"My Videos" Folder Icon

Allen

      20th Feb 2006
One of my computers has a special icon for "My Videos" folder, but the other computer has just the ordinary folder icon. How can I change the icon to be the special "My Videos" folder icon?

TIA

neil

      20th Feb 2006
If you download and install TweakUI you can rebuild icons, that might fix it
for you.
Neil

"Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
One of my computers has a special icon for "My Videos" folder, but the other
computer has just the ordinary folder icon. How can I change the icon to be
the special "My Videos" folder icon?

TIA

Wesley Vogel

      20th Feb 2006
This problem can occur if the hidden desktop.ini file in the special
folder is corrupt or missing. Here are the steps to fix this problem:
Illustrated, detailed instructions here:
http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html

Scroll down a little and click on Special Folders.

My Videos desktop.ini should look like this.

[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12690
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=-238
[DeleteOnCopy]
Owner=Douglas Thrift
Personalized=14
PersonalizedName=My Videos

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> One of my computers has a special icon for "My Videos" folder, but the
> other computer has just the ordinary folder icon. How can I change the
> icon to be the special "My Videos" folder icon?
>
> TIA

Allen

      21st Feb 2006
Nope, didn't help. The desktop.ini file was missing so I added it, but "My
Videos" still has the standard folder icon.

Any more ideas?

"Wesley Vogel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This problem can occur if the hidden desktop.ini file in the special
> folder is corrupt or missing. Here are the steps to fix this problem:
> Illustrated, detailed instructions here:
> http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html
>
> Scroll down a little and click on Special Folders.
>
> My Videos desktop.ini should look like this.
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12690
> IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
> IconIndex=-238
> [DeleteOnCopy]
> Owner=Douglas Thrift
> Personalized=14
> PersonalizedName=My Videos
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
>> One of my computers has a special icon for "My Videos" folder, but the
>> other computer has just the ordinary folder icon. How can I change the
>> icon to be the special "My Videos" folder icon?
>>
>> TIA

Wesley Vogel

      21st Feb 2006
Hi Allen,

OK. I didn't have a My Videos folder, so I created one. I added the
desktop.ini file, followed all advice at Douglas Thrift's site. None of
that worked.

I have TweakUI, which Neil mentioned in a post in this thread. Using
TweakUI was the only way I could restore the My Videos icon.

Here's what I did.

1. Open TweakUI.
2. Click on Repair, bottom item on the left.
3. On the right hand side, click on the V to expand the menu.
4. Click on Repair My Videos icon.
5. Click the Repair Now button.

Repair My Videos icon
[[Restores the custom icon to the My Videos folder.]]

You can download TweakUI here...

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

Tweak UI
This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not
exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including
mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.

Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or above or Windows
Server 2003.

Scroll down the right hand side and look for...
Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe

TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe is what you get.

If you have Windows XP without any Service Packs, download Version 2.00.
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

-----

TweakUI has a lot of other uses.

Some good info here...