must pay attention to what when replacing hdd by ssd in laptop?

Massimo

      1st Aug 2012
Hello,

I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.

Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
matter and to whom I should pay attention?

Massimo

Paul

      1st Aug 2012
Massimo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
>
> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
> matter and to whom I should pay attention?
>
> Massimo

If you buy a 550MB/sec SSD, it won't get the full speed from a
300MB/sec laptop SATA interface. This does not affect the operation
at all, just your expectations of the speed should be reduced.

*******

SSD drives draw different amounts of DC power. A hard drive, might
use about 2 watts during read/write. Some of the early SSD drives
used higher power levels. This is an issue if the hard drive bay
in your laptop, normally gets hot. (This has even been a problem
in the past, with replacing a 5400 RPM HDD with a 7200 RPM HDD.
Some of those would overheat, because the cooling was so poor.)

To give an example:

Power Consumption (Idle) 0.4W
Power Consumption (Active) 7.3W

Now, such an SSD drive might not spend much time doing read/write, so
you could argue the time spent in the 7.3W state is minuscule. But
the drives also re-arrange data internally, when they're not busy
doing other things. Which can consume some power. If a drive has
been abused by doing a random 4K write test, it might take
half the night for the drive to re-arrange data internally.

Now, we compare to another SSD drive.

Power Consumption (Idle) 0.08W
Power Consumption (Active) 0.12W

Those values are unbelievably good. Should we trust such a declaration ?
If the SSD had eight channels internally, and 8 flash chips doing write
or erase at the same time, would the total power be only 0.12W ?

If I pick a laptop HDD at random:

WD Scorpio Black 250 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD2500BEKT)

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=790

Power Dissipation

Read/Write 2.50 Watts
Idle 0.85 Watts
Standby 0.25 Watts
Sleep 0.15 Watts

That's to give some idea what the laptop would normally have in it.

Paul

Sjouke Burry

      1st Aug 2012
Massimo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,
>
> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
>
> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
> matter and to whom I should pay attention?
>
> Massimo

Bij microsoft software ophalen, om het schrijven naar disk te verminderen.

tb

      1st Aug 2012
On 8/1/2012 at 6:33:15 AM Massimo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
>
> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
> matter and to whom I should pay attention?
>
> Massimo

This article might help you:
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...er-market-ssd/

--
tb

Massimo

      1st Aug 2012
On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 08:20:02 -0400, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Massimo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
>>
>> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
>> matter and to whom I should pay attention?
>>
>> Massimo

>If you buy a 550MB/sec SSD, it won't get the full speed from a
>300MB/sec laptop SATA interface. This does not affect the operation
>at all, just your expectations of the speed should be reduced.

I know. The biggest gain would be in shorter load/open times. High
iops will be most important.
>*******
>
>SSD drives draw different amounts of DC power. A hard drive, might
>use about 2 watts during read/write. Some of the early SSD drives
>used higher power levels. This is an issue if the hard drive bay
>in your laptop, normally gets hot. (This has even been a problem
>in the past, with replacing a 5400 RPM HDD with a 7200 RPM HDD.
>Some of those would overheat, because the cooling was so poor.)
>
>To give an example:
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233227
>
> Power Consumption (Idle) 0.4W
> Power Consumption (Active) 7.3W
>
>Now, such an SSD drive might not spend much time doing read/write, so
>you could argue the time spent in the 7.3W state is minuscule. But
>the drives also re-arrange data internally, when they're not busy
>doing other things. Which can consume some power. If a drive has
>been abused by doing a random 4K write test, it might take
>half the night for the drive to re-arrange data internally.
>
>Now, we compare to another SSD drive.
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147164
>
> Power Consumption (Idle) 0.08W
> Power Consumption (Active) 0.12W

So the power consumption of the drive certainly is something to pay
attention to. Allright.

>Those values are unbelievably good. Should we trust such a declaration ?
>If the SSD had eight channels internally, and 8 flash chips doing write
>or erase at the same time, would the total power be only 0.12W ?
>
>If I pick a laptop HDD at random:
>
>WD Scorpio Black 250 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD2500BEKT)
>
>http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=790
>
> Power Dissipation
>
> Read/Write 2.50 Watts
> Idle 0.85 Watts
> Standby 0.25 Watts
> Sleep 0.15 Watts
>
>That's to give some idea what the laptop would normally have in it.

Uh. o.k.

> Paul

Thank you for your comments Paul.
--------------------------------
So it is not necessary to look at the interface? No smaller interface
model needed?

Massimo

Massimo

      1st Aug 2012
On 01 Aug 2012 16:43:24 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:

>Massimo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
>>
>> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
>> matter and to whom I should pay attention?
>>
>> Massimo
>>

>Bij microsoft software ophalen, om het schrijven naar disk te verminderen.

Hoe heet de software waar je nu op hint?

Bedankt Sjouke,

Massimo

Sjouke Burry

      1st Aug 2012
Massimo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 01 Aug 2012 16:43:24 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:
>
>>Massimo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
>>>
>>> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things
>>> that matter and to whom I should pay attention?
>>>
>>> Massimo
>>>

>>Bij microsoft software ophalen, om het schrijven naar disk te
>>verminderen.

> Hoe heet de software waar je nu op hint?
>
> Bedankt Sjouke,
>
> Massimo

Heb alleen in een nieuwsgroep iemand anders horen vertellen
dat er software/instellingen van M$ afkomstig zijn, om
de schrijfacties te minimaliseren op deze schijven.
Die zijn nl. schadelijk voor deze disks.
Probeer google.

Massimo

      2nd Aug 2012
On 01 Aug 2012 20:43:28 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:

>Massimo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On 01 Aug 2012 16:43:24 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:
>>
>>>Massimo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>>Bij microsoft software ophalen, om het schrijven naar disk te
>>>verminderen.

>> Hoe heet de software waar je nu op hint?
>>
>> Bedankt Sjouke,
>>
>> Massimo
>>

>Heb alleen in een nieuwsgroep iemand anders horen vertellen
>dat er software/instellingen van M$ afkomstig zijn, om
>de schrijfacties te minimaliseren op deze schijven.
>Die zijn nl. schadelijk voor deze disks.
>Probeer google.

Okay, Sjouke

Massimo

Massimo

      2nd Aug 2012
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:13:47 +0000 (UTC), "tb" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 8/1/2012 at 6:33:15 AM Massimo wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
>>
>> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
>> matter and to whom I should pay attention?
>>
>> Massimo

>This article might help you:
>http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...er-market-ssd/

Thanks for the url. I read it with pleasure.
The problems the author talks about will however easily be avoided by
me. :-)

Massimo