Multiple Stop Errors

=?Utf-8?B?c2p3b28=?=

      8th Jul 2004
I would like to thank in advance any help anyone offers to my dilemma. I have scoured the net looking for solutions and could not find any.
(I will post all system information at the end of this post).

Problem 1 - Unexplained Reboots
Often times when I turn on my desktop, Windows begins to load and the computer simply reboots itself during the splash screen. Sometimes after I log in. Sometimes when I turn Winamp. It basically reboots whenever it feels like it with no warning or stop error. This happens some of the time.

Problem 2 - 1st Stop Error
This stop error is very infrequent, but when it does creep up, it goes a little something like this:

**STOP: 0x00000028 (0x0019025E, 0xAEE910E4, 0xAEE90D3C, 0x88D52BF1)
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

When this happens, I run chkdsk on all my partitions, and it never returns an error. Chkdsk always finishes without any errors to report, ever. However, this stop error is very infrequent, so I don't worry about it too much.

Problem 3 - 2nd Stop Error
Here's the 2nd one:

**STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

This one is very frequent. I know the 0x08 means there is a double fault. However, I don't know how to locate or fix the problem. Sometimes I have to reboot several times before windows 2000 loads completely.

Problem 4 - 3rd Stop Error (man my comp is really screwed up)
**STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This one is less frequent than the last, but seems to happen every time I try to play a DVD.

Win2KPro Service Pack 4
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (ver. 1)
GFX - ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro 128MB
HD's - 2 x 40GB Seagate Barracuda
CD-RW - ASUS 48x24x52x
DVD-RW - SONY 510-A

Voltages taken using Motherboard Monitor 5
Voltage Readout[1] : 1.584
Voltage Readout[2] : 2.5979
Voltage Readout[3] : 3.296
Voltage Readout[4] : 4.992
Voltage Readout[5] : 12.096
Voltage Readout[6] : -11.98912
Voltage Readout[7] : -5.33104

Temperatures taken using temp. probes:
CPU: 38C idle 47C load
GPU: 36C idle 52C load

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic program passed with extended tests on.
Seagate hard drive utility scanned hard drives with not errors.
I have checked all the capacitors on the motherboard and do not see any bulging or leaking.

The link below will take you to a page listing I/O, Conflicts/Sharing, and IRQ's reports taken from within Win2KPro.

Most of the time, I have to reboot the system numerous times before I am able to log into windows. Even then, it is unstable and reboots or give me stop errors. At first I thought it was the graphics card, but I recently replaced that. I have tried reformatting multiple times to no avail. The same errors seem to creep up every time.
--
-stephano

Dave Patrick

      8th Jul 2004
Almost always a hardware and or driver issue.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...d0ddbf.xml.asp

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"sjwoo" wrote:
> [...]
| Voltage Readout[6] : -11.98912
| Voltage Readout[7] : -5.33104
|
| Temperatures taken using temp. probes:
| CPU: 38C idle 47C load
| GPU: 36C idle 52C load
|
| Microsoft Memory Diagnostic program passed with extended tests on.
| Seagate hard drive utility scanned hard drives with not errors.
| I have checked all the capacitors on the motherboard and do not see any
bulging or leaking.

| The link below will take you to a page listing I/O, Conflicts/Sharing, and
IRQ's reports taken from within Win2KPro.

| Most of the time, I have to reboot the system numerous times before I am
able to log into windows. Even then, it is unstable and reboots or give me
stop errors. At first I thought it was the graphics card, but I recently
replaced that. I have tried reformatting multiple times to no avail. The
same errors seem to creep up every time.

=?Utf-8?B?c2p3b28=?=

      8th Jul 2004
Thanks for the tip Dave. Any tips on how to debug the dump files? I've been trying to determine which driver it is (assuming it isn't a hardware problem, which is a BIG assumption). In your experience, have problems like these been more often a hardware failure or a bad third-party driver?
--
-stephano

Dave Patrick

      8th Jul 2004
This article may help. It really could be either as far as the hardware or
driver.

"sjwoo" wrote:
| Thanks for the tip Dave. Any tips on how to debug the dump files? I've
been trying to determine which driver it is (assuming it isn't a hardware
problem, which is a BIG assumption). In your experience, have problems like
these been more often a hardware failure or a bad third-party driver?
| --
| -stephano

Dave Patrick

      8th Jul 2004
More likely is non-compliant hardware and or system bios.

--

"sjwoo" wrote:
|I have decided to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Professional, to
determine step by step (as tedious as it is) which drivers, when installed,
begins this constant barrage of stop errors. However, I've run into a snag.
After booting from the Win2K CD and installing the necessary files on a
newly formatted partition, the computer reboots and begins loading windows.
After the splash screen, the customary screen for entering setup information
is displayed. Then the computer unexpectedly reboots itself. Upon the next
reboot, the same thing happens again. Could this be indicative of a greater
malady other than driver incompatibility?
| --
| -stephano

=?Utf-8?B?c2p3b28=?=

      8th Jul 2004
I believe I have determined the reboots to be caused by the graphics card. If there is no hardware malfunction, but instead an incompatibility caused by windows attempting to identify the display adapter, what steps should I take to install Win2K when it keep rebooting before the files are copied after the splash screen?
--
-stephano

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> More likely is non-compliant hardware and or system bios.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "sjwoo" wrote:
> |I have decided to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Professional, to
> determine step by step (as tedious as it is) which drivers, when installed,
> begins this constant barrage of stop errors. However, I've run into a snag.
> After booting from the Win2K CD and installing the necessary files on a
> newly formatted partition, the computer reboots and begins loading windows.
> After the splash screen, the customary screen for entering setup information
> is displayed. Then the computer unexpectedly reboots itself. Upon the next
> reboot, the same thing happens again. Could this be indicative of a greater
> malady other than driver incompatibility?
> | --
> | -stephano

Dave Patrick

      8th Jul 2004
Try another graphics adapter to get you through the install.

--

"sjwoo" wrote:
|I believe I have determined the reboots to be caused by the graphics card.
If there is no hardware malfunction, but instead an incompatibility caused
by windows attempting to identify the display adapter, what steps should I
take to install Win2K when it keep rebooting before the files are copied
after the splash screen?
| --
| -stephano

Dave Patrick

      8th Jul 2004
Check that the mother board and system bios are Windows 2000 compatible.
Also check that you're using the correct driver for the drive controller.
You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--

"sjwoo" wrote:
| Tried a different graphics card that is Win2K compatible, and the system
now reboots by itself when windows is copying files from the CD to the hard
drive during install after the splash screen or during the time windows is
trying to detect hardware during install. Please advise.

| Thank-you for the help you have provided thus far. This is much more
information than I could have hoped for.
| --
| -stephano

=?Utf-8?B?c2p3b28=?=

      9th Jul 2004
The 2 seagate baracuda 80GB hard drives are Ultra ATA/100. Integrated RAID function on the motherboard is DISABLED.
--
-stephano

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check that the mother board and system bios are Windows 2000 compatible.
> Also check that you're using the correct driver for the drive controller.
> You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
> ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
> setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
> inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
> and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
> insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
> controller in drive "A"
>
> If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
> late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
> resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "sjwoo" wrote:
> | Tried a different graphics card that is Win2K compatible, and the system
> now reboots by itself when windows is copying files from the CD to the hard
> drive during install after the splash screen or during the time windows is
> trying to detect hardware during install. Please advise.
> |
> | Thank-you for the help you have provided thus far. This is much more
> information than I could have hoped for.
> | --
> | -stephano

Dave Patrick

      10th Jul 2004
You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
\bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
supplied Windows 2000 driver for your ultra ATA controller in drive "A"