MS Excel Sheets...how to copy and paste one excel sheet into another?

tina SPEILBERG

      4th Aug 2003
I have Excel 97

How to merge 2 or more MS excel Sheets ?

MS Excel Sheets...how to copy and paste one excel sheet into another?

I've tried this like I would normally do with Notepad or Word and it
says:

The information cannot be pasted because the Copy area and the paste
area are not the same size and shape. Try one of the following:

..Click a single cell and then paste.
..Select a rectangle that's the same size and shape, and then paste.

I tried everything but I cannot do a simple cut and paste.

can anyone please help me

Thanks in advance,

Tina

Kim Mitchell

      4th Aug 2003
You are probably selecting the entire sheet to copy and then trying to paste
in the area below other data. When you copy an entire sheet, you are
copying 35,536 rows and 256 columns. When you paste, you are trying to
paste 35,536 rows below x number of rows creating 65,536 + x rows. Excel
only allows 65,536 rows. When you copy/cut your data, you should select
only the portion of the worksheet that has data. When you paste your data,
select only one cell. It you remain within Excel's row and column limits,
you should have no problem. HTH

Kim

"tina SPEILBERG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have Excel 97
>
> How to merge 2 or more MS excel Sheets ?
>
> MS Excel Sheets...how to copy and paste one excel sheet into another?
>
> I've tried this like I would normally do with Notepad or Word and it
> says:
>
> The information cannot be pasted because the Copy area and the paste
> area are not the same size and shape. Try one of the following:
>
> .Click a single cell and then paste.
> .Select a rectangle that's the same size and shape, and then paste.
>
> I tried everything but I cannot do a simple cut and paste.
>
> can anyone please help me
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tina

New Member

      9th May 2008
I received the exact same error as you listed in your post. The below "fix" will work when you are receiving the error - cells you are copying into are not the same size and shape.

To copy and paste from one Excel sheet into another:

If you are using Excel 2007 (and may work in '97, as well):

You could copy the cells from one worksheet to paste into another. However,how you select the cells is very important because it directly affects your copy options in the other worksheet. There are two main ways to select data/cells in Excel. Usually, you can highlight the row or column and drag to make your selection.However,for the error you are receiving, you need to make your selection based on individual cells (not entire rows or columns). To do this:

In the worksheet you want to copy from, click on the first cell of data you would like to copy (usually in the first row, the cell on the far left). Then, click SHIFT + the right arrow on your keyboard. Highlight the exact area you would like to copy, even if it is the entire worksheet, by using the SHIFT and your arrow keys on the keyboard. Once your entire selection is chosen, right click and choose "copy".

Go to the worksheet you want to paste into. You could paste into an existing spreadsheet or, since you want to copy an entire worksheet and especially if you have other spreadsheets in this document, you may need to insert a blank worksheet in this document first by clicking Insert, click "Worksheet".

Click in the first cell where you want your pasted data to show up (or start/begin).
Right click
Choose "Insert Copied Cells"
Select the option to "Shift Down" (helpful if there is information you want to keep viewed below your pasted cells)

If you are using earlier versions of Excel (like 97), you may be able to complete this in the same way as Excel 2003:
Select the cells to copy from
Right Click and select "Copy"
Go to the worksheet you want to copy your cells into (again, you could add a blank/new worksheet or paste into an existing worksheet).
Regular click one time in the first cell you want the data to appear
Then, right click
Choose "Insert Copied Cells"
You can choose to shift cells down (if there will be data underneath your inserted cells)

Jolene

Last edited by jpatey; 9th May 2008 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: addition of title and formatting