My network login account keeps locking me out

someone new

      8th Jan 2004
I changed my network password last week. Since then, my
network account keeps locking me out throughout the day.
I have checked to be sure that I am not logged in on
another PC anywhere on the network, and I have
disconnected mapped drives. I have tried changing my
password again, but I don't know what else to check for.
I am on a Windows 98 SE machine, logging into a Win2K
server. I can remote control the server from my desk, go
into Active Directory and unlock my account, but I'm
having to do this several times a day. Other than
deleting and recreating my account, does anyone have any
ideas?

Richard Moreno

      8th Jan 2004
Hi-

I would double check any services (local or domain) that you may have
inadvertently tied your domain account to with the old password or even an
application of some sort uses your old account. Also, did you search the
security logs on your DC for events 529 and 644? Those are for lockouts. It
would identify from what machine your account is getting locked at.

--
Thanks,
Richard Moreno

rights.

"someone new" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0a3601c3d623$3e130860$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I changed my network password last week. Since then, my
> network account keeps locking me out throughout the day.
> I have checked to be sure that I am not logged in on
> another PC anywhere on the network, and I have
> disconnected mapped drives. I have tried changing my
> password again, but I don't know what else to check for.
> I am on a Windows 98 SE machine, logging into a Win2K
> server. I can remote control the server from my desk, go
> into Active Directory and unlock my account, but I'm
> having to do this several times a day. Other than
> deleting and recreating my account, does anyone have any
> ideas?

      8th Jan 2004
I had this same thing happen. My issues was I was logged
in via terminal services to a few machines which I never
logged out of and it seemed to try and re-authenticate me
every so often and would lock me out. you might check
that.

confers no

wrote in message
>news:0a3601c3d623$3e130860$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I changed my network password last week. Since then,

my
>> network account keeps locking me out throughout the

day.
>> I have checked to be sure that I am not logged in on
>> another PC anywhere on the network, and I have
>> disconnected mapped drives. I have tried changing my
>> password again, but I don't know what else to check

for.
>> I am on a Windows 98 SE machine, logging into a Win2K
>> server. I can remote control the server from my desk,

go
>> into Active Directory and unlock my account, but I'm
>> having to do this several times a day. Other than
>> deleting and recreating my account, does anyone have

any
>> ideas?

>.

Robert Greene [MSFT]

      9th Jan 2004
Hi Richard,

In order for you to troubleshoot you Account Lockouts.

First Make sure that the systems involved in the account lockouts if they
are Windows 2000 are on At least SP3.
If you cannot update the systems to SP 3 make sure they have at least:

327784 Windows 2000 Server May Hang After a Local Backup Completes
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=327784

Also you will want to review the following:

315585 Account Lockout Troubleshooter
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315585

818078 Your User Account May Be Prematurely Locked Out
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=818078

817701 Service Packs and Hotfixes That Are Available to Resolve Account
Lockout
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817701

Also here is a weblink to Microsoft's download page. On this download page
it explains about some of the different tools to help troubleshoot account
lockouts.

Lastly you will need to increase you security logs to about 50 Megs to
properly troubleshoot this problem to find out what is causing your account
lockouts.

news:OI$(E-Mail Removed)...