motherboard replacement

Annie Johnson

      16th Jun 2004
I have an ASUS P4S533-MX motherboard--built in video,
audio and LAN. Back in late April I suddenly got no video
on post. ASUS replaced the motherboard with another
equivalent (same model) motherboard. The first time I
booted with the new motherboard I got the following error:

"The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and
unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:."

WinLogon then proceeded to run Chkdsk and Chkdsk found the
following errors:

Cleaning up 22 unused index entries from index $SII of
file 0x9.
Cleaning up 22 unused index entries from index $SDH of
file 0x9.
Cleaning up 22 unused security descriptors.

Everytime I boot I get the "structure on the disk is
corrupt and unusable" error, and after chkdsk runs it
either finds no errors or a set of the index and security
descriptor errors.

In between it seems to run fine, including over a month
without a reboot and with no disk errors. But then I do
sometimes get other strange errors on boot, like every now
and then a service won't start (like "The SAVScan service
failed to start due to the following error: The system
cannot find the file specified." which makes me nervous
since this is the application that Norton Antivirus uses
to watch files being opened for viruses) , but the next
time it will start without an error.

Anybody got any ideas as to what might be going on?

Microsoft has a couple of references to errors like this
in the knowledge base--one related to copying large
amounts of data, and the other to an early Win2K version
of Chkdsk, but these were supposedly fixed in SP1 and I
have SP4. But according to KB article 255008 four files
should be dated 1/25/2000, but mine are all dated
12/7/1999. How can I be running service pack 4 but not
have these files updated?

I am have considered that maybe there is a hardware
problem--timing would point to that, but can't figure how
a hardware error would consistently give me errors with
security descriptors.

I'm not ready to spend bucks on Microsoft support for
this, so I'm hoping that someone here can help me out and
at least give me a clue.

Thanks!

Annie Johnson

DL

      16th Jun 2004
After changing mobo you need to do a repair install of win2K
You may also want to check yr hd manu site for a hd checking utility

news:1d07a01c45360$1c327090$(E-Mail Removed)...