My Desktop folder opens when windows xp startup

snomazushi

      4th Nov 2009
Windows XP Home SP2

For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my desktop
folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.

Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.

sn

Jose

      4th Nov 2009
On Nov 4, 5:06*pm, "snomazushi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my desktop
> folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.
>
> Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
> All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.
>
> sn

Perform some scans for malicious software first, then fix any
remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Bob I

      4th Nov 2009
If not malware, take a look in Start, Programs, Startup.

snomazushi wrote:
> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my
> desktop
> folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.
>
> Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
> All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.
>
> sn

SPAMCOP User

      4th Nov 2009
I agree with Bob basically but it could also be the registry run keys having
an invalid path

START | RUN | type REGEDIT & press ENTER

Navigate to:

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Check in the right pane for the offending item & delete it

Close the registry editor

Remember: before deleting anything in the registry use FILE menu | EXPORT,
choose a filename & path then click SAVE to make a backup

--
SPAMCOP User

"Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If not malware, take a look in Start, Programs, Startup.
>
> snomazushi wrote:
>> Windows XP Home SP2
>>
>> For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my
>> desktop
>> folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.
>>
>> Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
>> All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.
>>
>> sn

snomazushi

      5th Nov 2009
Thank you for your comments.

No, it isn't a malware. Legitimate folder opens up.

I looked inside the startup but am unable to find entry for such folder
staring up.

sn

"Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If not malware, take a look in Start, Programs, Startup.
>
> snomazushi wrote:
>> Windows XP Home SP2
>>
>> For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my
>> desktop
>> folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.
>>
>> Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
>> All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.
>>
>> sn

snomazushi

      5th Nov 2009
Thank you for your comments.

No, it isn't a malware. Legitimate folder opens up.

I looked inside the startup but am unable to find entry for such folder
staring up.

Per other gentleman's comments, I believe it may be the registry run keys
having an invalid path

sn

"Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If not malware, take a look in Start, Programs, Startup.
>
> snomazushi wrote:
>> Windows XP Home SP2
>>
>> For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my
>> desktop
>> folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.
>>
>> Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
>> All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.
>>
>> sn

snomazushi

      5th Nov 2009
hi

thank you for your comments. Let me take a look at your suggestion.

sn from zushi, japan

"SPAMCOP User" <spamcop_user@no_mail.haha> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I agree with Bob basically but it could also be the registry run keys
>having an invalid path
>
> START | RUN | type REGEDIT & press ENTER
>
> Navigate to:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> and
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> Check in the right pane for the offending item & delete it
>
> Close the registry editor
>
> Remember: before deleting anything in the registry use FILE menu | EXPORT,
> choose a filename & path then click SAVE to make a backup
>
> --
> SPAMCOP User
>
> "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If not malware, take a look in Start, Programs, Startup.
>>
>> snomazushi wrote:
>>> Windows XP Home SP2
>>>
>>> For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my
>>> desktop
>>> folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.
>>>
>>> Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from
>>> happening.
>>> All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.
>>>
>>> sn

VanguardLH

      5th Nov 2009
snomazushi wrote:

> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my desktop
> folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.
>
> Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
> All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.
>
> sn

Use Autoruns from SysInternals (now owned by Microsoft). It shows all
the startup locations, not just those with which users are familiar or
shown by the msconfig.exe tool. My guess is that you removed malware
but left some remnants behind. The malware's executable file may have
been removed as a startup item but not its parameters. Without the
parameters, and if they specify a path to a folder, then what is left is
just a "command" that points at the folder. With just the path
specified, Windows Explorer opens to show the contents of that path.

snomazushi

      5th Nov 2009

thank you for your comments

sn from zushi japan