Move to new Server..?

Kent J

      29th Nov 2008
Hi all,

I have an old Win2003 server which I intend to replace with a new one.
The new server has Win2003 server sp2, Raid5,16 Gb Ram, 2*Quad processors.

The filebackup included a file- and system backup.
On the new server I ran a restore on the filebackup.
My plan was reuse all the old settings and installed program.

Everything looked good until i restarted the new server.
Before I could login I had to verify the system licencensumber. Then I
was prompted to reinstall some drivers.

After a second restart Windows failed to start up.

I guess I have done something wrong somewhere.
What is the proper way to do this?
How can I fix the problem?

Kent J.

Dave Patrick

      29th Nov 2008
These articles may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Kent J" wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an old Win2003 server which I intend to replace with a new one. The
> new server has Win2003 server sp2, Raid5,16 Gb Ram, 2*Quad processors.
>
> The filebackup included a file- and system backup.
> On the new server I ran a restore on the filebackup.
> My plan was reuse all the old settings and installed program.
>
> Everything looked good until i restarted the new server.
> Before I could login I had to verify the system licencensumber. Then I was
> prompted to reinstall some drivers.
>
> After a second restart Windows failed to start up.
>
> I guess I have done something wrong somewhere.
> What is the proper way to do this?
> How can I fix the problem?
>
> Kent J.

Kent J

      29th Nov 2008
Thanks Dave!

But: "Expand and copy the correct Hal.dll and Ntoskrnl.exe files from
the Windows Server 2003 SP1 CD to the Windows Server 2003-based computer
before you restore the backup."

....how can do this?
I'm trying to boot from a Win2003 CD and it starts to load but after two
seconds I'll still get:

"Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please

Kent J.

Dave Patrick skrev:
> These articles may help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694