Moving to SharePoint - Advice?

Neil

      17th Nov 2011
I've had several clients ask about putting their Access database on the web.
So I don't think I can put off the inevitable any longer: I'm going to have
to get up to speed on SharePoint - specifically as it relates to porting
Access 2010 dbs and linking the two.

Any advice that anyone has would be much appreciated, including any books or
other resources that might be helpful.

Also, I imagine I'll have to purchase some SharePoint hosting for
development and testing, correct? Anyone have any recommendations for
inexpensive hosts for single-person developers?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

warfi

      17th Nov 2011
On Nov 17, 12:46*am, "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've had several clients ask about putting their Access database on the web.
> So I don't think I can put off the inevitable any longer: I'm going to have
> to get up to speed on SharePoint - specifically as it relates to porting
> Access 2010 dbs and linking the two.
>
> Any advice that anyone has would be much appreciated, including any booksor
> other resources that might be helpful.
>
> Also, I imagine I'll have to purchase some SharePoint hosting for
> development and testing, correct? Anyone have any recommendations for
> inexpensive hosts for single-person developers?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance!

You will need to work with access services in SharePoint 2010. The
configuration related information is available at:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ee748653.aspx

Some resources which give information on how to import the database
are:
http://sharepointmd.blogspot.com/201...tabase-to.html
http://blog.fpweb.net/microsoft-acce...undation-2010/
http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Acces...cess-2010-Demo

Neil

      18th Nov 2011

"warfi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Nov 17, 12:46 am, "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've had several clients ask about putting their Access database on the
> web.
> So I don't think I can put off the inevitable any longer: I'm going to
> have
> to get up to speed on SharePoint - specifically as it relates to porting
> Access 2010 dbs and linking the two.
>
> Any advice that anyone has would be much appreciated, including any books
> or
> other resources that might be helpful.
>
> Also, I imagine I'll have to purchase some SharePoint hosting for
> development and testing, correct? Anyone have any recommendations for
> inexpensive hosts for single-person developers?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance!

You will need to work with access services in SharePoint 2010. The
configuration related information is available at:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ee748653.aspx

Some resources which give information on how to import the database
are:
http://sharepointmd.blogspot.com/201...tabase-to.html
http://blog.fpweb.net/microsoft-acce...undation-2010/
http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Acces...cess-2010-Demo