Monitor will not turn on. Does it have a fuse I can change?

B__P@hotmail.com

      5th Aug 2010
I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.

BP

GMAN

      5th Aug 2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
>to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
>doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
>inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
>has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
>working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.
>
>BP

Could be a fuse, but could also be a ton of blown or bulged capacitors inside.
If you dare and are good with a soldering iron and a desoldering tool, go
ahead and open it up and look. I repaired a Acer 24" monitor that was 2 weeks
out of warranty. I had to replace 18 capacitors of differing ratings, but it
works like day one now.

Mike Easter

      5th Aug 2010
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
> to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
> has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
> working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.

The Westinghouse LCM-22W2 manual doesn't provide any user service advice
in its troubleshooting for no power except to be sure that the monitor
AC cord is plugged in to the back and the wall and that the wall plug
has power.

Even with no vid signal, the power light is supposed to be orange, green
when operational

I don't think you can pay to troubleshoot it and replace something for
the price of replacement.

--
Mike Easter

GMAN

      6th Aug 2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
>> to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
>> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
>> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
>> has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
>> working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.

>The Westinghouse LCM-22W2 manual doesn't provide any user service advice
>in its troubleshooting for no power except to be sure that the monitor
>AC cord is plugged in to the back and the wall and that the wall plug
>has power.
>
>Even with no vid signal, the power light is supposed to be orange, green
>when operational
>
>I don't think you can pay to troubleshoot it and replace something for
>the price of replacement.

Definately would cost more to pay someone else to fix than to just buy a new
24"-26" for around $200 or so. But like i said, if you know how to solder ,
a blown fuse , if its that, would cost all of a few dollars if that, and even
if every capacitor in the unit is needing replacement, it most likely wont
cost you more than $10-$15 for those parts.

John Doe

      6th Aug 2010
Winniethepooh 100acrewoods.org (GMAN) wrote:

> if every capacitor in the unit is needing replacement, it most
> likely wont cost you more than $10-$15 for those parts.

But seriously. That is neither here nor there.
--

> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> From: Winniethepooh 100acrewoods.org (GMAN)
> Subject: Re: Monitor will not turn on. Does it have a fuse I can change?
> Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 23:40:36 GMT

Paul

      6th Aug 2010
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
> to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
> has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
> working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.
>
> BP

It helps if you have a model number to work with. The following
is just an example I made up for myself :-)

*******

I can't see a fuse here. Just a moderately dangerous open-face
assembly to work on (yellow PCB).

http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php...ouse-lcm-22w3/

http://i.ebayimg.com/15/!Bud)9zgCGk~$(KGrHqQOKigEvN2wjNhrBM!eFK8N2Q~~_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I'm guessing, signal flow, left to right, bottom half, is
AC input filter, rectify to HV DC, switching transistor on heatsink
for HV primary side DC, transformer in yellow, with turns ratio to
fix output voltage, rectifiers on heatsink (synchronous rectification,
or just plain rectifiers ?), and a bunch of filter caps for low
output voltages. Eight pin connector carries low voltages
to the adapter board (adapts DVI and VGA, to panel signals,
does scaling perhaps).

The top section includes two HV inverters, taking perhaps 12VDC
in and giving 700-1000 VAC output at high frequency, to run the
backlights. I see perhaps two optoisolators (8 pin) ? And the
three yellow things on the right could be small transformers,
not really sure what that would be for.

Depending on the era, the capacitors could be leaking, and the
unit may have managed to detect an internal overload, shutting
down the switching action.

It could have a fuse, as I can't identify every component in the picture.
For example, there is a black blob below the three pin AC plug. The
PCB assembly is really cheap, and appears to be a single sided layout,
with wire straps used on the component side, to complete the layout.
Rather than put copper tracks on both sides of the PCB, they put
most of the copper tracks on the back. When a signal needs to
jump, they use those bare exposed straps on the component side.

The supply board is made by Delta Electronics. And that particular
example is DAC-19M009. The only thing I can see on Ebay, is someone
offering to accept your power supply board, and replace the
caps for you. Even though there could be other damage to the
thing. It isn't always going to be just the caps that
are damaged. When caps fail, sometimes other components
are damaged in collateral action.

Any sizzling, smoke, or funny smells before this happened ?

The thing is, even if there was a fuse, that fuse blew for a reason.
Just replacing the fuse won't fix it. The fuse would only blow again,
until you fixed it right.

It is possible for an engineer, to use a wrong value fuse, leading
to nuisance trips. But I haven't seen a mistake like that in
eons. Most of the time, the fuse will blow, to tell you there
is a serious problem elsewhere. A problem that must be fixed
first, before you can contemplate changing the fuse.

Paul

Mike Easter

      6th Aug 2010
Paul wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
>> to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
>> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
>> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
>> has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
>> working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.

> I can't see a fuse here. Just a moderately dangerous open-face
> assembly to work on (yellow PCB).
>
> http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php...ouse-lcm-22w3/

That's a useful description to help sell his package of capacitors.

> It could have a fuse, as I can't identify every component in the picture.

> The thing is, even if there was a fuse, that fuse blew for a reason.
> Just replacing the fuse won't fix it. The fuse would only blow again,
> until you fixed it right.

One of the comments had a fuse, the tech guy answered that there are two.

Comments 5 & 7 - the numbering system is imperfect w/ dupes

=========

# Peter Triffitt on Wed, 17th Mar 2010 4:03 pm

Hello Sirs.
What a brilliant site!! My monitor has just stopped working, no
noticable warnings.I have the board DAC-19M009 on my bench, and it all
looks in order. But I have tested the fuse (F101) and it is open
circuit, there is also a very slight area of soot between the fuse
connections. Shall I replace the capacitors anyway? Can you supply the
fuse? Or is this a different fault?
Best Regards Pete.

# CCL_TECH on Sun, 21st Mar 2010 3:55 pm

Yes, We can provide the fuse. Which fuse is blown, the one on the ac
side or the pico fuse on the bottom of the board?

=========

Further down there is more description about that fuse.

--
Mike Easter

Astro

      6th Aug 2010
On 2010-08-06 10:23:18 +1000, John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Winniethepooh 100acrewoods.org (GMAN) wrote:
>
>> if every capacitor in the unit is needing replacement, it most
>> likely wont cost you more than $10-$15 for those parts.

> But seriously. That is neither here nor there.

Where is it?

Paul

      6th Aug 2010
Mike Easter wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
>>> to the next. The light the normally comes on when the monitor is on
>>> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
>>> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
>>> has gone bad. If anyone can provide a credible reason it stopped
>>> working and a possible fix, I'd be most grateful.

>> I can't see a fuse here. Just a moderately dangerous open-face
>> assembly to work on (yellow PCB).
>>
>> http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php...ouse-lcm-22w3/

> That's a useful description to help sell his package of capacitors.
>
>> It could have a fuse, as I can't identify every component in the picture.

>> The thing is, even if there was a fuse, that fuse blew for a reason.
>> Just replacing the fuse won't fix it. The fuse would only blow again,
>> until you fixed it right.

> One of the comments had a fuse, the tech guy answered that there are two.
>
> Comments 5 & 7 - the numbering system is imperfect w/ dupes
>
> =========
>
> # Peter Triffitt on Wed, 17th Mar 2010 4:03 pm
>
> Hello Sirs.
> What a brilliant site!! My monitor has just stopped working, no
> noticable warnings.I have the board DAC-19M009 on my bench, and it all
> looks in order. But I have tested the fuse (F101) and it is open
> circuit, there is also a very slight area of soot between the fuse
> connections. Shall I replace the capacitors anyway? Can you supply the
> fuse? Or is this a different fault?
> Best Regards Pete.
>
> # CCL_TECH on Sun, 21st Mar 2010 3:55 pm
>
> Yes, We can provide the fuse. Which fuse is blown, the one on the ac
> side or the pico fuse on the bottom of the board?
>
> =========
>
> Further down there is more description about that fuse.

I didn't even notice the comments section :-)

I see one comment in there:

"I ordered a replacement fuse, and replaced the bridge rectifier too,
but it popped right away again. Does that mean I should do the
capacitor kit now?"

That is what I'm talking about. The fuse isn't the cause of the problem,
it is a symptom. It tells you something else is cooked.

I also liked the description, where a poster said their transformer
was running hot. So who knows what other things can fail on that
power board.

The thing labeled as a picofuse, could be a polyfuse. But because the
picture is out of focus, it's really hard to say what it is. My
experience with picofuses, is they blow easily, and my buddies used
to multiply the rating a fair bit, to keep them going. (I.e. Use a
10 amp pico in a 2 amp circuit.) And even then, they weren't super
reliable. So we used picos on lab prototypes, to prevent stuff
from burning up - if one popped, it didn't take long to fit another
one. But sprinkling them in a production circuit would be another
matter. Fuses are bad in any case, and generally, they're installed
when you need some kind of certification. It you were to put them
into a circuit "because you were nervous", the warranty claims
coming from the field, would be never ending. The boss would probably
make you solder in all the warranty replacements, as punishment.

Paul

Jon Danniken

      6th Aug 2010
Astro wrote:
> On 2010-08-06 10:23:18 +1000, John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Winniethepooh 100acrewoods.org (GMAN) wrote:
>>
>>> if every capacitor in the unit is needing replacement, it most
>>> likely wont cost you more than $10-$15 for those parts.

>> But seriously. That is neither here nor there.

> Where is it?

Somewhere over the rainbow?

Jon