Mystery _Backup.mdb files

=?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEM=?=

      31st Jan 2007
Hi

I'm running Access 2000 on a mixture of Windows 2000 and XP clients attached
to a 2000 server. I have a number of Access databases saved in a Company
share on the server, along with a variety of other files. The entire contents
of the share is backed up nightly to tape, using Symantec Backup Exec 10d.

In recent months I've noticed that mystery "backup" files seem to appearing
in the share, which I haven't consciously done anything to set up. So for
example if I have a file MyDatabase.mdb, then a new file
MyDatabase_Backup.mdb might appear in the same folder on the share. These
only seem to appear intermittently, and if I delete one it might not reappear
for some time.

Does anyone have any idea where these might be coming from? Is there some
kind of autobackup function in Access which I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Ian

=?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgV2hpdHRsZQ==?=

      31st Jan 2007
Go to Tools, Options, General Tab. Is Compact on Close enabled? If so that
might be causing them if someone pulled the plug on their computer before it
was completely don; however, they usually have a different name. I recommend
turning it off.

Someone also could be going up to Tools, Database Utilities, Back Up
Database. However this usually puts a date stamp as part of the file name.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Ian C" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm running Access 2000 on a mixture of Windows 2000 and XP clients attached
> to a 2000 server. I have a number of Access databases saved in a Company
> share on the server, along with a variety of other files. The entire contents
> of the share is backed up nightly to tape, using Symantec Backup Exec 10d.
>
> In recent months I've noticed that mystery "backup" files seem to appearing
> in the share, which I haven't consciously done anything to set up. So for
> example if I have a file MyDatabase.mdb, then a new file
> MyDatabase_Backup.mdb might appear in the same folder on the share. These
> only seem to appear intermittently, and if I delete one it might not reappear
> for some time.
>
> Does anyone have any idea where these might be coming from? Is there some
> kind of autobackup function in Access which I'm not aware of?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.
> Ian

=?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEM=?=

      31st Jan 2007
Hi Jerry

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had a look at the Compact On Close option
and it isn't enabled on the databases. The Back Up Database option doesn't
seem to be present at all - maybe that only applies to later versions of
Access?

Any other ideas?
Ian

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> Go to Tools, Options, General Tab. Is Compact on Close enabled? If so that
> might be causing them if someone pulled the plug on their computer before it
> was completely don; however, they usually have a different name. I recommend
> turning it off.
>
> Someone also could be going up to Tools, Database Utilities, Back Up
> Database. However this usually puts a date stamp as part of the file name.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Ian C" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm running Access 2000 on a mixture of Windows 2000 and XP clients attached
> > to a 2000 server. I have a number of Access databases saved in a Company
> > share on the server, along with a variety of other files. The entire contents
> > of the share is backed up nightly to tape, using Symantec Backup Exec 10d.
> >
> > In recent months I've noticed that mystery "backup" files seem to appearing
> > in the share, which I haven't consciously done anything to set up. So for
> > example if I have a file MyDatabase.mdb, then a new file
> > MyDatabase_Backup.mdb might appear in the same folder on the share. These
> > only seem to appear intermittently, and if I delete one it might not reappear
> > for some time.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea where these might be coming from? Is there some
> > kind of autobackup function in Access which I'm not aware of?
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can give.
> > Ian

Dirk Goldgar

      31st Jan 2007
"Ian C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Hi
>
> I'm running Access 2000 on a mixture of Windows 2000 and XP clients
> attached to a 2000 server. I have a number of Access databases saved
> in a Company share on the server, along with a variety of other
> files. The entire contents of the share is backed up nightly to tape,
> using Symantec Backup Exec 10d.
>
> In recent months I've noticed that mystery "backup" files seem to
> appearing in the share, which I haven't consciously done anything to
> set up. So for example if I have a file MyDatabase.mdb, then a new
> file MyDatabase_Backup.mdb might appear in the same folder on the
> share. These only seem to appear intermittently, and if I delete one
> it might not reappear for some time.
>
> Does anyone have any idea where these might be coming from? Is there
> some kind of autobackup function in Access which I'm not aware of?

IIRC, you get those when Access "encounters an error and needs to
close". Then by default (unless you change the option settings on the
dialog), it attempts to repair the open database. That process includes
making a backup copy that is named with the "_Backup" suffix.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

=?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEM=?=

      31st Jan 2007
Thanks Dirk.

That makes sense I guess. I'm surprised because I haven't had any problems
reported by users, or encountered any corruption myself, so it must be minor
problems that are causing the files to be created. I'll keep an eye on it.

"Dirk Goldgar" wrote:

> "Ian C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm running Access 2000 on a mixture of Windows 2000 and XP clients
> > attached to a 2000 server. I have a number of Access databases saved
> > in a Company share on the server, along with a variety of other
> > files. The entire contents of the share is backed up nightly to tape,
> > using Symantec Backup Exec 10d.
> >
> > In recent months I've noticed that mystery "backup" files seem to
> > appearing in the share, which I haven't consciously done anything to
> > set up. So for example if I have a file MyDatabase.mdb, then a new
> > file MyDatabase_Backup.mdb might appear in the same folder on the
> > share. These only seem to appear intermittently, and if I delete one
> > it might not reappear for some time.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea where these might be coming from? Is there
> > some kind of autobackup function in Access which I'm not aware of?

> IIRC, you get those when Access "encounters an error and needs to
> close". Then by default (unless you change the option settings on the
> dialog), it attempts to repair the open database. That process includes
> making a backup copy that is named with the "_Backup" suffix.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> www.datagnostics.com
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

aaron.kempf@gmail.com

      31st Jan 2007
Access MDB isn't reliable enough for real world use.

i'll bet that someone's Access crashed and now they're entering data
in the wrong backend or something ridiculous

ADP doesn't give you this much hassle

-Aaron

John Vinson

      31st Jan 2007
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:59:01 -0800, Ian C
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm surprised because I haven't had any problems
>reported by users

<shudder>

"Oh, it always does that. I just click OK. Was I supposed to tell
you?" - Joe User, far more times that I want to think about it

John W. Vinson[MVP]