Named Range for X Axis Labels?

mikelee101

      26th May 2004
Hello,
I'm trying to generate a line chart using data from two
named ranges; "Date" and "Revenue"

In the Source Data dialog box, I can enter the following
in the Data Range field:

=Date,Revenue

and it accepts it. Then I go to the Series tab and
remove Date from the series window (so it won't be
graphed). Then I attempt to enter the following in the
Category (X) axis labels field:

=Date

I get an error that says "The formula you entered
contains an error." When I try it without the equal
sign, I get the word "Date" as the first X Axis label,
and then blank tick marks. I also tried renaming the
range "Date.column" in case it was confusing the range
name with the Date() worksheet function, but that didn't
help either.

Does anyone know if there is a way to specify a named
range in the X-Axis labels field?

Thanks very much.

Mike

DDM

      27th May 2004
Mike, try this syntax:

=Filename.xls!RangeName

--
DDM
"DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks"
Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com

"mikelee101" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:12e3201c44365$4108f340$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I'm trying to generate a line chart using data from two
> named ranges; "Date" and "Revenue"
>
> In the Source Data dialog box, I can enter the following
> in the Data Range field:
>
> =Date,Revenue
>
> and it accepts it. Then I go to the Series tab and
> remove Date from the series window (so it won't be
> graphed). Then I attempt to enter the following in the
> Category (X) axis labels field:
>
> =Date
>
> I get an error that says "The formula you entered
> contains an error." When I try it without the equal
> sign, I get the word "Date" as the first X Axis label,
> and then blank tick marks. I also tried renaming the
> range "Date.column" in case it was confusing the range
> name with the Date() worksheet function, but that didn't
> help either.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to specify a named
> range in the X-Axis labels field?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Mike

Mike Lee