how to move hiberfil.sys

Dr. Ralf Schulz

      15th Jan 2004
Hi,

in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like many
others. I would like to move this file to the temporary Directory to avoid
backing up with some external tools I use.
Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send me
some advice?

Thanks in advance
Ralf

Mcploppy

      15th Jan 2004
Dr. Ralf Schulz bashed at the keyboard and said:
> Hi,
>
> in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like
> many others. I would like to move this file to the temporary
> Directory to avoid backing up with some external tools I use.
> Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send
> me some advice?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ralf

Hi Ralf,

During hibernation, all devices are powered off, and the system's physical
memory is written to disk in the system hibernation file, \Hiberfil.sys.

You'll need to turn off the "Enable Hibernate" by going to:

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Power Options and then select the
"Hibernate" Tab and De-Select the "Enable Hibernation" check box.

After you do this WinXP will delete the hiberfil.sys file next time you
re-boot.

HTH
--
McPloppy

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me }
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
{ My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

Will Denny

      15th Jan 2004
Hi Ralf

The hiberfil.sys file is used for Hibernation. If you don't use the Hibernation option that file can be deleted by going to:

Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate tab. Uncheck 'Enable Hibernation' and the file will automatically be deleted.

If you would rather move it - you will still have to uncheck 'Enable Hibernation'.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Dr. Ralf Schulz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4006fbd7$0$7771$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> Hi,
>
> in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like many
> others. I would like to move this file to the temporary Directory to avoid
> backing up with some external tools I use.
> Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send me
> some advice?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ralf

---

Richard Urban

      15th Jan 2004
Will.

I believe that hiberfil.sys MUST be in the root of the drive where Windows
is installed. It is not moveable. Correct me if I am wrong here! You can
stop using it, but if you do want to use it, it must be in it's present
location.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ezJKw%(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi Ralf

The hiberfil.sys file is used for Hibernation. If you don't use the
Hibernation option that file can be deleted by going to:

Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate tab. Uncheck 'Enable Hibernation' and
the file will automatically be deleted.

If you would rather move it - you will still have to uncheck 'Enable
Hibernation'.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Dr. Ralf Schulz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4006fbd7$0$7771$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> Hi,
>
> in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like many
> others. I would like to move this file to the temporary Directory to avoid
> backing up with some external tools I use.
> Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send me
> some advice?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ralf

---

Star Fleet Admiral Q

      16th Jan 2004
You can use it or not use it, that's your options - it can't be moved, it
must be in the root of the "system" drive/partition (where the PC boots
from).

"Dr. Ralf Schulz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4006fbd7$0$7771$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> Hi,
>
> in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like many
> others. I would like to move this file to the temporary Directory to avoid
> backing up with some external tools I use.
> Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send me
> some advice?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Ralf

Will Denny

      16th Jan 2004
Hi

Yes, that's correct. I've just re-checked - hiberfil.sys can't be moved. If Hibernation is disabled, then hiberfil.sys is automatically deleted when either 'Apply' or 'OK' is clicked on.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will.
>
> I believe that hiberfil.sys MUST be in the root of the drive where Windows
> is installed. It is not moveable. Correct me if I am wrong here! You can
> stop using it, but if you do want to use it, it must be in it's present
> location.
>
> --
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> "Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ezJKw%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Ralf
>
> The hiberfil.sys file is used for Hibernation. If you don't use the
> Hibernation option that file can be deleted by going to:
>
> Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate tab. Uncheck 'Enable Hibernation' and
> the file will automatically be deleted.
>
> If you would rather move it - you will still have to uncheck 'Enable
> Hibernation'.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

> "Dr. Ralf Schulz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4006fbd7$0$7771$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > in my opinion, the hiberfil.sys file ist just a temporary file like many
> > others. I would like to move this file to the temporary Directory to avoid
> > backing up with some external tools I use.
> > Is there an authorized guide how to move hiberfil.sys? Could you send me
> > some advice?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Ralf
> >

> ---

---

Dr. Ralf Schulz

      17th Jan 2004
Thanks for your advice.
What a pity! I can't understand, why the swapping device can be moved to
another drive, but not the hiberfil.sys.
I consider this a bug.

Richard Urban

      18th Jan 2004
Consider it as you will. There are definite reasons for its being where it
is, when called for.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Dr. Ralf Schulz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:400ae742$0$17566$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> Thanks for your advice.
> What a pity! I can't understand, why the swapping device can be moved to
> another drive, but not the hiberfil.sys.
> I consider this a bug.

New Member

      18th Apr 2010
> Thanks for your advice.
> What a pity! I can't understand, why the swapping device can be moved to
> another drive, but not the hiberfil.sys.
> I consider this a bug.

The swap file isn't needed for booting. It's accessed after Windows is running so the system has time for look for it if it's needed.

The hiberfile is part of the boot sequence and accessed while Windows is waking up and hasn't got it's brains together yet. The file has to be in an exact known place where Windows expects it to be.

That said, perhaps the OS could be patched to look somewhere else.