How much data Access can handle?

=?Utf-8?B?U3VuaWw=?=

      21st Mar 2007
Hi,

i want to know how much data the Access can handle. I have a 2 GB flat file
with which i want to do some manipulation of data and put it in to different
Access Tables. I wan to know how much time it will take for Access to import
the 2 GB flat file to a dummy table and do some manipulation and using some
queries (ETL) store it in other 2-3 tables.

Also, is any template is available for estimating the time and cost for
doing Access Projects?

Many thanks,
Sunil

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUtSS1N?=

      21st Mar 2007
Press F1 and search on "Specifications"

You will get this (plus lots more info)

Number of objects in a database 32,768
Modules (including forms and reports with the HasModule property set to
True) 1,000
Number of characters in an object name 64
Number of characters in a password 14
Number of characters in a user name or group name 20
Number of concurrent users 255

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Sunil" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i want to know how much data the Access can handle. I have a 2 GB flat file
> with which i want to do some manipulation of data and put it in to different
> Access Tables. I wan to know how much time it will take for Access to import
> the 2 GB flat file to a dummy table and do some manipulation and using some
> queries (ETL) store it in other 2-3 tables.
>
> Also, is any template is available for estimating the time and cost for
> doing Access Projects?
>
> Many thanks,
> Sunil

=?Utf-8?B?c2N1YmFkaXZlcg==?=

      21st Mar 2007

I believe it is 2GB of memory but the amount of data depends on the size,
number tables, fields, size of fields etc etc.

"Sunil" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i want to know how much data the Access can handle. I have a 2 GB flat file
> with which i want to do some manipulation of data and put it in to different
> Access Tables. I wan to know how much time it will take for Access to import
> the 2 GB flat file to a dummy table and do some manipulation and using some
> queries (ETL) store it in other 2-3 tables.
>
> Also, is any template is available for estimating the time and cost for
> doing Access Projects?
>
> Many thanks,
> Sunil

=?Utf-8?B?U3VuaWw=?=

      21st Mar 2007
Ok. This info is useful for me. Also i need to know how much time it will
take to import from a 2 GB flat file to a access table?

"scubadiver" wrote:

> I believe it is 2GB of memory but the amount of data depends on the size,
> number tables, fields, size of fields etc etc.
>

> "Sunil" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > i want to know how much data the Access can handle. I have a 2 GB flat file
> > with which i want to do some manipulation of data and put it in to different
> > Access Tables. I wan to know how much time it will take for Access to import
> > the 2 GB flat file to a dummy table and do some manipulation and using some
> > queries (ETL) store it in other 2-3 tables.
> >
> > Also, is any template is available for estimating the time and cost for
> > doing Access Projects?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Sunil

Albert D. Kallal

      21st Mar 2007
I somewhat doubt that 2 gigs of data will fit in a access file.

access needs some extra working room...especially if you plan to have any
indexes etc.....

I would be hesitate if the file was 1 gig in size.......

it is possible that your flat file has an enormous amount of blank spaces.
(ms-access does NOT store those).

So, you might have some success here..but, the numbers you have are too
close to the limits of access....

If you "many", or much of your data is padded with blank characters (ie:
this is a fixed width file, not a text file with padding removed), then you
likely can try this....

If the data is not fixed length, and fields are not padded..then you not
going anywhere with using ms-access in this case...

I would suggest perhaps splitting up the data into 500 meg chunks (that
would be 4 of them)......

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

=?Utf-8?B?U3VuaWw=?=

      21st Mar 2007
Thanks Albert. i have ome more quick question. in access help i read that the
table size can be 2 GB max. i want to confirm whether its table size or mdb
size? Bcoz i read in another post that the 2GB max is for mdb. so am in a
diellama :-(

also is it possible for you to tell us how much time it will take to import
2 GB flat file data (without any null) and with 10 colums (assume comma
separeted file) in to a single table.

assume a conditon with perfect flat file of size 2Gb, whether access table
will store those records?

Once again many thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Sunil

"Albert D. Kallal" wrote:

> I somewhat doubt that 2 gigs of data will fit in a access file.
>
> access needs some extra working room...especially if you plan to have any
> indexes etc.....
>
> I would be hesitate if the file was 1 gig in size.......
>
> it is possible that your flat file has an enormous amount of blank spaces.
> (ms-access does NOT store those).
>
> So, you might have some success here..but, the numbers you have are too
> close to the limits of access....
>
> If you "many", or much of your data is padded with blank characters (ie:
> this is a fixed width file, not a text file with padding removed), then you
> likely can try this....
>
> If the data is not fixed length, and fields are not padded..then you not
> going anywhere with using ms-access in this case...
>
> I would suggest perhaps splitting up the data into 500 meg chunks (that
> would be 4 of them)......
>

> --
> Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> (E-Mail Removed)

Douglas J. Steele

      21st Mar 2007
The 2 Gb limit is on the MDB file.

Like Albert, I doubt very much that you'll be able to import a 2 Gb file
into an MDB.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Sunil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Albert. i have ome more quick question. in access help i read that
> the
> table size can be 2 GB max. i want to confirm whether its table size or
> mdb
> size? Bcoz i read in another post that the 2GB max is for mdb. so am in a
> diellama :-(
>
> also is it possible for you to tell us how much time it will take to
> import
> 2 GB flat file data (without any null) and with 10 colums (assume comma
> separeted file) in to a single table.
>
> assume a conditon with perfect flat file of size 2Gb, whether access table
> will store those records?
>
> Once again many thanks for your help.
>
> Thanks,
> Sunil
>
> "Albert D. Kallal" wrote:
>
>> I somewhat doubt that 2 gigs of data will fit in a access file.
>>
>> access needs some extra working room...especially if you plan to have any
>> indexes etc.....
>>
>> I would be hesitate if the file was 1 gig in size.......
>>
>> it is possible that your flat file has an enormous amount of blank
>> spaces.
>> (ms-access does NOT store those).
>>
>> So, you might have some success here..but, the numbers you have are too
>> close to the limits of access....
>>
>> If you "many", or much of your data is padded with blank characters (ie:
>> this is a fixed width file, not a text file with padding removed), then
>> you
>> likely can try this....
>>
>> If the data is not fixed length, and fields are not padded..then you not
>> going anywhere with using ms-access in this case...
>>
>> I would suggest perhaps splitting up the data into 500 meg chunks (that
>> would be 4 of them)......
>>

>> --
>> Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
>> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
>> (E-Mail Removed)

=?Utf-8?B?SmFjayBKZW5uaW5ncw==?=

      21st Mar 2007
I have an .mdb which has been adding 25Meg flat files each month since
200606, so is now up to 200Meg. The first 6 months it took under 1 min. The
last two months I noticed it takes longer to add the 25 Meg chunks (1-3
mins). By extrapolation and assuming load time/Meg increases with size, I
would estimate no less than 12mins/100Meg * 20 = 4 hours.

"Sunil" wrote:

> Thanks Albert. i have ome more quick question. in access help i read that the
> table size can be 2 GB max. i want to confirm whether its table size or mdb
> size? Bcoz i read in another post that the 2GB max is for mdb. so am in a
> diellama :-(
>
> also is it possible for you to tell us how much time it will take to import
> 2 GB flat file data (without any null) and with 10 colums (assume comma
> separeted file) in to a single table.
>
> assume a conditon with perfect flat file of size 2Gb, whether access table
> will store those records?
>
> Once again many thanks for your help.
>
> Thanks,
> Sunil
>
> "Albert D. Kallal" wrote:
>
> > I somewhat doubt that 2 gigs of data will fit in a access file.
> >
> > access needs some extra working room...especially if you plan to have any
> > indexes etc.....
> >
> > I would be hesitate if the file was 1 gig in size.......
> >
> > it is possible that your flat file has an enormous amount of blank spaces.
> > (ms-access does NOT store those).
> >
> > So, you might have some success here..but, the numbers you have are too
> > close to the limits of access....
> >
> > If you "many", or much of your data is padded with blank characters (ie:
> > this is a fixed width file, not a text file with padding removed), then you
> > likely can try this....
> >
> > If the data is not fixed length, and fields are not padded..then you not
> > going anywhere with using ms-access in this case...
> >
> > I would suggest perhaps splitting up the data into 500 meg chunks (that
> > would be 4 of them)......
> >

> > --
> > Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
> > Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> > (E-Mail Removed)

=?Utf-8?Q?Vladim=C3=ADr_Cvajniga?=

      21st Mar 2007
You' better try MySQL since MDB can't handle more than 2GB...
unfortunatelly. In this modern era I'd expect 20 GB, at least.

Vlado

"Sunil" <(E-Mail Removed)> p*še v diskusn*m př*spěvku
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> i want to know how much data the Access can handle. I have a 2 GB flat
> file
> with which i want to do some manipulation of data and put it in to
> different
> Access Tables. I wan to know how much time it will take for Access to
> import
> the 2 GB flat file to a dummy table and do some manipulation and using
> some
> queries (ETL) store it in other 2-3 tables.
>
> Also, is any template is available for estimating the time and cost for
> doing Access Projects?
>
> Many thanks,
> Sunil

George Hepworth

      21st Mar 2007
Estimating how long it might take to import the file is hard to do for a lot
of reasons, including the fact that your computer and network capabilities
play a role.

Beyond that, you indicate your want to import the file and then so some
manipulation. The nature of that manipulation is also a determining factor
in how long it will take. Not knowing what you have in mind there, no one
could give you any reasonable guess.

At the risk of sounding facetious, therefore, I would guess it's going to be
more than a few seconds, and less than a few days.

--
George Hepworth
2007 Access MVP