Are my files arranged as they should be?

browniebodrum

      16th Nov 2009
When I got my Vista Business laptop in spring I had a lot of problems
accessing folders which I'd transferred over from my previous laptop which
was running XP, and I kept getting messages to say I did not have permission
to open the folder (or something like that) even though I am the only user of
the Vista machine (as I was on the XP machine) and I have administrator
rights in Vista.

I'd like to know if my folder structure is like that of other Vista users or
if I've got some irregularities there which are still causing indexing,
search and access issues.

For example, if I click on 'Start' (the Windows logo button or key), then
click the 'Documents' link under [My name ] (at the top of the right-hand
column, in black), Windows Explorer opens and in the address line at the top
it says > [My Name] > Documents. In the left-hand pane, 'Documents' is
highlighted and in the right-hand pane, sure enough, I can see all the
sub-folders of 'Documents' (i.e. what was 'My Documents' in XP). BUT if I
scroll up to the top of the left-hand pane and click [My Name], in the
right-hand pane I then see a number of folders, but Documents is not one of
them. I know by trial and error that to get to 'Documents' from here, I have
to click on a folder in the right-hand pane called 'Links', then click on a
SHORTCUT to Documents in the Links folder, to get me to the 'Documents'
folder. Is this the same for everyone?

Another possibly related example is that when I use Windows Picture Gallery,
I simply can't add any pictures to the Gallery from 'my' Pictures, I've had
to put them all in the Public Pictures folder to be able to view them using
Gallery. (Using Windows Live Picture Gallery makes no difference). I get a
message saying I don't have permission to access 'my' Pictures folder or that
it's a system folder.

I'm obviously not understanding something, so I'd be grateful for help or
pointers to more reading.

Bob

      16th Nov 2009
Try taking ownership of the folders.

Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

"browniebodrum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I got my Vista Business laptop in spring I had a lot of problems
> accessing folders which I'd transferred over from my previous laptop which
> was running XP, and I kept getting messages to say I did not have
> permission
> to open the folder (or something like that) even though I am the only user
> of
> the Vista machine (as I was on the XP machine) and I have administrator
> rights in Vista.
>
> I'd like to know if my folder structure is like that of other Vista users
> or
> if I've got some irregularities there which are still causing indexing,
> search and access issues.
>
> For example, if I click on 'Start' (the Windows logo button or key), then
> click the 'Documents' link under [My name ] (at the top of the right-hand
> column, in black), Windows Explorer opens and in the address line at the
> top
> it says > [My Name] > Documents. In the left-hand pane, 'Documents' is
> highlighted and in the right-hand pane, sure enough, I can see all the
> sub-folders of 'Documents' (i.e. what was 'My Documents' in XP). BUT if I
> scroll up to the top of the left-hand pane and click [My Name], in the
> right-hand pane I then see a number of folders, but Documents is not one
> of
> them. I know by trial and error that to get to 'Documents' from here, I
> have
> to click on a folder in the right-hand pane called 'Links', then click on
> SHORTCUT to Documents in the Links folder, to get me to the 'Documents'
> folder. Is this the same for everyone?
>
> Another possibly related example is that when I use Windows Picture
> Gallery,
> I simply can't add any pictures to the Gallery from 'my' Pictures, I've
> had
> to put them all in the Public Pictures folder to be able to view them
> using
> Gallery. (Using Windows Live Picture Gallery makes no difference). I get
> message saying I don't have permission to access 'my' Pictures folder or
> that
> it's a system folder.
>
> I'm obviously not understanding something, so I'd be grateful for help or
> pointers to more reading.

browniebodrum

      1st Dec 2009

Hi Bob, thanks for the response and apologies for the lack of reply until now
- I didn't receive any reply notifications and hadn't had chance till today
to come and browse the messageboard again.

I followed the excellent instructions and added "Take Ownership" to the
right-click menu in Vista and that's working correctly. However, I can't
navigate to a position where I've got the root folder 'Documents' in the
right-hand pane and select it, in order to take ownership, and the 'take
ownership' option does not appear if I do shift/right click on the
'Documents' folder where it appears in the left-hand 'Folders' pane. I have
taken ownership of the first folder and its contents in 'Documents' but that
has not made any difference to the apparent location of 'Documents' or how I
have to navigate to it (as described in my original post), via the 'Links'
shortcut.

On a positive note, the second issue I mentioned (whereby Windows Picture
Gallery previously would not allow me to add pictures to the gallery from
'my' Pictures folder) is now resolved, even though I did not specifically
take ownership of 'my' Pictures folder. Perhaps the act of running
Ownership.reg has fixed some previous errors in the Registry, but I cannot be
sure because in my haste to try out the 'Take Ownership' fix, I did not check
to see whether the problem still persisted before I applied the fix. I will
try and be more methodical in future. ;-)

"Bob" wrote:

> Try taking ownership of the folders.
>

> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
>
> "browniebodrum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I got my Vista Business laptop in spring I had a lot of problems
> > accessing folders which I'd transferred over from my previous laptop which
> > was running XP, and I kept getting messages to say I did not have
> > permission
> > to open the folder (or something like that) even though I am the only user
> > of
> > the Vista machine (as I was on the XP machine) and I have administrator
> > rights in Vista.
> >
> > I'd like to know if my folder structure is like that of other Vista users
> > or
> > if I've got some irregularities there which are still causing indexing,
> > search and access issues.
> >
> > For example, if I click on 'Start' (the Windows logo button or key), then
> > click the 'Documents' link under [My name ] (at the top of the right-hand
> > column, in black), Windows Explorer opens and in the address line at the
> > top
> > it says > [My Name] > Documents. In the left-hand pane, 'Documents' is
> > highlighted and in the right-hand pane, sure enough, I can see all the
> > sub-folders of 'Documents' (i.e. what was 'My Documents' in XP). BUT if I
> > scroll up to the top of the left-hand pane and click [My Name], in the
> > right-hand pane I then see a number of folders, but Documents is not one
> > of
> > them. I know by trial and error that to get to 'Documents' from here, I
> > have
> > to click on a folder in the right-hand pane called 'Links', then click on
> > SHORTCUT to Documents in the Links folder, to get me to the 'Documents'
> > folder. Is this the same for everyone?
> >
> > Another possibly related example is that when I use Windows Picture
> > Gallery,
> > I simply can't add any pictures to the Gallery from 'my' Pictures, I've
> > had
> > to put them all in the Public Pictures folder to be able to view them
> > using
> > Gallery. (Using Windows Live Picture Gallery makes no difference). I get
> > message saying I don't have permission to access 'my' Pictures folder or
> > that
> > it's a system folder.
> >
> > I'm obviously not understanding something, so I'd be grateful for help or
> > pointers to more reading.

> .

Bob

      3rd Dec 2009

You should not have to "do shift/right click" in either pane.

Just right click.

> [...]
>> > on
>> > SHORTCUT to Documents in the Links folder, to get me to the 'Documents'
>> > folder. Is this the same for everyone?
>> >
>> > Another possibly related example is that when I use Windows Picture
>> > Gallery,
>> > I simply can't add any pictures to the Gallery from 'my' Pictures, I've
>> > had
>> > to put them all in the Public Pictures folder to be able to view them
>> > using
>> > Gallery. (Using Windows Live Picture Gallery makes no difference). I
>> > get
>> > message saying I don't have permission to access 'my' Pictures folder
>> > or
>> > that
>> > it's a system folder.
>> >
>> > I'm obviously not understanding something, so I'd be grateful for help

browniebodrum

      4th Dec 2009
Thanks for this, Bob. I have done some more testing and can confirm the
'take ownership' option on the menu only appears if I am pressing 'shift' as
I right-click. Right-clicking the folder or file does not bring up the 'Take
Ownership' line on the menu. Is this part of the problem? When I click
'Properties' of an individual file in Documents, and click details, most of
them are showing as belonging to me anyway ([MyComputerName]\[MyName]). Any
further suggestions?

PS apologies for this being off-post but can you advise me where I should
post for help with the newsgroup itself? I'm not getting notifications of
new postings even though I've ticked the box for that and they aren't
appearing in my spam folders, either (hence the again-delayed reply to your
post).

Regards, browniebodrum

"Bob" wrote:

> You should not have to "do shift/right click" in either pane.
>
> Just right click.
>

> "browniebodrum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hi Bob, thanks for the response and apologies for the lack of reply until
> > now
> > - I didn't receive any reply notifications and hadn't had chance till
> > today
> > to come and browse the messageboard again.
> >
> > I followed the excellent instructions and added "Take Ownership" to the
> > right-click menu in Vista and that's working correctly. However, I can't
> > navigate to a position where I've got the root folder 'Documents' in the
> > right-hand pane and select it, in order to take ownership, and the 'take
> > ownership' option does not appear if I do shift/right click on the
> > 'Documents' folder where it appears in the left-hand 'Folders' pane. I
> > have
> > taken ownership of the first folder and its contents in 'Documents' but
> > that
> > has not made any difference to the apparent location of 'Documents' or how
> > have to navigate to it (as described in my original post), via the 'Links'
> > shortcut.
> >
> > On a positive note, the second issue I mentioned (whereby Windows Picture
> > Gallery previously would not allow me to add pictures to the gallery from
> > 'my' Pictures folder) is now resolved, even though I did not specifically
> > take ownership of 'my' Pictures folder. Perhaps the act of running
> > Ownership.reg has fixed some previous errors in the Registry, but I cannot
> > be
> > sure because in my haste to try out the 'Take Ownership' fix, I did not
> > check
> > to see whether the problem still persisted before I applied the fix. I
> > will
> > try and be more methodical in future. ;-)
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> Try taking ownership of the folders.
> >>

> >> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
> >>
> >> "browniebodrum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> .
> >>

> .

browniebodrum

      4th Dec 2009
ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:9.1.008.000
TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
Driver version:9.1.008.000
Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
Anti-virus signature DAT file version:998529760
AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.5.53.4
ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.53.58
ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0
ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 04.020

"Bob" wrote:

> Which firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or security suite is installed?
> There are some that cause problems which don’t always appear immediately.
>

> Use a newsreader instead of the web interface.
> http://forum.soft32.com/win3/access-...pict45930.html
>

> "browniebodrum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for this, Bob. I have done some more testing and can confirm the
> > 'take ownership' option on the menu only appears if I am pressing 'shift'
> > as
> > I right-click. Right-clicking the folder or file does not bring up the
> > 'Take
> > Ownership' line on the menu. Is this part of the problem? When I click
> > 'Properties' of an individual file in Documents, and click details, most
> > of
> > them are showing as belonging to me anyway ([MyComputerName]\[MyName]).
> > Any
> > further suggestions?
> >
> > PS apologies for this being off-post but can you advise me where I should
> > post for help with the newsgroup itself? I'm not getting notifications of
> > new postings even though I've ticked the box for that and they aren't
> > appearing in my spam folders, either (hence the again-delayed reply to
> > your
> > post).
> >
> > Regards, browniebodrum
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >

> >> You should not have to "do shift/right click" in either pane.
> >>
> >> Just right click.
> >>

> >> "browniebodrum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> .
> >>

> .

Bob

      5th Dec 2009
Are there any security programs that were pre-installed on your PC?

"browniebodrum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:9.1.008.000
> TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
> Driver version:9.1.008.000
> Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
> Anti-virus signature DAT file version:998529760
> AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
> ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.5.53.4
> ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.53.58
> ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0
> ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 04.020
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Which firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or security suite is installed?
>> There are some that cause problems which don’t always appear immediately.
>>

>> Use a newsreader instead of the web interface.
>> http://forum.soft32.com/win3/access-...pict45930.html
>>

>> "browniebodrum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks for this, Bob. I have done some more testing and can confirm
>> > the
>> > 'take ownership' option on the menu only appears if I am pressing
>> > 'shift'
>> > as
>> > I right-click. Right-clicking the folder or file does not bring up the
>> > 'Take
>> > Ownership' line on the menu. Is this part of the problem? When I
>> > click
>> > 'Properties' of an individual file in Documents, and click details,
>> > most
>> > of
>> > them are showing as belonging to me anyway ([MyComputerName]\[MyName]).
>> > Any
>> > further suggestions?
>> >
>> > PS apologies for this being off-post but can you advise me where I
>> > should
>> > post for help with the newsgroup itself? I'm not getting notifications
>> > of
>> > new postings even though I've ticked the box for that and they aren't
>> > appearing in my spam folders, either (hence the again-delayed reply to
>> > your
>> > post).
>> >
>> > Regards, browniebodrum

>> .

browniebodrum

      22nd Dec 2009
It did have Norton pre-loaded on it but (after a lot of message about) I got
rid of it using something I downloaded and following advice on various forums
- sorry I can't say exactly what/how, now, I can't remember. I've discovered
something else since I last posted. First, the original problem with not
being able to add 'my' Pictures folder to the Windows Picture Gallery (while
*in* WPG) still persists (I still get the error saying the folder is a hidden
or system folder (even though I've checked and I'm the owner). Also, there
is a folder with the name 'Users' on my Desktop which contains 4 folders
which have various variations of NTUSER.DAT as their name. A number of posts
on the web say this folder is a hive for the Registry, BUT that it should be
in the Documents and Settings folder. Is this part of the problem, do you
think?