My Desktop Icons keep rearranging every time I reboot

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhhbnNlbg==?=

      22nd Mar 2007
Everytime I re-boot my computer, several of my icon rearrange. Mainly the
bottom two icons I have at the bottom left of my desktop, to to the top of
the screen, and the three rows above them are shifted down. Then serveral of
the icons at the top left of the desktop are moved and the icons from the
bottom replace them. Guess this is a new Vista feature.

This started at the same time Multi-Files select was disabled in Windows
Explorer. Looks like they may be related.

I have a RETAIL version of Windows Vista Premium on all new completely Vista
Certified Computer Equipment.

--
Jim Hansen

Keith Miller MVP

      22nd Mar 2007
Usually a symptom of Explorer crashing & restarting...any clues in the Event
Log?

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Jim Hansen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Everytime I re-boot my computer, several of my icon rearrange. Mainly the
> bottom two icons I have at the bottom left of my desktop, to to the top of
> the screen, and the three rows above them are shifted down. Then serveral
> of
> the icons at the top left of the desktop are moved and the icons from the
> bottom replace them. Guess this is a new Vista feature.
>
> This started at the same time Multi-Files select was disabled in Windows
> Explorer. Looks like they may be related.
>
> I have a RETAIL version of Windows Vista Premium on all new completely
> Vista
> Certified Computer Equipment.
>

> --
> Jim Hansen

Daze N. Knights

      22nd Mar 2007
I don't have a solution to the problem itself, but "Icon Restore" is a
great, free app for periodically saving your desktop icon layout and
then restoring it again whenever it gets messed up. I've been using it
since Win98 and it works just as well in Vista. It sure saves a lot of
time otherwise spent rearranging icons. It can be found here:

http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

Daze

-------------------

Jim Hansen wrote:
> Everytime I re-boot my computer, several of my icon rearrange. Mainly the
> bottom two icons I have at the bottom left of my desktop, to to the top of
> the screen, and the three rows above them are shifted down. Then serveral of
> the icons at the top left of the desktop are moved and the icons from the
> bottom replace them. Guess this is a new Vista feature.
>
> This started at the same time Multi-Files select was disabled in Windows
> Explorer. Looks like they may be related.
>
> I have a RETAIL version of Windows Vista Premium on all new completely Vista
> Certified Computer Equipment.

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhhbnNlbg==?=

      22nd Mar 2007
Yes there are a some Explorer 1000 errrors in the Event log:

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
0x4549b091, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id
0x15cc, application start time 0x01c76c34dcc925a5.
The description for Event ID 1000 from source Application Error cannot be
found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your
local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair
the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to
be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

explorer.exe
6.0.6000.16386
4549b091
SHELL32.dll
6.0.6000.16386
4549bdb4
c0000005
0010346d

The substitution string for insert index (%1) could not be found

--
Jim Hansen

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> Usually a symptom of Explorer crashing & restarting...any clues in the Event
> Log?
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Jim Hansen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Everytime I re-boot my computer, several of my icon rearrange. Mainly the
> > bottom two icons I have at the bottom left of my desktop, to to the top of
> > the screen, and the three rows above them are shifted down. Then serveral
> > of
> > the icons at the top left of the desktop are moved and the icons from the
> > bottom replace them. Guess this is a new Vista feature.
> >
> > This started at the same time Multi-Files select was disabled in Windows
> > Explorer. Looks like they may be related.
> >
> > I have a RETAIL version of Windows Vista Premium on all new completely
> > Vista
> > Certified Computer Equipment.
> >

> > --
> > Jim Hansen

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhhbnNlbg==?=

      22nd Mar 2007
I installed Icon Restor and get some interesting results. Restore Icons has
the same problem as reboot. But, that helps to identify the problem. It
appears the Inter Explorer Link wants to be on the left edge of the desktop.
If it is not there, it puts it self there when the desktop is restored
pushing down other links which in turn scrambles all links after that to make
room.

--
Jim Hansen

"Daze N. Knights" wrote:

> I don't have a solution to the problem itself, but "Icon Restore" is a
> great, free app for periodically saving your desktop icon layout and
> then restoring it again whenever it gets messed up. I've been using it
> since Win98 and it works just as well in Vista. It sure saves a lot of
> time otherwise spent rearranging icons. It can be found here:
>
> http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html
>
> Daze
>
> -------------------
>

> Jim Hansen wrote:
> > Everytime I re-boot my computer, several of my icon rearrange. Mainly the
> > bottom two icons I have at the bottom left of my desktop, to to the top of
> > the screen, and the three rows above them are shifted down. Then serveral of
> > the icons at the top left of the desktop are moved and the icons from the
> > bottom replace them. Guess this is a new Vista feature.
> >
> > This started at the same time Multi-Files select was disabled in Windows
> > Explorer. Looks like they may be related.
> >
> > I have a RETAIL version of Windows Vista Premium on all new completely Vista
> > Certified Computer Equipment.

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhhbnNlbg==?=

      22nd Mar 2007
There have not been any crashes or errors between the last 10 reboots and
still everytime my icons get rearranged. Vista is too expensive and took too
many years in development for these types of issues to be occuring. These
are the BASICS. Come on!

Come on Microsoft I have been a fan and huge supporter of yours for decades.
This is just not acceptable. I am ready to dump Vista.

These is just not enough pluses for all the negatives. Vista is slower than
XP, it may be more stable, but that is only the OC. Programs crash much more
than with XP. I am just SOOOOO disappointed with vista right now.

--
Jim Hansen

"Jim Hansen" wrote:

> Yes there are a some Explorer 1000 errrors in the Event log:
>
> Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
> 0x4549b091, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp
> 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id
> 0x15cc, application start time 0x01c76c34dcc925a5.
> The description for Event ID 1000 from source Application Error cannot be
> found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your
> local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair
> the component on the local computer.
>
> If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to
> be saved with the event.
>
> The following information was included with the event:
>
> explorer.exe
> 6.0.6000.16386
> 4549b091
> SHELL32.dll
> 6.0.6000.16386
> 4549bdb4
> c0000005
> 0010346d
>
> The substitution string for insert index (%1) could not be found
>
> --
> Jim Hansen
>

> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
> > Usually a symptom of Explorer crashing & restarting...any clues in the Event
> > Log?
> >

> > --
> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Keith
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> >
> > "Jim Hansen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Everytime I re-boot my computer, several of my icon rearrange. Mainly the
> > > bottom two icons I have at the bottom left of my desktop, to to the top of
> > > the screen, and the three rows above them are shifted down. Then serveral
> > > of
> > > the icons at the top left of the desktop are moved and the icons from the
> > > bottom replace them. Guess this is a new Vista feature.
> > >
> > > This started at the same time Multi-Files select was disabled in Windows
> > > Explorer. Looks like they may be related.
> > >
> > > I have a RETAIL version of Windows Vista Premium on all new completely
> > > Vista
> > > Certified Computer Equipment.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Jim Hansen

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhhbnNlbg==?=

      22nd Mar 2007
Daze,

Even Icon Restore does not restore the Icons 100% after a reboot. Vista
really was not ready for release.

--
Jim Hansen

"Jim Hansen" wrote:

> I installed Icon Restor and get some interesting results. Restore Icons has
> the same problem as reboot. But, that helps to identify the problem. It
> appears the Inter Explorer Link wants to be on the left edge of the desktop.
> If it is not there, it puts it self there when the desktop is restored
> pushing down other links which in turn scrambles all links after that to make
> room.
>
> --
> Jim Hansen
>

> "Daze N. Knights" wrote:
>
> > I don't have a solution to the problem itself, but "Icon Restore" is a
> > great, free app for periodically saving your desktop icon layout and
> > then restoring it again whenever it gets messed up. I've been using it
> > since Win98 and it works just as well in Vista. It sure saves a lot of
> > time otherwise spent rearranging icons. It can be found here:
> >
> > http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html
> >
> > Daze
> >
> > -------------------
> >

> > Jim Hansen wrote:
> > > Everytime I re-boot my computer, several of my icon rearrange. Mainly the
> > > bottom two icons I have at the bottom left of my desktop, to to the top of
> > > the screen, and the three rows above them are shifted down. Then serveral of
> > > the icons at the top left of the desktop are moved and the icons from the
> > > bottom replace them. Guess this is a new Vista feature.
> > >
> > > This started at the same time Multi-Files select was disabled in Windows
> > > Explorer. Looks like they may be related.
> > >
> > > I have a RETAIL version of Windows Vista Premium on all new completely Vista
> > > Certified Computer Equipment.

Adam Albright

      22nd Mar 2007
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:33:03 -0700, Jim Hansen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There have not been any crashes or errors between the last 10 reboots and
>still everytime my icons get rearranged. Vista is too expensive and took too
>many years in development for these types of issues to be occuring. These
>are the BASICS. Come on!
>
>Come on Microsoft I have been a fan and huge supporter of yours for decades.
> This is just not acceptable. I am ready to dump Vista.

Windows resorting the Desktop icons for no apparant rhyme or reason is
a long running issue that's been in XP and prior versions and is one
of the things I'm referring to when I say Microsoft never seems to get
around to fixing what's broke in older versions before releasing new
versions which only adds to the number of bugs.

Daze N. Knights

      22nd Mar 2007
I'm sorry to hear that Icon Restore didn't help deal with the problem.
But as I said, I didn't expect it to solve the underlying problem
itself, whatever that may be. *My* Vista has none of the issues that you
say you are experiencing, so I know that your issues are not given
features of Vista, but something wrong with your particular
installation. So, if I were in *your* shoes, my choice would be to do a
complete reinstall of Vista, but then again, someone else more
Windows-savvy than myself may yet come by with a diagnosis offering a
simpler solution.

Jim Hansen wrote:
> Daze,
>
> Even Icon Restore does not restore the Icons 100% after a reboot. Vista
> really was not ready for release.

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhhbnNlbg==?=

      22nd Mar 2007
This was NEW CLEAN All new hardware install just three weeks ago. If I have
to do re-installs that often, I will start a class action lawsuit first.

Quite frankly, the reintall is a solution for ignoring what is causing the
problem to begin with. Microsoft needs to step up to the plate. They have
more than enough money and there is no excuse for all these problems.

--
Jim Hansen