My Word document reverted to Read-Only. How can I change it?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBTLiBNYXhleQ==?=

      13th Apr 2007
Somehow my Word document reverted to a Read-Only file. I went to save it, and
that is when I discovered it. How can I change this current document back to
an editable, usable file?

Thanks,
Paul

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      13th Apr 2007
Had the document ever been copied to a CD and then back to the HD?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Paul S. Maxey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somehow my Word document reverted to a Read-Only file. I went to save it,

and
> that is when I discovered it. How can I change this current document back

> an editable, usable file?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9uaU0=?=

      13th Apr 2007
Close the file and open the folder that the file is stored in. Right click
on the file icon and choose properties. Remove the check, if present, from
the read only check box. Several things in Word can cause a file to open as
Read Only.
Copying to and from a read-only storage device such as a cd-r or dvd-r.
Opening a second instance of a document will sometimes open as read only to
avoid conflicting changes.
Also, you might want to check and see if it is an actual current Word
document or an older file that should probably be converted. If you have
recently upgraded word, it could be that file is a no longer supported file
type that Word will allow you to open, but no longer edit without saving to a
new file type.
If none of the above helps... let us know... good luck!

"Paul S. Maxey" wrote:

> Somehow my Word document reverted to a Read-Only file. I went to save it, and
> that is when I discovered it. How can I change this current document back to
> an editable, usable file?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBTLiBNYXhleQ==?=

      13th Apr 2007
No, I was working with it and another word document. I closed one out, and
later when I went to save the first one, it had reverted to a "Read Only"
file. I had to rename it, in order for it to be saved.

Somehow, MSWORD was seeing a conflict with it and another document, and
wanted to protect one of them, so made it a read only file - I think. This
happened again today - under the same or similar circumstances.

Thanks, Paul

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> Had the document ever been copied to a CD and then back to the HD?
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
> all may benefit.
>
> "Paul S. Maxey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Somehow my Word document reverted to a Read-Only file. I went to save it,

> and
> > that is when I discovered it. How can I change this current document back

> > an editable, usable file?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paul

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBTLiBNYXhleQ==?=

      13th Apr 2007
Thanks for you help. I had to rename the file to save it. Then this morning,
I was wroking on it, and the same thing happened. I had my word document open
and editing it, then opened another word document from the same folder to
reference something. When I went back to the original file, made changes and
then tried to save it, it had changed to a "Read Only" file. I think you are
correct, in that MSWORD saw a conflict with the two open documents, and
wanted to protect the one opened first. I have just never seen this before,
and am not sure this is supposed to be happening.

I had checked the properties for the Read Only check box prior - that was
not the case until the document reverted, and then it would not let me change
it.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul