "abc"
> OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
> OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"
>
> Ideally, I should be able to put the filename criteria in a text
> file and simply specify the name of the file. (That way, I can
> repeat searches on different drives at different times without
> having to retype all the criteria). The file representing the above
> criteria might contain something like this ...
>
> abc*
> xyz*.exe
> specific.dat
>

>2. Locate all files that contain the string "first" and the string
> "second" in the same file, but NOT necessarily the same line.
> (In fact, the file should not be assumed to be a text file and
> therefore the entire file should be treated as one continuous
> stream of characters anyway).
>

>So, is there a freeware search utility that does both of the above?
>
>If there isn't one that does both, I'm willing to use two different
>programs as long as one program can do one and the other program can
>do the other.

ZTree will do all this - and much more. (2) will need successive
searches for the two strings.

Unfortunately it isn't freeware, it's shareware. I find it
indispensable.
--
Thoss

Joe935

      19th May 2005
wylbur37 wrote:
:> I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
:> capabilities ...
:>
:>
[...]

Locate32 may meet some of your needs:
http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/english/softwares.shtml

Joe Calderone Don't Force it, Use a bigger Hammer.

Mel

      19th May 2005
>On 19 May 2005 02:45:19 -0700, "wylbur37" wrote:
>
>I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
>capabilities ...
>
>1. Locate all files ...
> (a) whose filename begins with "abc"
> OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
> OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"
>
> Ideally, I should be able to put the filename criteria in a text
> file and simply specify the name of the file. (That way, I can
> repeat searches on different drives at different times without
> having to retype all the criteria). The file representing the above
> criteria might contain something like this ...
>
> abc*
> xyz*.exe
> specific.dat
>
>2. Locate all files that contain the string "first" and the string
> "second" in the same file, but NOT necessarily the same line.
> (In fact, the file should not be assumed to be a text file and
> therefore the entire file should be treated as one continuous
> stream of characters anyway).
>
>So, is there a freeware search utility that does both of the above?
>
>If there isn't one that does both, I'm willing to use two different
>programs as long as one program can do one and the other program can
>do the other.

Agent Ransack is a free tool for finding files and information on your
hard drive fast and efficiently. When searching the contents of files
Agent Ransack displays the text found so you can quickly browse the
results without having to separately open each file!

Agent Ransack provides compelling advantages over similar search tools:
- Regular expressions that allow complex rule based searches.
- Immediate contents results view.
- Various wizards to walk the user through the searching process.

Agent Ransack is provided FREE of charge for the benefit of the Windows
community. If you find it useful please register it, free of charge.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransa...aspx?page=home

Donald Lessau

      19th May 2005
"wylbur37" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
> capabilities ...
>

> 1. Locate all files ...
> (a) whose filename begins with "abc"
> OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
> OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"

In TrackerV3 (http://www.trackerv3.com/) you'd enter "abc* or xyz*.exe or
specific.dat" as search term. You can then save this as a search template or
define it as a "find tab" (to have a one-click access to the search).

Your other wish: nope. No Boolean logic for contained strings in the current
version.

Don

jmatt

      20th May 2005
> ZTree will do all this - and much more. (2) will need successive
> searches for the two strings.
> Unfortunately it isn't freeware, it's shareware. I find it
> indispensable.
> Thoss

Thoss & others may like to know about this .

EXTREME
http://go.to/filextreme
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/news.html
The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
written. EXTREME is a
native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
elegance of XTREE with new
features such as long file names and protected memory support.

* Please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/sixfiles

thoss

      21st May 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jmatt <(E-Mail Removed)-dot-
au.no-spam.invalid> writes
>> ZTree will do all this - and much more. (2) will need successive
>> searches for the two strings.
>> Unfortunately it isn't freeware, it's shareware. I find it
>> indispensable.
>> Thoss

>Thoss & others may like to know about this .
>
>EXTREME
>http://go.to/filextreme
>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/news.html
>The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
>written.

Agreed. I still use it.

> EXTREME is a
>native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
>elegance of XTREE with new
>features such as long file names and protected memory support.

Thanks. I'll check it out. How does it compare with ZTree, though?
--
Thoss

David

      22nd May 2005
On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:50:18 +0100, thoss <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
furiously:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jmatt <(E-Mail Removed)-dot-
>au.no-spam.invalid> writes
>>> ZTree will do all this - and much more. (2) will need successive
>>> searches for the two strings.
>>> Unfortunately it isn't freeware, it's shareware. I find it
>>> indispensable.
>>> Thoss

>>Thoss & others may like to know about this .
>>
>>EXTREME
>>http://go.to/filextreme
>>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/news.html
>>The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
>>written.

>Agreed. I still use it.
>
>> EXTREME is a
>>native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
>>elegance of XTREE with new
>>features such as long file names and protected memory support.
>>

>Thanks. I'll check it out. How does it compare with ZTree, though?

I found XTREE to be clumsy in comparison with Stereo Shell. I'm only
sorry that Stereo Shell doesn't work with Long Filenames. I still use
it as my primary viewer for text files and quick movement of files in
a DOS environment.

--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

thoss

      23rd May 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:50:18 +0100, thoss <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
>furiously:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jmatt <(E-Mail Removed)-dot-
>>au.no-spam.invalid> writes
>>>
>>>Thoss & others may like to know about this .
>>>
>>>EXTREME
>>>http://go.to/filextreme
>>>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/news.html
>>>The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
>>>written.

>>Agreed. I still use it.
>>
>>> EXTREME is a
>>>native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
>>>elegance of XTREE with new
>>>features such as long file names and protected memory support.
>>>

>>Thanks. I'll check it out. How does it compare with ZTree, though?

>I found XTREE to be clumsy in comparison with Stereo Shell. I'm only
>sorry that Stereo Shell doesn't work with Long Filenames. I still use
>it as my primary viewer for text files and quick movement of files in
>a DOS environment.

Thanks for the suggestion; I haven't come across this before.
--
Thoss