MyComputer and Drive C: are written in bright blue letters - why

=?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

      31st Aug 2007
...why is that?

--
....scribble...scribble...scribble...

JS

      31st Aug 2007
Windows compresses files and folders (NTFS partition) that are not accessed
very often, explorer shows these files/folders in blue.

Compression can be turned on or off on a folder by folder basis.
Just select a folder, right click and select Properties, General Tab,
Advanced Button.
In the Advanced Attributes window you will find the Compress options near
the bottom.
Check or Un-check the Compress contents option.

Also when in Explorer select: Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced settings
to see options related to colors.

How To Use File Compression in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307987

JS

"umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ..why is that?
>

> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

=?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

      31st Aug 2007
Hi JS, thankyou for your reply. I have Farstones Virual Drive Pro 11.5
installed and I am making virtual cds and installing games from those cds and
it is in Virtual
Drive Pro that I see Computer and DriveC: are written in bright blue
letters. This is a new reinstallaton of Windows XP Home Edition so I am
surprised that there would be compressed files or folders already.
--

"JS" wrote:

> Windows compresses files and folders (NTFS partition) that are not accessed
> very often, explorer shows these files/folders in blue.
>
> Compression can be turned on or off on a folder by folder basis.
> Just select a folder, right click and select Properties, General Tab,
> Advanced Button.
> In the Advanced Attributes window you will find the Compress options near
> the bottom.
> Check or Un-check the Compress contents option.
>
> Also when in Explorer select: Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced settings
> to see options related to colors.
>
> How To Use File Compression in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307987
>
> JS
>
> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ..why is that?
> >

> > --
> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

JS

      31st Aug 2007
I've seen restore CD's from vendors that (even with a new drive) when
completed have some folders compressed. Are all your folders in blue or just
some and if so which ones?

JS

"umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi JS, thankyou for your reply. I have Farstones Virual Drive Pro 11.5
> installed and I am making virtual cds and installing games from those cds
> and
> it is in Virtual
> Drive Pro that I see Computer and DriveC: are written in bright blue
> letters. This is a new reinstallaton of Windows XP Home Edition so I am
> surprised that there would be compressed files or folders already.
> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
>

> "JS" wrote:
>
>> Windows compresses files and folders (NTFS partition) that are not
>> accessed
>> very often, explorer shows these files/folders in blue.
>>
>> Compression can be turned on or off on a folder by folder basis.
>> Just select a folder, right click and select Properties, General Tab,
>> Advanced Button.
>> In the Advanced Attributes window you will find the Compress options near
>> the bottom.
>> Check or Un-check the Compress contents option.
>>
>> Also when in Explorer select: Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced
>> settings
>> to see options related to colors.
>>
>> How To Use File Compression in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307987
>>
>> JS
>>
>> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > ..why is that?
>> >

>> > --
>> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

=?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

      1st Sep 2007
Hi and thankyou for following up...
...there are only a few folders or are they files highlighted in bright
blue.
You may like to know I had the Page File on a 10Gb partition and the XP
Home Edition operating system on a 10GB partition and 2 other larger
partitions, one for games and the other for backup files.
Tonight the computer would not boot so I reloaded the bios defaults, I
could only try this, and when Windows restarted it had shifted the page file
back to the C: drive. In the Defragmenter Utility where it would have shown
the page file as the Yellow color it is now blue but there are no files or
folders in that paartition...

I thought you may be interested in this.
Also if you like, have a look for my post tonight in the Windows XP
Hardware Newsgroup, you may find that rather interesting also and there may
be a relationship between these 2 problems I have had....