Moving the role of File/Print Server to New Win2k3 Box !!!!!!

Harry

      2nd Nov 2007
Hi!

Can anybody give step-by-step on how to move the role of a Print/File
Server from one Windows Server 2003 box to another ?

I basically have 3 Server in our office

1) DCSRV01 - Win2k3 Domain Controller
2) EXSRV01 - Exchange - 2003 ( Additional DC)
3) FPSRV01 - Win2k3 - File and Print Server

I will be setting up a new Storage Server and wish to transfer the role of
FPSRV01 to the new Storage Server with less or no changes being done on the
Client computers.

Pl suggest
Thank you
Harry

Meinolf Weber

      2nd Nov 2007
Hello Harry,

Printmigrator form MS and xxcopy or robocopy for copying the files including
the security permissions.

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServ...grator3.1.mspx

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

You have to check about the mappings you create for the users to the network
shares, that a new servername is in use.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Hi!
>
> Can anybody give step-by-step on how to move the role of a Print/File
> Server from one Windows Server 2003 box to another ?
>
> I basically have 3 Server in our office
>
> 1) DCSRV01 - Win2k3 Domain Controller
> 2) EXSRV01 - Exchange - 2003 ( Additional DC)
> 3) FPSRV01 - Win2k3 - File and Print Server
> I will be setting up a new Storage Server and wish to transfer the
> role of FPSRV01 to the new Storage Server with less or no changes
> being done on the Client computers.
>
> Pl suggest
> Thank you
> Harry

Harry

      3rd Nov 2007
Hi! Mr. Weber,
Thank you very much for the links - will do some testing in test environment
first.
Appreciate your help .
Thank you
Regards
Harry
"Meinolf Weber" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Harry,
>
> Printmigrator form MS and xxcopy or robocopy for copying the files
> including the security permissions.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServ...grator3.1.mspx
>
> http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

> You have to check about the mappings you create for the users to the
> network shares, that a new servername is in use.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Can anybody give step-by-step on how to move the role of a Print/File
>> Server from one Windows Server 2003 box to another ?
>>
>> I basically have 3 Server in our office
>>
>> 1) DCSRV01 - Win2k3 Domain Controller
>> 2) EXSRV01 - Exchange - 2003 ( Additional DC)
>> 3) FPSRV01 - Win2k3 - File and Print Server
>> I will be setting up a new Storage Server and wish to transfer the
>> role of FPSRV01 to the new Storage Server with less or no changes
>> being done on the Client computers.
>>
>> Pl suggest
>> Thank you
>> Harry

Meinolf Weber

      3rd Nov 2007
Hello Harry,

Testing is always a good idea, before going to production network.