Mysterious folders

Pete

      10th Mar 2009
A folder with a name like '1d9f819a11e4cc9db86df146360f' has appeared on my
system drive. It contains two folders: amd64 and i386, each of which
contains 7 files:

msxpsdrv.inf
msxpsinc.ppd
msxpsinc.gpd
filterpipelineprintproc.dll
mxdwdrv.dll
xpssvcs.dll
msxpsdrv.cat

I don't know whether they came with WindowsXP SP3 or with NET.Framework 1.1
Hotfix or SP 3.5.

What are they? Can I delete them? Any ideas what they might be?

Thanks.

Peter

Pavel Minaev

      10th Mar 2009
On Mar 9, 5:57*pm, Pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A folder with a name like '1d9f819a11e4cc9db86df146360f' has appeared on my
> system drive.

Such names are usually Windows Installer temporary folders. They
should be deleted when the installation is successful, but if you
forcefully abort it (e.g. hard reset in the middle), they stay.

> It contains two folders: amd64 and i386, each of which
> contains 7 files:
>
> msxpsdrv.inf
> msxpsinc.ppd
> msxpsinc.gpd
> filterpipelineprintproc.dll
> mxdwdrv.dll
> xpssvcs.dll
> msxpsdrv.cat

Looks like some driver. Judging by mentions of "XPS" and "printer", I
suspect this is the "XPS Document Writer".

> I don't know whether they came with WindowsXP SP3 or with NET.Framework 1..1
> Hotfix or SP 3.5.

If I'm right in my suspicion, then they may have come with .NET 3.0+.

> What are they? Can I delete them? Any ideas what they might be?

You can definitely delete this folder in any case, since it was
supposed to be deleted anyway. Having it around won't do anything
useful.

Pete

      11th Mar 2009
Pavel Minaev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mar 9, 5:57*pm, Pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A folder with a name like '1d9f819a11e4cc9db86df146360f' has appeared
>> on

> my
>> system drive.

> Such names are usually Windows Installer temporary folders. They
> should be deleted when the installation is successful, but if you
> forcefully abort it (e.g. hard reset in the middle), they stay.

I don't remember aborting but I did do a System Restore at about that
time, to try and correct a problem that appeared around then. (This
problem was that I suddenly found my computer was asking me for a name
and password whenever I rebooted, and also when resuming after a suspend.
I found out how to put these right.)

>> It contains two folders: amd64 and i386, each of which
>> contains 7 files:
>>
>> msxpsdrv.inf
>> msxpsinc.ppd
>> msxpsinc.gpd
>> filterpipelineprintproc.dll
>> mxdwdrv.dll
>> xpssvcs.dll
>> msxpsdrv.cat

> Looks like some driver. Judging by mentions of "XPS" and "printer", I
> suspect this is the "XPS Document Writer".

OK. I don't know what that is, but I guess Microsoft needed these files
when it installed the XPS thing, but that now it's installed they're not
needed. Is that right?

>> I don't know whether they came with WindowsXP SP3 or with
>> NET.Framework 1

> .1
>> Hotfix or SP 3.5.

> If I'm right in my suspicion, then they may have come with .NET 3.0+.

Ah. Possibly. I'm not sure how quite how long ago the folder arrived but
it may well have coincided with .NET 3.0+.

>> What are they? Can I delete them? Any ideas what they might be?

> You can definitely delete this folder in any case, since it was
> supposed to be deleted anyway. Having it around won't do anything
> useful.

Great. Thank you, Pavel. That's extremely helpful and I'm grateful to you
for replying so speedily.

Peter

JS

      11th Mar 2009
It's folder that was not deleted after installing .Net 3.5 SP1
See: NET Framework 3.5 SP1 - Temporary Folder is not deleted
http://www.pagestart.com/netframework35sp1error.html

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Pavel Minaev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Mar 9, 5:57 pm, Pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> A folder with a name like '1d9f819a11e4cc9db86df146360f' has appeared
>>> on

>> my
>>> system drive.

>> Such names are usually Windows Installer temporary folders. They
>> should be deleted when the installation is successful, but if you
>> forcefully abort it (e.g. hard reset in the middle), they stay.
>>

> I don't remember aborting but I did do a System Restore at about that
> time, to try and correct a problem that appeared around then. (This
> problem was that I suddenly found my computer was asking me for a name
> and password whenever I rebooted, and also when resuming after a suspend.
> I found out how to put these right.)
>
>>> It contains two folders: amd64 and i386, each of which
>>> contains 7 files:
>>>
>>> msxpsdrv.inf
>>> msxpsinc.ppd
>>> msxpsinc.gpd
>>> filterpipelineprintproc.dll
>>> mxdwdrv.dll
>>> xpssvcs.dll
>>> msxpsdrv.cat

>> Looks like some driver. Judging by mentions of "XPS" and "printer", I
>> suspect this is the "XPS Document Writer".
>>

> OK. I don't know what that is, but I guess Microsoft needed these files
> when it installed the XPS thing, but that now it's installed they're not
> needed. Is that right?
>
>>> I don't know whether they came with WindowsXP SP3 or with
>>> NET.Framework 1

>> .1
>>> Hotfix or SP 3.5.

>> If I'm right in my suspicion, then they may have come with .NET 3.0+.
>>

> Ah. Possibly. I'm not sure how quite how long ago the folder arrived but
> it may well have coincided with .NET 3.0+.
>
>>> What are they? Can I delete them? Any ideas what they might be?

>> You can definitely delete this folder in any case, since it was
>> supposed to be deleted anyway. Having it around won't do anything
>> useful.
>>

> Great. Thank you, Pavel. That's extremely helpful and I'm grateful to you
> for replying so speedily.
>
> Peter

Pete

      13th Mar 2009
"JS" <@> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> It's folder that was not deleted after installing .Net 3.5 SP1
> See: NET Framework 3.5 SP1 - Temporary Folder is not deleted
> http://www.pagestart.com/netframework35sp1error.html

A useful page. Thank you for your help, JS.

Peter

JS

      13th Mar 2009
You're welcome.

--

> "JS" <@> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> It's folder that was not deleted after installing .Net 3.5 SP1
>> See: NET Framework 3.5 SP1 - Temporary Folder is not deleted
>> http://www.pagestart.com/netframework35sp1error.html
>>

> A useful page. Thank you for your help, JS.
>
> Peter

New Member

      23rd Aug 2009
I have the same folders. However, they are placed on my external hard drive. When I try to delete them, or any file in the folders, I get an "access denied" message. I also have a folder named System Volume Information that appeared on my external drive which I cannot delete. Any help would be appreciated.

New Member

      26th Aug 2009
Any help???

New Member

      4th Sep 2009
I had the same file on my external hard drive. It wouldn't delete, so I just used "Unlocker," and found that it had a handle connected to Word. I unlocked it and it deleted fine. No sweat. If you don't have Unlocker, you need it.

New Member

      18th Feb 2010
Quote:
I also have a folder named System Volume Information that appeared on my external drive which I cannot delete.

I understand this is an old thread- but in case anyone else comes upon it:

System Volume is a protected operating system folder. It contains the System Restore points. You cannot delete this folder- you shouldn't even try. You can remove old restore points however. If you have a malware infection, the malware can get into the restore points. If your system has been cleaned of malware and malware has gotten in to the restore points, you can reinfect the system if the date chosen has the malware.

This is why the old restore points are dropped at the end of cleaning and a new, clean restore point is set.

If you are not familiar with the System Restore feature and it's value, suggest you look it up HERE.

This may very well save your bacon one day!

Last edited by anges35; 18th Feb 2010 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: add quote