Monitor screen appears smudged

Jackson

      25th Nov 2009
At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.

If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
with the display property settings does not cure the
problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
it's just the display that has a problem

Does this sound like something may be overheating and
causing a problem.

I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.

I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
with no problems up to this point).
Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
box).
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
Display settings: 1024 x 768

I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
some time after a boot or reboot.

If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
things like that?

I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
appreciated.

I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
what's going on?

FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
little cold and I guess that is another vote for
overheating.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

LVTravel

      25th Nov 2009

"Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
> display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
> screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
> paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
> and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.
>
> If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
> pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
> with the display property settings does not cure the
> problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
> modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
> it's just the display that has a problem
>
> Does this sound like something may be overheating and
> causing a problem.
>
> I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
>
> I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
> with no problems up to this point).
> Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
> analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
> box).
> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
> Display settings: 1024 x 768
>
> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
> some time after a boot or reboot.
>
> If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
> cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
> things like that?
>
> I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
> cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
> the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
> what's going on?
>
> FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
> and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
> little cold and I guess that is another vote for
> overheating.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is the
display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT monitors.)
The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are 960 X 600, 1280
X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X 1050. Your video in
the computer is probably set to the incorrect resolution and that may be
causing some issues. Check the monitor documentation (or post the model
number and make for the monitor if you can't find the documentation and we
will attempt to tell you what the optimal resolution for the display is.

One other thing you should try is to ensure that there is no power supply
brick or speaker near the LCD monitor. While this isn't as much of an issue
with LCD displays as it was with the older CRT displays, why take the
chance.

Post back.

Bruce Chambers

      25th Nov 2009
Jackson wrote:

> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
> some time after a boot or reboot.

I wouldn't want to make that assumption. The monitor's performance may
be degrading over time as it warms up. Try a different monitor, and
then you'll know, one way or another.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Jackson

      25th Nov 2009
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:21:21 -0500, "LVTravel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text.

/../
>> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
>> Display settings: 1024 x 768

/../

>1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is the
>display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT monitors.)
>The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are 960 X 600, 1280
>X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X 1050. Your video in
>the computer is probably set to the incorrect resolution and that may be
>causing some issues. Check the monitor documentation (or post the model
>number and make for the monitor if you can't find the documentation and we
>will attempt to tell you what the optimal resolution for the display is.

The monitor is the 20-inch E207WFP. The info that came with
it lists the optimum resolution at 1680 X 1050. I reduced
the size because it is more comfortable to my eyes this way.

>One other thing you should try is to ensure that there is no power supply
>brick or speaker near the LCD monitor. While this isn't as much of an issue
>with LCD displays as it was with the older CRT displays, why take the
>chance.
>
>Post back.

The monitor sits atop a surge box and has speakers on both
sides. I have moved the speakers farther away, but it will
be a big deal to move the surge box. So far today the
display is normal and it has been running ten hours. It is
72° in the room, usually it is a little warmer. I'll hold
off moving the surge protector box unless the display starts
going fuzzy again.

When I have a couple of hours I intend to open the computer
case and clean out the dust. I suspect it has collected
quite a load in three years. There is always dust on the
shelves and stuff, so this is not a pristine atmosphere.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

Jackson

      25th Nov 2009
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:37:46 -0700, Bruce Chambers
<(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote:

>Jackson wrote:
>>

>> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
>> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
>> some time after a boot or reboot.
>>

> I wouldn't want to make that assumption. The monitor's performance may
>be degrading over time as it warms up. Try a different monitor, and
>then you'll know, one way or another.

That's a great idea. I'll have to borry a monitor
somewhere,or maybe I can hook up to my laptop. Today the
computer has been running over ten hours and the display
remains perfect. We shall see.

Thanks again.

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

Ken Blake, MVP

      25th Nov 2009
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:31:49 -0600, Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:21:21 -0500, "LVTravel"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text.

> /../
> >> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
> >> Display settings: 1024 x 768
> >>

> /../
>

> >1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is the
> >display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT monitors.)
> >The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are 960 X 600, 1280
> >X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X 1050. Your video in
> >the computer is probably set to the incorrect resolution and that may be
> >causing some issues. Check the monitor documentation (or post the model
> >number and make for the monitor if you can't find the documentation and we
> >will attempt to tell you what the optimal resolution for the display is.
> >

> The monitor is the 20-inch E207WFP. The info that came with
> it lists the optimum resolution at 1680 X 1050. I reduced
> the size because it is more comfortable to my eyes this way.

Three points:

1. You have a wide-screen monitor, but you are not running at a
wide-screen resolution. 1024 x 768 is the wrong aspect ratio, and that
means that all graphics images will be distorted.

2. I assume that yours is an LCD monitor. It's very important to run
LCD monitors at their recommended resolution, since everything will be
fuzzy if you don't.

3. You've reduced the resolution to make things bigger and easier on
your eyes, and that's understandable. But you should have left the
resolution at 1680x1050, and instead increased the sizes of the fonts
where necessary.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Hot-text

      25th Nov 2009
Jackson
#1 MS [MVP] is right
#2 Bruce is 1/2 right
Who say: Try a different monitor, and then you'll know, one way or another.
# 3 you need the CD that came with that different Monitor:; to get the right
Drives for that Monitor so it can work rightly ::
so you can see the right Resolutions and Color on that Monitor
You can get the drive form the Manufacturer website.
#4 Your Dell dimension C521 did it come with XP from the Manufacturer or
you format the Hard Drive your self and put XP on it.
if you Did go here
http://www.dell.com/content/products...=22&l=en&s=dfh
If not go look you need to see

And Chick on Support ---- you see ((( Drivers & Downloads ))))
Yours
Hot-Text
P.S.
I'll be there too I need some Drivers & Downloads for a Dell Dimension XPS
T___ I working I putting a Windows 98 in

"Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
> display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
> screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
> paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
> and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.
>
> If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
> pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
> with the display property settings does not cure the
> problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
> modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
> it's just the display that has a problem
>
> Does this sound like something may be overheating and
> causing a problem.
>
> I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
>
> I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
> with no problems up to this point).
> Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
> analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
> box).
> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
> Display settings: 1024 x 768
>
> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
> some time after a boot or reboot.
>
> If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
> cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
> things like that?
>
> I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
> cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
> the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
> what's going on?
>
> FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
> and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
> little cold and I guess that is another vote for
> overheating.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

M.I.5

      26th Nov 2009

"LVTravel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
>> display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
>> screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
>> paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
>> and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.
>>
>> If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
>> pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
>> with the display property settings does not cure the
>> problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
>> modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
>> it's just the display that has a problem
>>
>> Does this sound like something may be overheating and
>> causing a problem.
>>
>> I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
>>
>> I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
>> with no problems up to this point).
>> Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
>> analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
>> box).
>> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
>> Display settings: 1024 x 768
>>
>> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
>> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
>> some time after a boot or reboot.
>>
>> If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
>> cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
>> things like that?
>>
>> I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
>> cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
>> the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
>> what's going on?
>>
>> FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
>> and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
>> little cold and I guess that is another vote for
>> overheating.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

> 1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is
> the display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT
> monitors.) The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are
> 960 X 600, 1280 X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X
> 1050.

The only one of those formats that corresponds to a widescreen format screen
is 1280x720. None of the others do so. The next closest is 1280x768, but
that is only 15:9. If the OP has a widescreen display 1920x1080 should be
available and this is the native format of most decent 20 inch widescreen
monitors.

M.I.5

      26th Nov 2009

"Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
> display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
> screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
> paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
> and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.
>
> If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
> pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
> with the display property settings does not cure the
> problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
> modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
> it's just the display that has a problem
>
> Does this sound like something may be overheating and
> causing a problem.
>
> I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
>
> I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
> with no problems up to this point).
> Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
> analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
> box).
> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
> Display settings: 1024 x 768
>
> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
> some time after a boot or reboot.
>
> If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
> cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
> things like that?
>
> I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
> cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
> the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
> what's going on?
>
> FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
> and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
> little cold and I guess that is another vote for
> overheating.

To be honest, it does sound like a problem with the monitor. Can you try it
on another PC? As someone else has noted 1024x768 cannot be the native mode
for the monitor (you didn't tell us what it is).

Fitting an alternate graphic card does not seem to be an option because the
motherboard used in that machine seems to have a very limited expansion
potential having a one PCI slot and a one single lane PC-express port. You
just ain't going to find a decent graphic card that fits in either of those.

LVTravel

      27th Nov 2009

"M.I.5" <(E-Mail Removed)_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
news:4b0e9956$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "LVTravel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> At times my monitor shows 'smeared' images and text. The
>>> display looks like somebody rubbed their hand over the
>>> screen and smeared everything a bit to the right, as if the
>>> paint had not dried enough. If I right click on the desktop
>>> and click 'Refresh' the problem remains.
>>>
>>> If I reboot, the display becomes normal again but, after a
>>> pause of many minutes, the problem reappears. Tinkering
>>> with the display property settings does not cure the
>>> problem. The smeared display is in both safe and regular
>>> modes. Otherwise, the machine seems to be working normally;
>>> it's just the display that has a problem
>>>
>>> Does this sound like something may be overheating and
>>> causing a problem.
>>>
>>> I updated and ran SpybotSD and Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
>>>
>>> I have XP (mce) on a Dell dimension C521 (Three years old
>>> with no problems up to this point).
>>> Monitor: 20-inch widescreen digital flat panel (working on
>>> analog mode since a digital card will not fit in the C521
>>> box).
>>> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU.
>>> Display settings: 1024 x 768
>>>
>>> I am open to suggestions on possible causes. I assume the
>>> monitor is not at fault because the display is normal for
>>> some time after a boot or reboot.
>>>
>>> If the video card is not being cooled properly could that
>>> cause the problem? Is there a program that checks for
>>> things like that?
>>>
>>> I have never opened the case of the computer. Any hints on
>>> cleaning and checking ventilation will be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> I assume you remove power while opening the case. Can I run
>>> the computer with the case still open, so that I can observe
>>> what's going on?
>>>
>>> FWIW, I have been using the machine for over two hours now
>>> and the display is still perfect. The room I'm in is a
>>> little cold and I guess that is another vote for
>>> overheating.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>>
>>> Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL

>> 1024 X 768 is not the proper resolution for a wide screen monitor, it is
>> the display resolution for a 4:3 aspect ratio display (the old CRT
>> monitors.) The generally standard settings for a widescreen monitor are
>> 960 X 600, 1280 X 720, 1280 X 768, 1400 X 1050, 1440 X 900 and 1680 X
>> 1050.

> The only one of those formats that corresponds to a widescreen format
> screen is 1280x720. None of the others do so. The next closest is
> 1280x768, but that is only 15:9. If the OP has a widescreen display
> 1920x1080 should be available and this is the native format of most decent
> 20 inch widescreen monitors.

Amazingly my Gateway machine is set by the manufacturer at 1680 X 1050 (the
same as what the OP said his was originally set for) and it is a 22" wide
screen. The resolutions I specified in my post are the resolutions this
nVidia display adapter will produce. He has a nVidia GeForce 6150 LE model
adapter and my adapter is nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. While not the
most powerful graphic adapter on the market it works fine with this
widescreen monitor I have. Going to Dell's web site for the monitor the
OP describes they specify a native resolution of 1680 X 1050.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...g/internet.htm