My computer refuses to obey restart command

Damon

      10th Jul 2003
FOr some reason my computer has stopped obeying
the "restart" and "shut down" commands. This is the case
from the start menu as well as from the task manager
window (ctrl-alt-del). It simply is ignoring the
commands ...does nothing..etc. I have to hard shut down
by hitting the reset or killing the power, which I know
is awful. I have tried a system restore with no
success...can anyone out there help?????

Frank Mussgnug

      10th Jul 2003
Got a similar problem: Laptop restarts when trying to
shut it down. The problem started after installation. I
restarted it in safe mode and it shuts down without a
prob.
Any suggestions for help, other then formatting a
restarting from scratch?

or updating
>something?
>If you can get into safe mode, does it still do it? If

not, check to see
>what programs are starting up when XP starts.
>
>"Damon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:a22801c346a2$a9b2cee0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> FOr some reason my computer has stopped obeying
>> the "restart" and "shut down" commands. This is the

case
>> from the start menu as well as from the task manager
>> window (ctrl-alt-del). It simply is ignoring the
>> commands ...does nothing..etc. I have to hard shut

down
>> by hitting the reset or killing the power, which I know
>> is awful. I have tried a system restore with no
>> success...can anyone out there help?????

>.

EGMcCann

      10th Jul 2003
Go to MSConfig. Disable anything (non-service) running at startup, so you
essentially just have XP starting. See if it shuts down properly. Add
"needed" programs (antivirus,) check again. Finally, try the new or updated
program, see if it behaves the same way.

"Frank Mussgnug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a3f301c346c0$15761070$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got a similar problem: Laptop restarts when trying to
> shut it down. The problem started after installation. I
> restarted it in safe mode and it shuts down without a
> prob.
> Any suggestions for help, other then formatting a
> restarting from scratch?

odieman

      10th Jul 2003

ie reinstall xp, run updates restore to an earlier date
with no success. if you find something let me know and I
will do the samn. Thanks

David Robbins

      10th Jul 2003
slap it across the cd rom drive and yell 'bad computer, bad bad computer'.
if that doesn't get it's attention send it to bed without it's dinner.

when you select shutdown from the start menu does it show you the dialog?
if it does, what happens when you select shutdown from there??? the only
thing i can think of might be a hung driver or service. when you select
shutdown or restart windows tries to send a shutdown message to all running
processes then waits for them to respond, but, if they don't within a
reasonable time it should display a stuck program message and let you kill
it to finish the shutdown.

news:0e0b01c346d9$8c41dcc0$(E-Mail Removed)...