MS Excel Freeze panes based on selection does not work for me

Ken_Ohio

      18th Jan 2009
I am running Office 2007.
I am trying to freeze the top two rows in an Excel spreadsheet.
I highlight the top two rows and use "Freeze based on selection" option.

The app does not freeze the panes I have selected.
It freezes 11 rows down and 3 columns across (?????) even though it still
shows that I have the first two rows selected.

I tried just selecting two rows and five columns, which is where my titles
are, but the same results occur when I select the "Freeze based on selection"
option: 11 rows down and 3 columns across.

There doesn't seem to be any other way of doing this, or am I missing
something?
The option to freeze the top one row does work, but that is not what I need
to do.

Can anyone offer help with this?

Sincerely,
Ken

sherry

      18th Jan 2009
well, just for the heck of it, I clicked on row 3, held down shift, clicked
on freeze panes and clicked on freeze panes again and it worked! Good Luck!
--
sherry

"Ken_Ohio" wrote:

> I am running Office 2007.
> I am trying to freeze the top two rows in an Excel spreadsheet.
> I highlight the top two rows and use "Freeze based on selection" option.
>
> The app does not freeze the panes I have selected.
> It freezes 11 rows down and 3 columns across (?????) even though it still
> shows that I have the first two rows selected.
>
> I tried just selecting two rows and five columns, which is where my titles
> are, but the same results occur when I select the "Freeze based on selection"
> option: 11 rows down and 3 columns across.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any other way of doing this, or am I missing
> something?
> The option to freeze the top one row does work, but that is not what I need
> to do.
>
> Can anyone offer help with this?
>
> Sincerely,
> Ken

Gord Dibben

      18th Jan 2009
Select a single cell.

Anything left of or above that selected cell will be frozen.

F3 will freeze rows 1:2 and columns A:E

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 07:51:00 -0800, Ken_Ohio
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running Office 2007.
>I am trying to freeze the top two rows in an Excel spreadsheet.
>I highlight the top two rows and use "Freeze based on selection" option.
>
>The app does not freeze the panes I have selected.
>It freezes 11 rows down and 3 columns across (?????) even though it still
>shows that I have the first two rows selected.
>
>I tried just selecting two rows and five columns, which is where my titles
>are, but the same results occur when I select the "Freeze based on selection"
>option: 11 rows down and 3 columns across.
>
>There doesn't seem to be any other way of doing this, or am I missing
>something?
>The option to freeze the top one row does work, but that is not what I need
>to do.
>
>Can anyone offer help with this?
>
>Sincerely,
>Ken

Ken_Ohio

      18th Jan 2009
Sherry:

Thank you for your reply. (It did not work, but I appreciate the suggestion.)

I did figure out how to do it:
First, I selected the "Split" button, which is right next to the Freeze menu
option.
Next, I moved the split created by the program to where I wanted the page to
split.
Then, I selected the first "Freeze Panes" option: "Based on current
selection".

Ken

"sherry" wrote:

> well, just for the heck of it, I clicked on row 3, held down shift, clicked
> on freeze panes and clicked on freeze panes again and it worked! Good Luck!
> --
> sherry
>

> "Ken_Ohio" wrote:
>
> > I am running Office 2007.
> > I am trying to freeze the top two rows in an Excel spreadsheet.
> > I highlight the top two rows and use "Freeze based on selection" option.
> >
> > The app does not freeze the panes I have selected.
> > It freezes 11 rows down and 3 columns across (?????) even though it still
> > shows that I have the first two rows selected.
> >
> > I tried just selecting two rows and five columns, which is where my titles
> > are, but the same results occur when I select the "Freeze based on selection"
> > option: 11 rows down and 3 columns across.
> >
> > There doesn't seem to be any other way of doing this, or am I missing
> > something?
> > The option to freeze the top one row does work, but that is not what I need
> > to do.
> >
> > Can anyone offer help with this?
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Ken