Msconfig Services and Startup Entries

RonH

      24th Sep 2008
Is there such a thing as a list of which Services Entires and Startup Entries
should be checked (turned on) in Msconfig at startup. My list continues to
grow as products are added or updated -- I just can't believe that all of
these items are necessary for efficient and effective use.

I am running XP with SP3 installed

nass

      24th Sep 2008

"RonH" wrote:

> Is there such a thing as a list of which Services Entires and Startup Entries
> should be checked (turned on) in Msconfig at startup. My list continues to
> grow as products are added or updated -- I just can't believe that all of
> these items are necessary for efficient and effective use.
>
> I am running XP with SP3 installed

Take control of your Windows start-up
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835638
How to speed your PC:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm
Startup list:

HTH,
nass
----
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

David B.

      24th Sep 2008
There is no all encompassing list, every computer is different and will have
different entries, even with identically set up PC's the list of what's
needed can vary depending on the user and what they want. You'll have to
research each entry and decide if you need it or not, they are probably many
you can do without.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"RonH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there such a thing as a list of which Services Entires and Startup
> Entries
> should be checked (turned on) in Msconfig at startup. My list continues
> grow as products are added or updated -- I just can't believe that all of
> these items are necessary for efficient and effective use.
>
> I am running XP with SP3 installed

Leonard Grey

      24th Sep 2008
"My list continues to grow as products are added or updated --"
That's not unusual at all. That's what you should expect to happen when
you install software.

"I just can't believe that all of these items are necessary for
efficient and effective use."
Why? And how do you know whether these items affect the "efficient and
effective use" of your computer?

The best thing for you to do is to research each item with a web search
and learn how it got there and what it's for. That's what we do. Then
you can make an informed judgment.

Of course, there are also many 'quick and easy' fixes that you will come
across. Caveat emptor.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine