PC Review

Closed Thread

Moving .ost file from old to new computers

The_professor

      26th Feb 2009
I work in a large organisation that has need to move from .ost files from an
older device being replaced to the new device. We are using XP,
Office/Outlook 2003/ and Exchange 2007. We have recently enabled Cached
Mode, as a part of our upgrade procedure we back up the .ost file from the
old machine to a network share. That .ost file is then copied to the new
machine and the Outlook profile configured to use the copied .ost file. Our
initial testing seem prove this was a workable scenriao. Now, I am seeing
the following error:

"Outlook is using an old copy of your Offline Folder file (.ost). Exit
Outlook, delete the .ost file, and restart Outlook. A new file will be
automatically created the next time you initiate a send/recieve. "

There is a MS article 872930 that describes how the deploy the .oab file for
Cached Mode. I simply want to use a file that is already out there and
contains 98% of the data that the end user needs.

Has anyone tried this before and gotten it to work?

neo [mvp outlook]

      28th Feb 2009
The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST from
has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the seed
OST that you wanted to use.

"The_professor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I work in a large organisation that has need to move from .ost files from
>an
> older device being replaced to the new device. We are using XP,
> Office/Outlook 2003/ and Exchange 2007. We have recently enabled Cached
> Mode, as a part of our upgrade procedure we back up the .ost file from the
> old machine to a network share. That .ost file is then copied to the new
> machine and the Outlook profile configured to use the copied .ost file.
> Our
> initial testing seem prove this was a workable scenriao. Now, I am seeing
> the following error:
>
> "Outlook is using an old copy of your Offline Folder file (.ost). Exit
> Outlook, delete the .ost file, and restart Outlook. A new file will be
> automatically created the next time you initiate a send/recieve. "
>
> There is a MS article 872930 that describes how the deploy the .oab file
> for
> Cached Mode. I simply want to use a file that is already out there and
> contains 98% of the data that the end user needs.
>
> Has anyone tried this before and gotten it to work?

The_professor

      3rd Mar 2009
Neo,

Let me see if I understand this correctly;

I backup a user's ost file at 09:00 from computer XP1. Customer reopens
Outlook and continues working. I build computer XP2 and place the .ost file
in the appropriate directory. However, I will receive the error I described
because the customer continued working on the original .ost on computer XP1.
Correct?

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST from
> has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the seed
> OST that you wanted to use.

neo [mvp outlook]

      4th Mar 2009
Correct.

"The_professor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neo,
>
> Let me see if I understand this correctly;
>
> I backup a user's ost file at 09:00 from computer XP1. Customer reopens
> Outlook and continues working. I build computer XP2 and place the .ost
> file
> in the appropriate directory. However, I will receive the error I
> described
> because the customer continued working on the original .ost on computer
> XP1.
> Correct?
>

> "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
>
>> The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST
>> from
>> has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the
>> seed
>> OST that you wanted to use.

The_professor

      4th Mar 2009
Thanks for the help, Neo. I am testing and will post the results.

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> Correct.
>
> "The_professor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Neo,
> >
> > Let me see if I understand this correctly;
> >
> > I backup a user's ost file at 09:00 from computer XP1. Customer reopens
> > Outlook and continues working. I build computer XP2 and place the .ost
> > file
> > in the appropriate directory. However, I will receive the error I
> > described
> > because the customer continued working on the original .ost on computer
> > XP1.
> > Correct?
> >

> > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST
> >> from
> >> has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the
> >> seed
> >> OST that you wanted to use.

The_professor

      9th Mar 2009
Neo - You are a genius!! Your answer is 100% accurate! After a hours of
running n circles on this issue, this was the answer I was looking for.
Thanks for your help!

"The_professor" wrote:

> Thanks for the help, Neo. I am testing and will post the results.
>
> "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
>
> > Correct.
> >
> > "The_professor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Neo,
> > >
> > > Let me see if I understand this correctly;
> > >
> > > I backup a user's ost file at 09:00 from computer XP1. Customer reopens
> > > Outlook and continues working. I build computer XP2 and place the .ost
> > > file
> > > in the appropriate directory. However, I will receive the error I
> > > described
> > > because the customer continued working on the original .ost on computer
> > > XP1.
> > > Correct?

geresq@gmail.com

      22nd Jun 2012
On Monday, March 9, 2009 12:14:02 PM UTC-7, The_professor wrote:
> Neo - You are a genius!! Your answer is 100% accurate! After a hours of
> running n circles on this issue, this was the answer I was looking for.
> Thanks for your help!
>
> "The_professor" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the help, Neo. I am testing and will post the results.
> >
> > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
> >
> > > Correct.
> > >
> > > "The_professor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Did you have to resave the old ost?

luciferjemmie@gmail.com

      9th Aug 2013
The reason why, OLD .ost files cannot be directly move into new devices is that when Outlook is used in Cached Exchange Mode with Exchange server thenOST files is created with particular profile. Exchange server encrypts the.ost with same profile only. If old profile is modified then data from ostfiles will be inaccessible and you will get error messages.

To solve the error and to access old ost file on new system, you are required to convert old ost file to pst file and then import PST files any new computer.

For recovering all data from old ost files PCVITA OST Converter software isthe right choice. The software extract entire data (emails, contacts, calendars, notes, lists, tasks etc) from old ost files into Outlook PST files without missing any data value.

Closed Thread