A MS update (KB888111) won't uninstall

RobF

      19th Nov 2008
This posted yesterday didn't show up in OE or in Google groups web site or
Thunderbird. Trying again:

Win XP Home. Trying to remove completely the Asus on board sound system by
RealTek. The subject update installs a package for High Definition Audio
driver. Device manager describes the item under Other Devices (with yellow Q
mark) as audio device onHi Def audio bus. This KB888111 update, not
removeable in Add/Remove, is apparently connected with the RealTek sound
system, which I had hoped was completely ripped out to make way for a sound
card, just installed, with a versatile suite of functions.
Trouble is, the "new hardware found" wizard keeps popping on screen with
each boot up. I have taken realtek completely out of registry. Not any other
trace of it can I find. Am at a loss as to how to end this Wizard annoyance.
Add/Remove responds to the remove command with...unable to...may be package
already deleted...
Meanwhile, no problems with new sound system.
There is much at MS web sites on KB888111, but am not having success in
understanding how to disappear it.
Suggestions much appreciated.

--
RobF
Address anti-spammed

Paul

      19th Nov 2008
RobF wrote:
> This posted yesterday didn't show up in OE or in Google groups web site or
> Thunderbird. Trying again:
>
> Win XP Home. Trying to remove completely the Asus on board sound system by
> RealTek. The subject update installs a package for High Definition Audio
> driver. Device manager describes the item under Other Devices (with yellow Q
> mark) as audio device onHi Def audio bus. This KB888111 update, not
> removeable in Add/Remove, is apparently connected with the RealTek sound
> system, which I had hoped was completely ripped out to make way for a sound
> card, just installed, with a versatile suite of functions.
> Trouble is, the "new hardware found" wizard keeps popping on screen with
> each boot up. I have taken realtek completely out of registry. Not any other
> trace of it can I find. Am at a loss as to how to end this Wizard annoyance.
> Add/Remove responds to the remove command with...unable to...may be package
> already deleted...
> Meanwhile, no problems with new sound system.
> There is much at MS web sites on KB888111, but am not having success in
> understanding how to disappear it.
> Suggestions much appreciated.

Disable RealTek in the BIOS ?

Paul

RobF

      20th Nov 2008

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:gg1uj8$1o5$(E-Mail Removed)...
| RobF wrote:
| > This posted yesterday didn't show up in OE or in Google groups web site
or
| > Thunderbird. Trying again:
| >
| > Win XP Home. Trying to remove completely the Asus on board sound system
by
| > RealTek. The subject update installs a package for High Definition Audio
| > driver. Device manager describes the item under Other Devices (with
yellow Q
| > mark) as audio device onHi Def audio bus. This KB888111 update, not
| > removeable in Add/Remove, is apparently connected with the RealTek sound
| > system, which I had hoped was completely ripped out to make way for a
sound
| > card, just installed, with a versatile suite of functions.
| > Trouble is, the "new hardware found" wizard keeps popping on screen with
| > each boot up. I have taken realtek completely out of registry. Not any
other
| > trace of it can I find. Am at a loss as to how to end this Wizard
annoyance.
| > Add/Remove responds to the remove command with...unable to...may be
package
| > already deleted...
| > Meanwhile, no problems with new sound system.
| > There is much at MS web sites on KB888111, but am not having success in
| > understanding how to disappear it.
| > Suggestions much appreciated.
| >

| Disable RealTek in the BIOS ?
|
| Paul

Tried to do that, Paul, but can't find an audio entry in BIOS. Not there.
Installed from CD; no enable required. Asus has fixed its contact system so
that contact is impossible. Ingenious. Easy to find a LAN. for instance, not
audio. Appreciate your input.
--
RobF
Address anti-spammed

Paul

      20th Nov 2008
RobF wrote:

> | Disable RealTek in the BIOS ?
> |
> | Paul
>
> Tried to do that, Paul, but can't find an audio entry in BIOS. Not there.
> Installed from CD; no enable required. Asus has fixed its contact system so
> that contact is impossible. Ingenious. Easy to find a LAN. for instance, not
> audio. Appreciate your input.

Doing a search on your user ID, you posted a query about Asus M2V on
Oct30,2008. Opening my cached copy of M2V, I see in Section
4.4.5 "Onboard Device Configuration", that the first item

HD Auto Controller [Disabled]

controls audio. Yes, that is an incorrect spelling in the
manual. It is supposed to be "HD Audio". That would be
the interface to your ALC660 that you want to disable.

Paul

RobF

      20th Nov 2008

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:gg4647$229$(E-Mail Removed)...
| RobF wrote:
| > |
| > | Disable RealTek in the BIOS ?
| > |
| > | Paul
| >
| > Tried to do that, Paul, but can't find an audio entry in BIOS. Not
there.
| > Installed from CD; no enable required. Asus has fixed its contact system
so
| > that contact is impossible. Ingenious. Easy to find a LAN. for instance,
not
| > audio. Appreciate your input.
|
| Doing a search on your user ID, you posted a query about Asus M2V on
| Oct30,2008. Opening my cached copy of M2V, I see in Section
| 4.4.5 "Onboard Device Configuration", that the first item
|
| HD Auto Controller [Disabled]
|
| controls audio. Yes, that is an incorrect spelling in the
| manual. It is supposed to be "HD Audio". That would be
| the interface to your ALC660 that you want to disable.
|
| Paul

Many thanks, Paul. When I (many times, reading manual) saw HD Auto
Controller, directly above the LAN option I mentioned earlier, my attention
became mugged and robbed of sense, and I skipped along, thus missing the
smaller type that states plainly enough HighDef *Audio* etc. And HD in the
bold type would not mean Hard Drive.
Very good of you to take the trouble to look up my Asus model number and
find (pardon the caps) THE answer in the board's manual.

--
RobF
Address anti-spammed