Music search by duration: Windows Desktop Search

jva1254

      10th Feb 2009
Using "Windows Desktop Search" , I tried to find some songs by
duration(minutes and seconds, less than or more than certain duration, i.e 3
mins ~4 mins). As advised from "Windows Desktop Search Help"- Properties for
file type: Music, I typed the syntax like this *.mp3 kind:music and found
there are some items in the head such as title, artists, album as well as
duration, but no values(min:sec) under the duration column from the whole 846
files(songs). Also " *.mp3 kind:music duration:4:02" shows nothing found.

In the Window Explorer, I can see the duration of the songs(but cannot
define by the duration when searching).

'Help and Support Centre' from Search Companion, it says;
To change the appearance of Search Companion
Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
Click Change preferences.
Click Change files and folders search behavior.
Click Standard to be able to search for a variety of things, such as files,
folders, and people, from one location.
-or- Click Advanced to quickly display the options to search for files and
folders.

Where can I find Change preferences? Is there something that I am missing or
do I have to reinstall Windows?

XP Professional V 2002 SP 2 Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.8GHz, 1.50Gb Ram

Orange

      10th Feb 2009

"jva1254" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using "Windows Desktop Search" , I tried to find some songs by
> duration(minutes and seconds, less than or more than certain duration, i.e
> 3
> mins ~4 mins). As advised from "Windows Desktop Search Help"- Properties
> for
> file type: Music, I typed the syntax like this *.mp3 kind:music and found
> there are some items in the head such as title, artists, album as well as
> duration, but no values(min:sec) under the duration column from the whole
> 846
> files(songs). Also " *.mp3 kind:music duration:4:02" shows nothing found.
>
> In the Window Explorer, I can see the duration of the songs(but cannot
> define by the duration when searching).
>
> 'Help and Support Centre' from Search Companion, it says;
> To change the appearance of Search Companion
> Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
> Click Change preferences.
> Click Change files and folders search behavior.
> Click Standard to be able to search for a variety of things, such as
> files,
> folders, and people, from one location.
> -or- Click Advanced to quickly display the options to search for files and
> folders.
>
> Where can I find Change preferences? Is there something that I am missing
> or
> do I have to reinstall Windows?
>

> XP Professional V 2002 SP 2 Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.8GHz, 1.50Gb Ram

No ***PLEASE *** don't re-install. What good will it do you ?

My suggestion is a as follows :

Don't use Desktop Seach, use the ordinary Windows Seach (bottom left hand
corner of the Windows Desktop window).

In All or part of the File type in *.mp3.

Do a search..

When you have the results right click on one of the header bars (Name, for
example) and make sure Duration is checked in the drop down menu you'll see.

Once Duration is shown, click on it once with the mouse. That will sort your
mp3's by length (duration). You can then see which ones are between the time
duration you want.

I can't think of another way to do it.

Cheers,
Jerry

jva1254

      2nd Mar 2009
Dear Jerry.

Thank you so much for the kind advise. In fact I do the search as such you
instructed me. I presumed new Windows Search could help for my need to find
those certain duration of the songs, that I haven't utilized. Still though it
would be better that we can define the duration say between 3 and 4 minutes.
Anyhow you kind advise has eased me for more struggling. I would highly
appreciate your time and contributon. Jae