MTP Porting Kit / Creative Zen V Plus

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBIYW5ub3R0ZSAoaHR0cDovL3d3dy5oYW5u

      1st Nov 2006
Somebody bought me a new Zen V Plus player from Creative, but
unfortunately I'm using Windows 2000, which is not officially supported. I
probably won't upgrade my OS for a few more years because I'm very concerned
about stability. In the meantime, I'd like to use the Zen in some way. Even
if I can't load all the supporting utility software from the accompanying CD,
there should be some way for me to be able to just copy files from my hard
disk to the Zen's file system and play them. That in itself would be a
quantum leap over having no MP3 player at all.

However, the V Plus does not look like a little hard disk to Windows, so
I can't use Explorer to copy the files. As far as I have been able to learn,
the V Plus uses flash memory and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which is
supported in Windows Media Player 10 (which is only supported under Windows
XP).

HOWEVER ... Microsoft recently released a Media Transfer Protocol Porting
Kit -- see http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsmed...s/default.aspx --
to add MTP support to WMPlayer 9, the last one that worked under Windows
2000. But it's not easy to set up. After installing it and reading the
Readme-Redist.txt file, you run MTP9x-2k.exe, which installs the following
files:

- %windir%/System32/drivers
- wpdusb9x.sys (Windows 98SE or Windows ME)
OR wpdusb.sys (Windows 2000)
- %windir%/System32
- mtpiusb.dll
- mtpsmgr.exe
- mtpistb.dll
- mtpsp.dll
- %windir%/Inf
- wpdmtp.inf

But then you have to edit a .inf file to describe the attributes of your
player. This is beyond my technical ability. So ...

1) Am I right to think that I can get basic MP3 player use from the V
Plus just by installing the MTP Porting Kit, or do I really need to upgrade
to Windows XP?

2) If the Porting Kit will work, can anybody help me write a .inf file
that will be correct for the V Plus? I'd really by happy with just minimal
functionality.

Thanks for your help!

chris1379

      26th Dec 2006
I'm facing the same problem here. Did you ever get it to work?

Chris

Dean Hannotte (http://www.hannotte.net/ http://www.hannotte.net/)
wrote:
> Somebody bought me a new Zen V Plus player from Creative, but
> unfortunately I'm using Windows 2000, which is not officially supported. I
> probably won't upgrade my OS for a few more years because I'm very concerned
> about stability. In the meantime, I'd like to use the Zen in some way. Even
> if I can't load all the supporting utility software from the accompanying CD,
> there should be some way for me to be able to just copy files from my hard
> disk to the Zen's file system and play them. That in itself would be a
> quantum leap over having no MP3 player at all.
>
> However, the V Plus does not look like a little hard disk to Windows, so
> I can't use Explorer to copy the files. As far as I have been able to learn,
> the V Plus uses flash memory and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which is
> supported in Windows Media Player 10 (which is only supported under Windows
> XP).
>
> HOWEVER ... Microsoft recently released a Media Transfer Protocol Porting
> Kit -- see http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsmed...s/default.aspx --
> to add MTP support to WMPlayer 9, the last one that worked under Windows
> 2000. But it's not easy to set up. After installing it and reading the
> Readme-Redist.txt file, you run MTP9x-2k.exe, which installs the following
> files:
>
> - %windir%/System32/drivers
> - wpdusb9x.sys (Windows 98SE or Windows ME)
> OR wpdusb.sys (Windows 2000)
> - %windir%/System32
> - mtpiusb.dll
> - mtpsmgr.exe
> - mtpistb.dll
> - mtpsp.dll
> - %windir%/Inf
> - wpdmtp.inf
>
> But then you have to edit a .inf file to describe the attributes of your
> player. This is beyond my technical ability. So ...
>
> 1) Am I right to think that I can get basic MP3 player use from the V
> Plus just by installing the MTP Porting Kit, or do I really need to upgrade
> to Windows XP?
>
> 2) If the Porting Kit will work, can anybody help me write a .inf file
> that will be correct for the V Plus? I'd really by happy with just minimal
> functionality.
>
> Thanks for your help!

gjhills@hotmail.co.uk

      30th Dec 2006
Hi People,

I got this solution off creative's message board by The_Smurf
http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=2

Here is the easiest solution for Windows 2000:

1. Download my own drivers with support for Zen V & Zen V Plus
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...le=5410MTP.zip
2. Unpack & Install MTP9x-2k.EXE
3. Choose ctpdmtp.inf & click right mouse button & select Install
4. Restart Windows
5. When Windows has booted up again plug your ZEN V in to a USB port,
if it askes for a driver please refer it to the ctpdmtp.inf file. (If
it doesn't ask for the drivers, start Add/Remove Hardware from Control
Panel and detect new hardware)
6. Download & install MediaMonkey
http://www.mediamonkey.com/download.htm
7. Now Zen V should work fine! It should appear as Creative Zen V or
Creative Zen V Plus in MediaMonkey after a few seconds.

I tried this for a friend and it works fine... but you still can't see
the Zen V as an external drive in an explorer window. You have to use
MediaMonkey to transfer files to your Zen.

wrote:
> Somebody bought me a new Zen V Plus player from Creative, but
> unfortunately I'm using Windows 2000, which is not officially supported. I
> probably won't upgrade my OS for a few more years because I'm very concerned
> about stability. In the meantime, I'd like to use the Zen in some way. Even
> if I can't load all the supporting utility software from the accompanying CD,
> there should be some way for me to be able to just copy files from my hard
> disk to the Zen's file system and play them. That in itself would be a
> quantum leap over having no MP3 player at all.
>
> However, the V Plus does not look like a little hard disk to Windows, so
> I can't use Explorer to copy the files. As far as I have been able to learn,
> the V Plus uses flash memory and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which is
> supported in Windows Media Player 10 (which is only supported under Windows
> XP).
>
> HOWEVER ... Microsoft recently released a Media Transfer Protocol Porting
> Kit -- see http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsmed...s/default.aspx --
> to add MTP support to WMPlayer 9, the last one that worked under Windows
> 2000. But it's not easy to set up. After installing it and reading the
> Readme-Redist.txt file, you run MTP9x-2k.exe, which installs the following
> files:
>
> - %windir%/System32/drivers
> - wpdusb9x.sys (Windows 98SE or Windows ME)
> OR wpdusb.sys (Windows 2000)
> - %windir%/System32
> - mtpiusb.dll
> - mtpsmgr.exe
> - mtpistb.dll
> - mtpsp.dll
> - %windir%/Inf
> - wpdmtp.inf
>
> But then you have to edit a .inf file to describe the attributes of your
> player. This is beyond my technical ability. So ...
>
> 1) Am I right to think that I can get basic MP3 player use from the V
> Plus just by installing the MTP Porting Kit, or do I really need to upgrade
> to Windows XP?
>
> 2) If the Porting Kit will work, can anybody help me write a .inf file
> that will be correct for the V Plus? I'd really by happy with just minimal
> functionality.
>
> Thanks for your help!

chris1379

      1st Jan 2007

Thanks a bunch! I still don't have it working yet under Win98SE but it
has to be possible. I sent Smurf a reply over in the Creative forum. If
anyone else is trying to get a Zen V working in Win98, feel free to
chime in.

Chris

tetong

      8th Feb 2007

"chris1379" <(E-Mail Removed)>
??????:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm facing the same problem here. Did you ever get it to work?
>
> Chris
>
> Dean Hannotte (http://www.hannotte.net/ http://www.hannotte.net/)
> wrote:
> > Somebody bought me a new Zen V Plus player from Creative, but
> > unfortunately I'm using Windows 2000, which is not officially supported.

> > probably won't upgrade my OS for a few more years because I'm very

concerned
> > about stability. In the meantime, I'd like to use the Zen in some way.

Even
> > if I can't load all the supporting utility software from the

accompanying CD,
> > there should be some way for me to be able to just copy files from my

hard
> > disk to the Zen's file system and play them. That in itself would be a
> > quantum leap over having no MP3 player at all.
> >
> > However, the V Plus does not look like a little hard disk to Windows,

so
> > I can't use Explorer to copy the files. As far as I have been able to

learn,
> > the V Plus uses flash memory and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which is
> > supported in Windows Media Player 10 (which is only supported under

Windows
> > XP).
> >
> > HOWEVER ... Microsoft recently released a Media Transfer Protocol

Porting
> > Kit -- see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsmed...s/default.aspx --
> > to add MTP support to WMPlayer 9, the last one that worked under Windows
> > 2000. But it's not easy to set up. After installing it and reading the
> > Readme-Redist.txt file, you run MTP9x-2k.exe, which installs the

following
> > files:
> >
> > - %windir%/System32/drivers
> > - wpdusb9x.sys (Windows 98SE or Windows ME)
> > OR wpdusb.sys (Windows 2000)
> > - %windir%/System32
> > - mtpiusb.dll
> > - mtpsmgr.exe
> > - mtpistb.dll
> > - mtpsp.dll
> > - %windir%/Inf
> > - wpdmtp.inf
> >
> > But then you have to edit a .inf file to describe the attributes of

your
> > player. This is beyond my technical ability. So ...
> >
> > 1) Am I right to think that I can get basic MP3 player use from the V
> > Plus just by installing the MTP Porting Kit, or do I really need to

upgrade
> > to Windows XP?
> >
> > 2) If the Porting Kit will work, can anybody help me write a .inf

file
> > that will be correct for the V Plus? I'd really by happy with just

minimal
> > functionality.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!

tetong

      8th Feb 2007

"chris1379" <(E-Mail Removed)>
??????:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm facing the same problem here. Did you ever get it to work?
>
> Chris
>
> Dean Hannotte (http://www.hannotte.net/ http://www.hannotte.net/)
> wrote:
> > Somebody bought me a new Zen V Plus player from Creative, but
> > unfortunately I'm using Windows 2000, which is not officially supported.

> > probably won't upgrade my OS for a few more years because I'm very

concerned
> > about stability. In the meantime, I'd like to use the Zen in some way.

Even
> > if I can't load all the supporting utility software from the

accompanying CD,
> > there should be some way for me to be able to just copy files from my

hard
> > disk to the Zen's file system and play them. That in itself would be a
> > quantum leap over having no MP3 player at all.
> >
> > However, the V Plus does not look like a little hard disk to Windows,

so
> > I can't use Explorer to copy the files. As far as I have been able to

learn,
> > the V Plus uses flash memory and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which is
> > supported in Windows Media Player 10 (which is only supported under

Windows
> > XP).
> >
> > HOWEVER ... Microsoft recently released a Media Transfer Protocol

Porting
> > Kit -- see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsmed...s/default.aspx --
> > to add MTP support to WMPlayer 9, the last one that worked under Windows
> > 2000. But it's not easy to set up. After installing it and reading the
> > Readme-Redist.txt file, you run MTP9x-2k.exe, which installs the

following
> > files:
> >
> > - %windir%/System32/drivers
> > - wpdusb9x.sys (Windows 98SE or Windows ME)
> > OR wpdusb.sys (Windows 2000)
> > - %windir%/System32
> > - mtpiusb.dll
> > - mtpsmgr.exe
> > - mtpistb.dll
> > - mtpsp.dll
> > - %windir%/Inf
> > - wpdmtp.inf
> >
> > But then you have to edit a .inf file to describe the attributes of

your
> > player. This is beyond my technical ability. So ...
> >
> > 1) Am I right to think that I can get basic MP3 player use from the V
> > Plus just by installing the MTP Porting Kit, or do I really need to

upgrade
> > to Windows XP?
> >
> > 2) If the Porting Kit will work, can anybody help me write a .inf

file
> > that will be correct for the V Plus? I'd really by happy with just

minimal
> > functionality.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!

=?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=

      6th Jul 2007
I have not been able to download pictures from my Canon Powershot SD1000 to
my Dell laptop running Vista Home Premium. The problem seems to be in the
Windows PTP driver, specifically the WpdUsb.sys driver. When I log into
msconfig, the tools tab confirms that WpdUsb driver is not started; and
instead, has stopped.

I cannot make Device Manager enable this driver.

Suggestions?
Thanks,
Tim

"Dean Hannotte (http://www.hannotte.net/)" wrote:

> Somebody bought me a new Zen V Plus player from Creative, but
> unfortunately I'm using Windows 2000, which is not officially supported. I
> probably won't upgrade my OS for a few more years because I'm very concerned
> about stability. In the meantime, I'd like to use the Zen in some way. Even
> if I can't load all the supporting utility software from the accompanying CD,
> there should be some way for me to be able to just copy files from my hard
> disk to the Zen's file system and play them. That in itself would be a
> quantum leap over having no MP3 player at all.
>
> However, the V Plus does not look like a little hard disk to Windows, so
> I can't use Explorer to copy the files. As far as I have been able to learn,
> the V Plus uses flash memory and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which is
> supported in Windows Media Player 10 (which is only supported under Windows
> XP).
>
> HOWEVER ... Microsoft recently released a Media Transfer Protocol Porting
> Kit -- see http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsmed...s/default.aspx --
> to add MTP support to WMPlayer 9, the last one that worked under Windows
> 2000. But it's not easy to set up. After installing it and reading the
> Readme-Redist.txt file, you run MTP9x-2k.exe, which installs the following
> files:
>
> - %windir%/System32/drivers
> - wpdusb9x.sys (Windows 98SE or Windows ME)
> OR wpdusb.sys (Windows 2000)
> - %windir%/System32
> - mtpiusb.dll
> - mtpsmgr.exe
> - mtpistb.dll
> - mtpsp.dll
> - %windir%/Inf
> - wpdmtp.inf
>
> But then you have to edit a .inf file to describe the attributes of your
> player. This is beyond my technical ability. So ...
>
> 1) Am I right to think that I can get basic MP3 player use from the V
> Plus just by installing the MTP Porting Kit, or do I really need to upgrade
> to Windows XP?
>
> 2) If the Porting Kit will work, can anybody help me write a .inf file
> that will be correct for the V Plus? I'd really by happy with just minimal
> functionality.
>
> Thanks for your help!

adid4s

      5th Feb 2008
For those who have came across the following instructions but still have
problems getting your Zen V Plus to work on Windows 2k I may have some help

here are the instructions,

---from Creative forum---

[...]

---from Creative Forum---

OK In step 5 where it explains, "if it askes for a driver please refer it to
the ctpdmtp.inf file", easiest way to do this is to FIRST put the
ctpdmtp.inf into the folder "C:\WINNT\system32" ( because otherwise you'll
have issues getting the installation to recognize the file. ... so to make
things a whole lot easier just put the ctpdmtp.inf into system32 before you
begin step 5 =)

any questions about this i'll be happy to anwser

Barry

      7th Feb 2008
Thanks guys, this has been very helpful, as I am in the same boat do not
choose to upgrade, quite happy with win2000. I bought this from Ecost.com
and the write up said it needed no software or drivers, assuming it was just
like another flash, I bought it. Well you know the rest.

Everything but MediaMonkey worked for me, I can't figure out how to get
files from the computer to the portable device. Send to?? In any event
after playing a long time I did some further research and found that once the
driver is loaded windows media player 9x will actually put files on the Zen
V. It isn't very pretty but it does work, that is all I really want is for
it to work. So some advice for those that can't get the mediamonkey to work,
windows media player might work for you.

Mediamonkey looks like it will do much more, if someone can tell me how to
use it. I did spend some time with the help file but got little from it.

Thanks,
Barry

Bob

      25th Jun 2008
Hi
I just saw your post (see below) - I know its really old info but...
Could you tell me if you think your drivers will work on my Win2K laptop
using a Creative Zen Stone 1GB as opposed to a Zen V?