my homepage keeps changing to one i dont want

=?Utf-8?B?dGhlYnJ1Y2V5czE4?=

      29th Jan 2005
my hompage keeps changing to an american search engine and i cant get rid of
it. I can uninstall it from add/remove programs as it says the shortcut is
missing. when I try and put my own homepage back onto internet options. It
just changes it back again. HELP...What can I do to get rid of it. I have
also barred all the related website addresses that have shown up on this site
on my privacy thing, but it still comes up all the time. I have even emailed
the website and asked them to take it off my computer but all to no avail.
Please can someone help me get rid of this as pornographic popups keep on
coming onto my computer and I cant let my kids use the pc till I have got rid
of it...PLEASE, SOMEONE MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO

WTC

      29th Jan 2005
"thebruceys18" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> my hompage keeps changing to an american search engine and i cant get rid
> of
> it. I can uninstall it from add/remove programs as it says the shortcut is
> missing. when I try and put my own homepage back onto internet options. It
> just changes it back again. HELP...What can I do to get rid of it. I have
> also barred all the related website addresses that have shown up on this
> site
> on my privacy thing, but it still comes up all the time. I have even
> emailed
> the website and asked them to take it off my computer but all to no avail.
> Please can someone help me get rid of this as pornographic popups keep on
> coming onto my computer and I cant let my kids use the pc till I have got
> rid
> of it...PLEASE, SOMEONE MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO

Run these 3 programs, all free
Lavasoft Adaware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

Spybot - Search and Destroy

HijackThis

William

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      29th Jan 2005
Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...t/default.aspx

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"thebruceys18" wrote:

| my hompage keeps changing to an american search engine and i cant get rid of
| it. I can uninstall it from add/remove programs as it says the shortcut is
| missing. when I try and put my own homepage back onto internet options. It
| just changes it back again. HELP...What can I do to get rid of it. I have
| also barred all the related website addresses that have shown up on this site
| on my privacy thing, but it still comes up all the time. I have even emailed
| the website and asked them to take it off my computer but all to no avail.
| Please can someone help me get rid of this as pornographic popups keep on
| coming onto my computer and I cant let my kids use the pc till I have got rid
| of it...PLEASE, SOMEONE MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO

Adrian

      29th Jan 2005
Or as surprising as it may sound!! Microsoft's beta spyware product is
currently free and works great!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "thebruceys18" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> my hompage keeps changing to an american search engine and i cant get rid
>> of
>> it. I can uninstall it from add/remove programs as it says the shortcut
>> is
>> missing. when I try and put my own homepage back onto internet options.
>> It
>> just changes it back again. HELP...What can I do to get rid of it. I have
>> also barred all the related website addresses that have shown up on this
>> site
>> on my privacy thing, but it still comes up all the time. I have even
>> emailed
>> the website and asked them to take it off my computer but all to no
>> avail.
>> Please can someone help me get rid of this as pornographic popups keep
>> on
>> coming onto my computer and I cant let my kids use the pc till I have got
>> rid
>> of it...PLEASE, SOMEONE MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO

> Run these 3 programs, all free
> Lavasoft Adaware SE
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
>
> Spybot - Search and Destroy
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>

> HijackThis
>
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
>

> --
> William

Wesley Vogel

      29th Jan 2005
Steer clear of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (BETA) until it's ready for
public release. It has too many problems yet!!!!

Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. If you do not have
SP2, get it

First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

 Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
perform a particular task.]]

 Enable Install On Demand (Other)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.]]

Apply | OK

 Enable Install On Demand (Other)
Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
=====

Second. If you need a scan right now.

Follow the instructions!
THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

=====

Third.
It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

1a) CWShredder ver. 2.0 direct download:
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

2) SpywareBlaster
[[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
ever being installed.
The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
http://www.safer-networking.org/inde...&page=download

4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

4a) HijackThis (direct download)
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner...ource=appvisit

6) ToolbarCop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

7) Ad-aware SE Personal

=====

HijackThis log tutorial
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

HijackThis Log Tutorial
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...ial=42#warning

How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877
=====

MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
=====

Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner...problems.phtml

Additional information & instructions.
A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Spyware and Deceptive Software
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/...e.mspx?gssnb=1

What you should know about spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

Cleaning Up XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
thebruceys18 <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> my hompage keeps changing to an american search engine and i cant get
> rid of it. I can uninstall it from add/remove programs as it says the
> shortcut is missing. when I try and put my own homepage back onto
> internet options. It just changes it back again. HELP...What can I do
> to get rid of it. I have also barred all the related website
> addresses that have shown up on this site on my privacy thing, but it
> still comes up all the time. I have even emailed the website and
> asked them to take it off my computer but all to no avail. Please can
> someone help me get rid of this as pornographic popups keep on
> coming onto my computer and I cant let my kids use the pc till I have
> got rid of it...PLEASE, SOMEONE MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO

WTC

      30th Jan 2005
"Adrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ctge61$aq8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Or as surprising as it may sound!! Microsoft's beta spyware product is
> currently free and works great!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
>

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "thebruceys18" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> my hompage keeps changing to an american search engine and i cant get
>>> rid of
>>> it. I can uninstall it from add/remove programs as it says the shortcut
>>> is
>>> missing. when I try and put my own homepage back onto internet options.
>>> It
>>> just changes it back again. HELP...What can I do to get rid of it. I
>>> have
>>> also barred all the related website addresses that have shown up on this
>>> site
>>> on my privacy thing, but it still comes up all the time. I have even
>>> emailed
>>> the website and asked them to take it off my computer but all to no
>>> avail.
>>> Please can someone help me get rid of this as pornographic popups keep
>>> on
>>> coming onto my computer and I cant let my kids use the pc till I have
>>> got rid
>>> of it...PLEASE, SOMEONE MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO

>> Run these 3 programs, all free
>> Lavasoft Adaware SE
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
>>
>> Spybot - Search and Destroy
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>>

>> HijackThis
>>
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
>>

>> --
>> William

I wouldn't recommend any Beta products to anyone, these products are not
supported. And the MS Ant-Spyware Beta has some bugs in it.

--
William