PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Nasty spyware pop up message

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?amVycnlfeXM=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Nov 2007
recently i think i was exposed to some spyware and virus. i downloaded the
latest microsoft removal tool and their defender software. i ran both and it
seems that it took care of the poblem. the only annoying thing thats left is
that there is an icon on my task bar that resembles a shield and it blinks,
first red color with an X inside then blue with with question mark. at times
it pops up a message that i should click it to be led to a commercial site
that will get rid of the remaining spyware (at leat it claims so) how can i
remove this nasty message from popping up on occassions?
defender has identified this icon and i chose to not allow it to run in
actions, but it does no good. help please

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TXIgQ2F0?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Nov 2007
You still have spyware/malware. Since Windows Defender can't cut the mustard,
try free version of SuperAntiSpyware at superantispyware.com. Install,
update definitions and run a full scan. I have been very successfull using
this product and others in this newsgroup use it as well.

"jerry_ys" wrote:

> recently i think i was exposed to some spyware and virus. i downloaded the
> latest microsoft removal tool and their defender software. i ran both and it
> seems that it took care of the poblem. the only annoying thing thats left is
> that there is an icon on my task bar that resembles a shield and it blinks,
> first red color with an X inside then blue with with question mark. at times
> it pops up a message that i should click it to be led to a commercial site
> that will get rid of the remaining spyware (at leat it claims so) how can i
> remove this nasty message from popping up on occassions?
> defender has identified this icon and i chose to not allow it to run in
> actions, but it does no good. help please
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Nov 2007
Hello Jerry,

Report a possible spyware problem to Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...rtspyware.mspx

Can you follow the spyware submission instructions in the help to make sure
WD have your samples if you still have them?
-

Additional info: Doesn't hurt to try Mr Cat's recommendation first.

Smell like Smithfraud.

Scan Your Computer With the F-Secure Online Virus Scanner
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/olsbeta.shtml

Also have a look to this URLs provided by Dave M.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
- - ---

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...tion:_Overview
-- - - -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
- -- --

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- ---


LEARNING
The nation that has the schools has the future.—Bismarck




"jerry_ys" wrote:

> recently i think i was exposed to some spyware and virus. i downloaded the
> latest microsoft removal tool and their defender software. i ran both and it
> seems that it took care of the poblem. the only annoying thing thats left is
> that there is an icon on my task bar that resembles a shield and it blinks,
> first red color with an X inside then blue with with question mark. at times
> it pops up a message that i should click it to be led to a commercial site
> that will get rid of the remaining spyware (at leat it claims so) how can i
> remove this nasty message from popping up on occassions?
> defender has identified this icon and i chose to not allow it to run in
> actions, but it does no good. help please
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robinb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Nov 2007
ditto

"Mr Cat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You still have spyware/malware. Since Windows Defender can't cut the
> mustard,
> try free version of SuperAntiSpyware at superantispyware.com. Install,
> update definitions and run a full scan. I have been very successfull
> using
> this product and others in this newsgroup use it as well.
>
> "jerry_ys" wrote:
>
>> recently i think i was exposed to some spyware and virus. i downloaded
>> the
>> latest microsoft removal tool and their defender software. i ran both and
>> it
>> seems that it took care of the poblem. the only annoying thing thats left
>> is
>> that there is an icon on my task bar that resembles a shield and it
>> blinks,
>> first red color with an X inside then blue with with question mark. at
>> times
>> it pops up a message that i should click it to be led to a commercial
>> site
>> that will get rid of the remaining spyware (at leat it claims so) how can
>> i
>> remove this nasty message from popping up on occassions?
>> defender has identified this icon and i chose to not allow it to run in
>> actions, but it does no good. help please
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?amVycnlfeXM=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Nov 2007
I tried the superantispyware free edition, it found a lot of stuff which was
quarantined but the nasty system alert msg continues to pop up and request
for me to click on it and direct me to the commercial site for advanced
products to remove these problem.

im not much into systems, but i cant figure out how its so difficult to
remove a program causing this and residing on the task bar. thanks for the
help.


"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Jerry,
>
> Report a possible spyware problem to Microsoft
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...rtspyware.mspx
>
> Can you follow the spyware submission instructions in the help to make sure
> WD have your samples if you still have them?
> -
>
> Additional info: Doesn't hurt to try Mr Cat's recommendation first.
>
> Smell like Smithfraud.
>
> Scan Your Computer With the F-Secure Online Virus Scanner
> http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/olsbeta.shtml
>
> Also have a look to this URLs provided by Dave M.
>
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> - - ---
>
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...tion:_Overview
> -- - - -
>
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
> - -- --
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> - -- ---
>
>
> LEARNING
> The nation that has the schools has the future.—Bismarck
>
>
>
>
> "jerry_ys" wrote:
>
> > recently i think i was exposed to some spyware and virus. i downloaded the
> > latest microsoft removal tool and their defender software. i ran both and it
> > seems that it took care of the poblem. the only annoying thing thats left is
> > that there is an icon on my task bar that resembles a shield and it blinks,
> > first red color with an X inside then blue with with question mark. at times
> > it pops up a message that i should click it to be led to a commercial site
> > that will get rid of the remaining spyware (at leat it claims so) how can i
> > remove this nasty message from popping up on occassions?
> > defender has identified this icon and i chose to not allow it to run in
> > actions, but it does no good. help please
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robinb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Nov 2007
try going to the superantispyware forums, you will have to sign up but they
have great people there that might just help you out.
also try installing avg antispyware (free version)
and run that and see if it removes it, if not again go to superantispyware
forums and ask there
robin
"jerry_ys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried the superantispyware free edition, it found a lot of stuff which
>was
> quarantined but the nasty system alert msg continues to pop up and request
> for me to click on it and direct me to the commercial site for advanced
> products to remove these problem.
>
> im not much into systems, but i cant figure out how its so difficult to
> remove a program causing this and residing on the task bar. thanks for
> the
> help.
>
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
>> Hello Jerry,
>>
>> Report a possible spyware problem to Microsoft
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...rtspyware.mspx
>>
>> Can you follow the spyware submission instructions in the help to make
>> sure
>> WD have your samples if you still have them?
>> -
>>
>> Additional info: Doesn't hurt to try Mr Cat's recommendation first.
>>
>> Smell like Smithfraud.
>>
>> Scan Your Computer With the F-Secure Online Virus Scanner
>> http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/olsbeta.shtml
>>
>> Also have a look to this URLs provided by Dave M.
>>
>> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
>> - - ---
>>
>> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...tion:_Overview
>> -- - - -
>>
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
>> - -- --
>>
>> Let us know how it works ut.
>> - -- ---
>>
>>
>> LEARNING
>> The nation that has the schools has the future.-Bismarck
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "jerry_ys" wrote:
>>
>> > recently i think i was exposed to some spyware and virus. i downloaded
>> > the
>> > latest microsoft removal tool and their defender software. i ran both
>> > and it
>> > seems that it took care of the poblem. the only annoying thing thats
>> > left is
>> > that there is an icon on my task bar that resembles a shield and it
>> > blinks,
>> > first red color with an X inside then blue with with question mark. at
>> > times
>> > it pops up a message that i should click it to be led to a commercial
>> > site
>> > that will get rid of the remaining spyware (at leat it claims so) how
>> > can i
>> > remove this nasty message from popping up on occassions?
>> > defender has identified this icon and i chose to not allow it to run in
>> > actions, but it does no good. help please
>> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Nov 2007

"jerry_ys" wrote
>I tried the superantispyware free edition, it found a lot of stuff which
>was
> quarantined but the nasty system alert msg continues to pop up


Have you tried scanning with Superantispyware in Safe mode? Worth a shot.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nasty Virus/Spyware Got into My System anonymous Windows XP Help 5 9th Mar 2008 01:54 PM
POP pOp PoP POP pOp PoP 0021275831620 siljaline Windows XP Internet Explorer 0 20th Dec 2006 05:11 AM
Nasty Spyware =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIEIu?= Windows XP Security 9 22nd Feb 2005 03:40 AM
Nasty spyware / malware problem in IE 6 Jason Windows XP Internet Explorer 1 29th Jun 2004 05:23 PM
Nasty Adware/Spyware Program! Kirk Larsen Windows XP General 4 30th May 2004 10:34 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:27 AM.