Moving user profile from an old drive

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

      6th Mar 2006
Had a PC die, so it was replaced.

There were important files on the old PC, the user never backed up the files
to any other media. I installed the OLD drive in the NEW PC as an extra
drive. But can not get to the files saved under secured profiles. I know
the user names and passwords. But can not figure out how to log in to
authenticate to those users. I set the PC up with the same user name as the
old PC but obviously it did not work for the data on the OLD drive.

When I browse to the folder in my documents\profile my access is denied.

Is there some way I can pull the profiles off of the old drives so that they
are identical, then when I sign in everything would match up??

I tried creating a user on the new PC with the same rights and even password
as were on the old PC, same name, ect. Did not work. I also tried creating
an admin account on the new PC, still did not work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Malke

      6th Mar 2006
Rick wrote:

> Had a PC die, so it was replaced.
>
> There were important files on the old PC, the user never backed up the
> files
> to any other media. I installed the OLD drive in the NEW PC as an
> extra
> drive. But can not get to the files saved under secured profiles. I
> know
> the user names and passwords. But can not figure out how to log in to
> authenticate to those users. I set the PC up with the same user name
> as the old PC but obviously it did not work for the data on the OLD
> drive.
>
> When I browse to the folder in my documents\profile my access is
> denied.

(snip)

You don't need to "pull profiles" off the old drive, just the data. All
you need to do is take ownership of the files.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

      6th Mar 2006
I will give it a try. Thanks so much, the user will be very releived if this
works. Will save me much grief. Hopefully a lesson will be learned!

Rick