MS no-frills security scanner gets thumbs up in early tests

Randy Knobloch

      25th Jun 2009
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/24/ms_morro_review/>

--
Randy
<http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

Stu

      25th Jun 2009
First indications are that it is more than a mere security scanner. More like
a security engulfer! Common MS give us a break! Its one thing to indulge
yourself in the AS/AV market but give people the choice rather than impose an
application to the expense of all others on account of a failed One Care
project.

Stu

"Randy Knobloch" wrote:

> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/24/ms_morro_review/>
>

> --
> Randy
> <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

robinb

      25th Jun 2009
I am not that thrilled with it
I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't do an
automatic update like the other av programs do

this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and when
checking MSE it still had the old update

This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep checking
it for updates
robin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

robinb wrote:
>I am not that thrilled with it
> I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't do an
> automatic update like the other av programs do
>
> this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and when
> checking MSE it still had the old update
>
> This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep checking
> it for updates

"How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971606>

Good luck, Robin !

--
Randy
<http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

robinb

      25th Jun 2009
I do not want to manually update them- I want the program to update them
automatically! period!
I could go in and click update and it would do it but no one is going to
remember to do that every day
I started a thread on the forum to see who agrees with me
if you go on the beta forum you will see me all over the place :P
robin

"Randy Knobloch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> robinb wrote:
>>I am not that thrilled with it
>> I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't do
>> an
>> automatic update like the other av programs do
>>
>> this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and
>> when
>> checking MSE it still had the old update
>>
>> This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep
>> checking
>> it for updates

> "How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft
> Security Essentials"
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971606>
>
> Good luck, Robin !
>

> --
> Randy
> <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

Don Carlson

      25th Jun 2009
Robin,

"I do not want to manually update them"

There is one choice that you have. I don't need to do "Full" system scans
being that it checks things in "real time". Being that I have already done
the "Full" system scan at install I now have it set to "Quick" scan. In the
"settings" tab you can set it when to scan so I have it set at a time when I
am usually not doing something or late at night before I turn it off and
"check" the tab that states "Check for the latest virus & spyware
definitions before running scheduled scan".

Once I figure out when the usually have the new ones posted I can change the
scheduled scan around this.

This is what I do to make this update without manually doing it.

--
Don
"robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I do not want to manually update them- I want the program to update them
automatically! period!
I could go in and click update and it would do it but no one is going to
remember to do that every day
I started a thread on the forum to see who agrees with me
if you go on the beta forum you will see me all over the place :P
robin

"Randy Knobloch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> robinb wrote:
>>I am not that thrilled with it
>> I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't do
>> an
>> automatic update like the other av programs do
>>
>> this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and
>> when
>> checking MSE it still had the old update
>>
>> This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep
>> checking
>> it for updates

> "How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft
> Security Essentials"
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971606>
>
> Good luck, Robin !
>

> --
> Randy
> <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

robinb

      25th Jun 2009
I have that checked but I have it doing a scan once a week
I am wondering if you have to have it scan daily to force the update
which is not a good thing if you only want it to do a scan weekly
robin

"Don Carlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robin,
>
> "I do not want to manually update them"
>
> There is one choice that you have. I don't need to do "Full" system scans
> being that it checks things in "real time". Being that I have already done
> the "Full" system scan at install I now have it set to "Quick" scan. In
> the
> "settings" tab you can set it when to scan so I have it set at a time when
> am usually not doing something or late at night before I turn it off and
> "check" the tab that states "Check for the latest virus & spyware
> definitions before running scheduled scan".
>
> Once I figure out when the usually have the new ones posted I can change
> the
> scheduled scan around this.
>
> This is what I do to make this update without manually doing it.
>
> --
> Don
> "robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I do not want to manually update them- I want the program to update them
> automatically! period!
> I could go in and click update and it would do it but no one is going to
> remember to do that every day
> I started a thread on the forum to see who agrees with me
> if you go on the beta forum you will see me all over the place :P
> robin
>
> "Randy Knobloch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> robinb wrote:
>>>I am not that thrilled with it
>>> I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't
>>> do
>>> an
>>> automatic update like the other av programs do
>>>
>>> this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and
>>> when
>>> checking MSE it still had the old update
>>>
>>> This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep
>>> checking
>>> it for updates

>> "How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft
>> Security Essentials"
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971606>
>>
>> Good luck, Robin !
>>

>> --
>> Randy
>> <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

Don Carlson

      25th Jun 2009
Maybe you should post a suggestion to have it do the updates automatically
as a suggestion in the Feedback area?

--
Don
"robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23kU$(E-Mail Removed)...
I have that checked but I have it doing a scan once a week
I am wondering if you have to have it scan daily to force the update
which is not a good thing if you only want it to do a scan weekly
robin

"Don Carlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robin,
>
> "I do not want to manually update them"
>
> There is one choice that you have. I don't need to do "Full" system scans
> being that it checks things in "real time". Being that I have already done
> the "Full" system scan at install I now have it set to "Quick" scan. In
> the
> "settings" tab you can set it when to scan so I have it set at a time when
> am usually not doing something or late at night before I turn it off and
> "check" the tab that states "Check for the latest virus & spyware
> definitions before running scheduled scan".
>
> Once I figure out when the usually have the new ones posted I can change
> the
> scheduled scan around this.
>
> This is what I do to make this update without manually doing it.
>
> --
> Don
> "robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I do not want to manually update them- I want the program to update them
> automatically! period!
> I could go in and click update and it would do it but no one is going to
> remember to do that every day
> I started a thread on the forum to see who agrees with me
> if you go on the beta forum you will see me all over the place :P
> robin
>
> "Randy Knobloch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> robinb wrote:
>>>I am not that thrilled with it
>>> I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't
>>> do
>>> an
>>> automatic update like the other av programs do
>>>
>>> this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and
>>> when
>>> checking MSE it still had the old update
>>>
>>> This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep
>>> checking
>>> it for updates

>> "How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft
>> Security Essentials"
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971606>
>>
>> Good luck, Robin !
>>

>> --
>> Randy
>> <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

Stephen Boots MVP-Windows Live

      25th Jun 2009
It does not rely on WU, it uses the same plumbing as WU. It checks for
updates and installs them automatically apart from your AU settings in
Windows.

-steve

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:17:36 -0400, "robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am not that thrilled with it
>I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't do an
>automatic update like the other av programs do
>
>this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and when
>checking MSE it still had the old update
>
>This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep checking
>it for updates
>robin
>
>"Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> First indications are that it is more than a mere security scanner. More
>> like
>> a security engulfer! Common MS give us a break! Its one thing to indulge
>> yourself in the AS/AV market but give people the choice rather than impose
>> an
>> application to the expense of all others on account of a failed One Care
>> project.
>>
>> Stu
>>
>> "Randy Knobloch" wrote:
>>
>>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/24/ms_morro_review/>
>>>

>>> --
>>> Randy
>>> <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

--
Stephen Boots
MVP-Windows Live
(E-Mail Removed)

robinb

      26th Jun 2009
I know that now but in xp sp3 it is not doing it
and I just posted feedback for it
robin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...