My borders/grids show on print preview, but won't print?

shawsec

      20th Mar 2008
Hello, I've been pulling my hair out for 2 days about this problem, and
cannot find a way to solve it. So ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
When I pull up an Excel Spreadsheet that I have been using for 5 years, the
entire area has All borders on it. So, that it appears with each line, and
each column seperated.

Okay, the borders show on my spreadsheet, they show when I got to Print
Preview, However; when I click print, the paper comes out, and NONE of my
borders on on it?? The words are, column headers, etc., numbers on the left
of each line, But NO Borders?? It's now doing this on every single excel
document that I have that shows borders on it. None Print out!?! PLEASE if
anyone can help me, this is SO aggravating! Sincerely, Candace/shawsec.

Ryan

      20th Mar 2008
I've had a couple users with this problem too. It seemed to vary depending
on the printer they used i.e. when they printed it on a bigger more expensive
printer it came out normally

"shawsec" wrote:

> Hello, I've been pulling my hair out for 2 days about this problem, and
> cannot find a way to solve it. So ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
> When I pull up an Excel Spreadsheet that I have been using for 5 years, the
> entire area has All borders on it. So, that it appears with each line, and
> each column seperated.
>
> Okay, the borders show on my spreadsheet, they show when I got to Print
> Preview, However; when I click print, the paper comes out, and NONE of my
> borders on on it?? The words are, column headers, etc., numbers on the left
> of each line, But NO Borders?? It's now doing this on every single excel
> document that I have that shows borders on it. None Print out!?! PLEASE if
> anyone can help me, this is SO aggravating! Sincerely, Candace/shawsec.

GuruGirl

      23rd Mar 2008
Having some trouble understanding the phrasing of your question...can you
please redefine the following part?

"has All borders on it."...Do you mean the gridlines are Black or visible?

"So, that it appears with each line, and each column seperated."...separated
by what? Lines or empty columns?

Sorry not getting the question....try again.

"shawsec" wrote:

> Hello, I've been pulling my hair out for 2 days about this problem, and
> cannot find a way to solve it. So ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
> When I pull up an Excel Spreadsheet that I have been using for 5 years, the
> entire area has All borders on it. So, that it appears with each line, and
> each column seperated.
>
> Okay, the borders show on my spreadsheet, they show when I got to Print
> Preview, However; when I click print, the paper comes out, and NONE of my
> borders on on it?? The words are, column headers, etc., numbers on the left
> of each line, But NO Borders?? It's now doing this on every single excel
> document that I have that shows borders on it. None Print out!?! PLEASE if
> anyone can help me, this is SO aggravating! Sincerely, Candace/shawsec.

shawsec

      25th Mar 2008
"has All borders on it."...Do you mean the gridlines are Black or visible?

**Meaning, that YES all the Borders are black and visible, just as they
should be.

"So, that it appears with each line, and each column seperated."...separated
by what? Lines or empty columns?

**Seperated by LINES, The Borders that are set in my spreadsheet.

**Everything shows up perfectly when I pull up my spreadsheet by double
clicking on it, it even looks correct when I do a Print Preview, but when I
click on Print, the paper that comes out of my printer ONLY has TEXT on it,
It's all located in the right places, but there are NO
lines/borders/gridlines at all on the printed document!
Thanks

"GuruGirl" wrote:

> Having some trouble understanding the phrasing of your question...can you
> please redefine the following part?
>
> "has All borders on it."...Do you mean the gridlines are Black or visible?
>
> "So, that it appears with each line, and each column seperated."...separated
> by what? Lines or empty columns?
>
> Sorry not getting the question....try again.
>

> "shawsec" wrote:
>
> > Hello, I've been pulling my hair out for 2 days about this problem, and
> > cannot find a way to solve it. So ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
> > When I pull up an Excel Spreadsheet that I have been using for 5 years, the
> > entire area has All borders on it. So, that it appears with each line, and
> > each column seperated.
> >
> > Okay, the borders show on my spreadsheet, they show when I got to Print
> > Preview, However; when I click print, the paper comes out, and NONE of my
> > borders on on it?? The words are, column headers, etc., numbers on the left
> > of each line, But NO Borders?? It's now doing this on every single excel
> > document that I have that shows borders on it. None Print out!?! PLEASE if
> > anyone can help me, this is SO aggravating! Sincerely, Candace/shawsec.

GuruGirl

      26th Mar 2008
Yep, agree, printer issue, drivers probably.

You can always try cutting and pasting your data into a new workbook, save
it, set up the page again, and see if a new workbook solves the issue, that
is assuming that the file used to print just fine from the same printer in
the past. Quirky.

"shawsec" wrote:

> "has All borders on it."...Do you mean the gridlines are Black or visible?
>
> **Meaning, that YES all the Borders are black and visible, just as they
> should be.
>
> "So, that it appears with each line, and each column seperated."...separated
> by what? Lines or empty columns?
>
> **Seperated by LINES, The Borders that are set in my spreadsheet.
>
> **Everything shows up perfectly when I pull up my spreadsheet by double
> clicking on it, it even looks correct when I do a Print Preview, but when I
> click on Print, the paper that comes out of my printer ONLY has TEXT on it,
> It's all located in the right places, but there are NO
> lines/borders/gridlines at all on the printed document!
> Thanks
>
> "GuruGirl" wrote:
>
> > Having some trouble understanding the phrasing of your question...can you
> > please redefine the following part?
> >
> > "has All borders on it."...Do you mean the gridlines are Black or visible?
> >
> > "So, that it appears with each line, and each column seperated."...separated
> > by what? Lines or empty columns?
> >
> > Sorry not getting the question....try again.
> >

> > "shawsec" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I've been pulling my hair out for 2 days about this problem, and
> > > cannot find a way to solve it. So ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
> > > When I pull up an Excel Spreadsheet that I have been using for 5 years, the
> > > entire area has All borders on it. So, that it appears with each line, and
> > > each column seperated.
> > >
> > > Okay, the borders show on my spreadsheet, they show when I got to Print
> > > Preview, However; when I click print, the paper comes out, and NONE of my
> > > borders on on it?? The words are, column headers, etc., numbers on the left
> > > of each line, But NO Borders?? It's now doing this on every single excel
> > > document that I have that shows borders on it. None Print out!?! PLEASE if
> > > anyone can help me, this is SO aggravating! Sincerely, Candace/shawsec.

Cobra2140

      3rd Jun 2008
I disagree.
I am having the same problem which is driving me and my associates crazy.
Any thick borders print just fine, the standard size borders will not.

In order to get all the borders to print we have to do one of the following
things:
1: go to print preview and either turn margins on or off, then print.
2: select a cell, then go to borders, cancel out back to the spreadsheet,
then print.
3: go to print preview, zoom in on the document, then zoom back out, then
print.
4: Save and close the document and reopen it, then print.

I know none of these solutions should have anything to do with getting the
borders to print, and they sound completely rediculous, but for some reason
doing one of these actually works.... Sometimes.

"GuruGirl" wrote:

> Yep, agree, printer issue, drivers probably.
>
> You can always try cutting and pasting your data into a new workbook, save
> it, set up the page again, and see if a new workbook solves the issue, that
> is assuming that the file used to print just fine from the same printer in
> the past. Quirky.
>

> "shawsec" wrote:
>
> > "has All borders on it."...Do you mean the gridlines are Black or visible?
> >
> > **Meaning, that YES all the Borders are black and visible, just as they
> > should be.
> >
> > "So, that it appears with each line, and each column seperated."...separated
> > by what? Lines or empty columns?
> >
> > **Seperated by LINES, The Borders that are set in my spreadsheet.
> >
> > **Everything shows up perfectly when I pull up my spreadsheet by double
> > clicking on it, it even looks correct when I do a Print Preview, but when I
> > click on Print, the paper that comes out of my printer ONLY has TEXT on it,
> > It's all located in the right places, but there are NO
> > lines/borders/gridlines at all on the printed document!
> > Thanks
> >
> > "GuruGirl" wrote:
> >
> > > Having some trouble understanding the phrasing of your question...can you
> > > please redefine the following part?
> > >
> > > "has All borders on it."...Do you mean the gridlines are Black or visible?
> > >
> > > "So, that it appears with each line, and each column seperated."...separated
> > > by what? Lines or empty columns?
> > >
> > > Sorry not getting the question....try again.

Cyndy Loomis

      2nd Jul 2008
I have been having issues with this myself and found that if I don't set the print area the grid lines will print.

LC

      31st Jul 2008
I'm having the same problem and my users are getting very aggravated. The
borders show up on the screen and in print preview, but not when printed.
I've tried several different printers and have the same result. I've updated
drivers and haven't been able to resolve. The only thing I can find is that
it seems to happen where there are items outside of the print area. If you
copy the content in the print area to a new worksheet and don't set the print
area it prints fine. Or we found that printing one page at a time works too.
We didn’t have the problem until upgrading to Office 2007.

"Cyndy Loomis" wrote:

> I have been having issues with this myself and found that if I don't set the print area the grid lines will print.

Lorri

      28th Mar 2010

"Cyndy Loomis" wrote:

> I have been having issues with this myself and found that if I don't set the print area the grid lines will print.

Thanks Cyndy, after trying the other suggestions here, yours was the one
that finally worked for me.
Smiles,

New Member

      20th Feb 2012
I tried all of Guru Girl's suggestions and the last one worked; save, close and then reopen the Excel doc and print. Just out of the blue this started happening to me last week. Crazy.