MVP's?? Excel 97 AND Excel 2003???

Ken Macksey

      7th Feb 2004
Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to successfully install and run Excel 97
on a system that is currently running Win xp pro and Office xp 2002?
I want to have both excel 97 and excel 2002 running on the same system
for testing purposes.

KenM

Ken Macksey

      7th Feb 2004
Sorry, the subject above should have read 2002.

KenM

Chip Pearson

      7th Feb 2004
Ken,

Yes, you can run Office 97 and Office 2002 on the same machine.
First, remove Office XP. Then install Office 97. Finally,
reinstall Office 2002. During the installation process, be sure
to specify different folders for 97 and 2002, and be sure to
select the "Keep Existing Versions" option during the 2002
install process.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Ken Macksey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to successfully install and

run Excel 97
> on a system that is currently running Win xp pro and Office xp

2002?
> I want to have both excel 97 and excel 2002 running on the same

system
> for testing purposes.
>

> KenM

Ken Macksey

      7th Feb 2004
Thanks for the info Chip.

KenM

Peter Atherton

      8th Feb 2004

Ken

Yes, go ahead and install it.

Regards
Peter

Tom Ogilvy

      8th Feb 2004
Bad advice - see Chip's answer.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

Peter Atherton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c61f01c3edeb$4ae90af0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

Norman Harker

      8th Feb 2004
Hi Ken!

I'd add to Chip's answer out of caution more than any bad experiences.

Firstly, after uninstalling Office 2002, run a Registry cleaner to get
rid of anything that uninstalling has still left behind. Using Norton
Systemworks I find that there's quite a lot left behind.

Secondly, I think that after a basic install of Excel 97 you should
apply all the updates as well before you proceed to Office 2002.

I adopted this process with installs of 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 and
have had no problems.
--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"Chip Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ken,
>
> Yes, you can run Office 97 and Office 2002 on the same machine.
> First, remove Office XP. Then install Office 97. Finally,
> reinstall Office 2002. During the installation process, be sure
> to specify different folders for 97 and 2002, and be sure to
> select the "Keep Existing Versions" option during the 2002
> install process.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com

Ron de Bruin

      8th Feb 2004
>Secondly, I think that after a basic install of Excel 97 you should
>apply all the updates as well before you proceed to Office 2002.

See this KB for all the 97 updates
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232652

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

"Norman Harker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Ken!
>
> I'd add to Chip's answer out of caution more than any bad experiences.
>
> Firstly, after uninstalling Office 2002, run a Registry cleaner to get
> rid of anything that uninstalling has still left behind. Using Norton
> Systemworks I find that there's quite a lot left behind.
>
> Secondly, I think that after a basic install of Excel 97 you should
> apply all the updates as well before you proceed to Office 2002.
>
> I adopted this process with installs of 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 and
> have had no problems.
> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.
> "Chip Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ken,
> >
> > Yes, you can run Office 97 and Office 2002 on the same machine.
> > First, remove Office XP. Then install Office 97. Finally,
> > reinstall Office 2002. During the installation process, be sure
> > to specify different folders for 97 and 2002, and be sure to
> > select the "Keep Existing Versions" option during the 2002
> > install process.
> >

> > --
> > Cordially,
> > Chip Pearson
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> > www.cpearson.com

Don Guillett

      8th Feb 2004
To add my two cents. Generally I agree with all that was said about best to
have the oldest first and newest last. BUT, my Dell came with Office sba
2002 installed. I installed xl95 and then xl97 sr2 and had NO problems. I
repeat, NO problems. All three work just fine. So, best to uninstall the
new, install the old re-install the new. BUT, you could try it, as I did,
and see what happens.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Ken Macksey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to successfully install and run Excel

97
> on a system that is currently running Win xp pro and Office xp 2002?
> I want to have both excel 97 and excel 2002 running on the same system
> for testing purposes.
>

> KenM

Ken Macksey

      8th Feb 2004
Thanks again to all for the information.

KenM