Multiple users working on one Workbook simultaneously

melvin

      28th Jan 2004
Hi folks,

Does anyone know of a way that multiple users can work on the same
spreadsheet simultaneously without creating two different copies??

When two (or more) people try to work on the same spreadsheet, the
latter can only open as 'Read Only' and therefore when each person
saves, two different versions of the sheet are created. Can both
persons changes be saved on the same sheet under the same name?

Any assistance is greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Stuart Wilson

---

Paul

      28th Jan 2004
"melvin >" <<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone know of a way that multiple users can work on the same
> spreadsheet simultaneously without creating two different copies??
>
> When two (or more) people try to work on the same spreadsheet, the
> latter can only open as 'Read Only' and therefore when each person
> saves, two different versions of the sheet are created. Can both
> persons changes be saved on the same sheet under the same name?
>
> Any assistance is greatly, greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>
> Stuart Wilson

No. If you think about it, you will see that this is not possible. How does
Excel know that the changes are compatible? For example, if one person puts
a number in cell A1 and another person puts a formula (or a different
number) there, what would you expect Excel to do?

Bob Phillips

      28th Jan 2004
Stuart,

You can share a workbook, but this does reduce some of the functionality,
and can be problematical. Look up 'Collaborate on Excel workbooks with other
people' in Help.
--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"melvin >" <<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone know of a way that multiple users can work on the same
> spreadsheet simultaneously without creating two different copies??
>
> When two (or more) people try to work on the same spreadsheet, the
> latter can only open as 'Read Only' and therefore when each person
> saves, two different versions of the sheet are created. Can both
> persons changes be saved on the same sheet under the same name?
>
> Any assistance is greatly, greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>
> Stuart Wilson
>

> ---

melvin

      28th Jan 2004
Hi Paul,

I should have been clearer with my application... I have a
administration team that takes calls from sick employees and the rot
needs updated accordingly. Members of the admin staff are never goin
to take a call from the same employee simultaneously, and therefor
they will never be modifying the same cell simultaneously.

I hoped there would be a way for everyone to access it and each mak
changes in turn, without having to save the document under a differen
name each time.

Sorry for the confusion - I hope this makes the problem a littl
clearer

Kind regards,

Stuar

Frank Kabel

      28th Jan 2004
Hi Stuart
though in your case no one intends to change the same cell at the same
time, Excel does not know this organizational restriction. So
regardless of your usage Exel prevents editing the same worksheet at
the same time by different persons.

For this kind of application a databse will be better suited (IMO) as
it allows multi-user access and incorporates procedures how to deal
with access to the same information/attribute at the same time
(locking, etc.)

Frank

> Hi Paul,
>
> I should have been clearer with my application... I have an
> administration team that takes calls from sick employees and the rota
> needs updated accordingly. Members of the admin staff are never

going
> to take a call from the same employee simultaneously, and therefore
> they will never be modifying the same cell simultaneously.
>
> I hoped there would be a way for everyone to access it and each make
> changes in turn, without having to save the document under a

different
> name each time.
>
> Sorry for the confusion - I hope this makes the problem a little
> clearer
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Stuart

=?Utf-8?B?QWRhbUU=?=

      28th Jan 2004
Melvin

What I would do is have the sickness chart on your pc, then send for review to your admin staff taking the calls. If they then work on it, Save the spreadsheet, save on the email then forward back to you

All you then do is click Yes at the prompt when you open there files and it will merge all of the new data into the main spreadsheet on your pc.

melvin

      28th Jan 2004
Hi All

Thanks for all your input. Unfortunately, our database system is not
operational yet - my only option is using Excel!

Are there any forseeable problems using a Shared Workbook for my
application?? e.g. issues with saving the sheet?

Remember: No two people will be formatting the same cells at one time,
only different cells in the same Workbook.

Thanks for your continuing assistance and first class support!

Kindest regards,

Stuart

---

Rick

      28th Jan 2004
Check out the "Share Workbook" feature. It is found under the "Tools"
menu.

This feature lets multiple users access the same workbook at the same
time. If by chance 2 users change the same cell, the second user to
save the workbook will be notified that the cell had been changed by
another user, and he will be asked if he wishes to overwrite the other
users changes.

The feature also has an option to track the changes made to the
contents. You can go back and see that user "Bob" changed cell A7 from
a "yes" to a "no".

Rick