Multi-user database deployment

hjgoldstein

      3rd Jun 2010
Dear all,

I have a database which I want to share on a Citrix Metaframe network.

I have set up user level security and then split the database into front-
and back-end. the back-end will, of course, be in a shared folder on the
server, and I will distribute the front-end to each user to deploy on their
Citrix desktop.

Here's where the issue arises. In the shortcut which opens the front-end i
have the following (for my desktop):

Target:

"X:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "X:\Documents and
Settings\i06547\Desktop\AuditFE.mdb" /WRKGRP "P:\AuditDB\AuditDB.mdw"

Start in:

"X:\Documents and Settings\i06547\Desktop\"

As you can see, the path to the desktop is ...\I06547\... which is my user
name for this particular network.

Am I over-complicating things? Is it possible to leave the front-end in a
shared folder as with the back-end and avoid having to customise the shortcut
for each user? If not, I shall have to bite the bullet and do it the long
way round.

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

Arvin Meyer [MVP]

      4th Jun 2010
I haven't used Citrix in about 6 years, but in MS-Terminal Server, the best
practice is to build a folder for each user on the Terminal Server itself,
and put a copy of the Front-end in each user's folder, linked to a shared
back-end.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"hjgoldstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all,
>
> I have a database which I want to share on a Citrix Metaframe network.
>
> I have set up user level security and then split the database into front-
> and back-end. the back-end will, of course, be in a shared folder on the
> server, and I will distribute the front-end to each user to deploy on
> their
> Citrix desktop.
>
> Here's where the issue arises. In the shortcut which opens the front-end
> have the following (for my desktop):
>
> Target:
>
> "X:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "X:\Documents
> and
> Settings\i06547\Desktop\AuditFE.mdb" /WRKGRP "P:\AuditDB\AuditDB.mdw"
>
> Start in:
>
> "X:\Documents and Settings\i06547\Desktop\"
>
> As you can see, the path to the desktop is ...\I06547\... which is my user
> name for this particular network.
>
> Am I over-complicating things? Is it possible to leave the front-end in a
> shared folder as with the back-end and avoid having to customise the
> shortcut
> for each user? If not, I shall have to bite the bullet and do it the long
> way round.
>
> Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

hjgoldstein

      4th Jun 2010
You beat me to posting, Arvin. This morning, I spkoke to a network
administrator who is setting up a root mapping to the personal folder.
Problem solved.

Thanks for your response.