PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Modem is being blocked from connecting

 
 
Pam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Jul 2007
My friend's computer has suddenly quit connecting to AOL. The message she
gets is as follows: "The computer's modem is being blocked from connecting.
Error: 77-RF-JT". I spent a couple of hours trying to get it to connect,
but I'm stumped. I tried uninstalling it, restarting the computer, and then
saw the "New Hardware Found" message but no installation wizard. I checked
the device manager and couldn't see any kind of hardware conflicts, but I
also didn't see anything that told me that the modem was on any of the
communication ports either. When I checked the modem properties, however,
it said that the modem was connected to Com 3. I tried changing to another
port several times, but I always got the same message saying that another
device was connected to that port. I have no idea what those devices might
be. She has only a printer and monitor, no other devices. Can someone help
me with this? I'd appreciate it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Jul 2007
You don't have a proper understanding of how plug and play modems work, so I
would cease with your port adjustments so as not to make matters worse. A
PnP modem WILL NOT be assigned to an installed COM port, it is assigned to a
virtual port which will not be listed in device manager. Have you tried a
system restore point? Have you contacted AOL support to see if they have in
fact blocked you for what ever reason?

--

----
Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
How to Post http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
_________________________________________________________________________________


" Pam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My friend's computer has suddenly quit connecting to AOL. The message she
> gets is as follows: "The computer's modem is being blocked from
> connecting. Error: 77-RF-JT". I spent a couple of hours trying to get it
> to connect, but I'm stumped. I tried uninstalling it, restarting the
> computer, and then saw the "New Hardware Found" message but no
> installation wizard. I checked the device manager and couldn't see any
> kind of hardware conflicts, but I also didn't see anything that told me
> that the modem was on any of the communication ports either. When I
> checked the modem properties, however, it said that the modem was
> connected to Com 3. I tried changing to another port several times, but I
> always got the same message saying that another device was connected to
> that port. I have no idea what those devices might be. She has only a
> printer and monitor, no other devices. Can someone help me with this?
> I'd appreciate it.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ghostrider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Jul 2007

Pam wrote:

> My friend's computer has suddenly quit connecting to AOL. The message she
> gets is as follows: "The computer's modem is being blocked from connecting.
> Error: 77-RF-JT". I spent a couple of hours trying to get it to connect,
> but I'm stumped. I tried uninstalling it, restarting the computer, and then
> saw the "New Hardware Found" message but no installation wizard. I checked
> the device manager and couldn't see any kind of hardware conflicts, but I
> also didn't see anything that told me that the modem was on any of the
> communication ports either. When I checked the modem properties, however,
> it said that the modem was connected to Com 3. I tried changing to another
> port several times, but I always got the same message saying that another
> device was connected to that port. I have no idea what those devices might
> be. She has only a printer and monitor, no other devices. Can someone help
> me with this? I'd appreciate it.
>
>


Interesting error. Of course, one of the first things to do is go to
Google and do a search. Got Norton installed? Consensus is possible
blocking by the firewall or a firewall add-on for calls to AOL.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Jul 2007
She had already talked with AOL before calling me to come over. She watched
what I did and told me that it was the same thing she was told by AOL
support. They finally told her to call eMachines. When she did that, they
wouldn't even talk to her until she paid them $40, hence the call to me.
The first thing I tried was system restore, and it did no good. Thanks for
the suggestions
"David B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You don't have a proper understanding of how plug and play modems work, so
> I would cease with your port adjustments so as not to make matters worse.
> A PnP modem WILL NOT be assigned to an installed COM port, it is assigned
> to a virtual port which will not be listed in device manager. Have you
> tried a system restore point? Have you contacted AOL support to see if
> they have in fact blocked you for what ever reason?


>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Pam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Jul 2007
I didn't think to check firewalls or anti-virus programs. I'll do that the
next time I go to her house. She called me later in the afternoon and said
that she had talked with a friend who said that it could have been lightning
coming in on the phone wire. Her house was struck a week ago, and it
destroyed her cable TV converter box. Could it be the fault of lightning?

> Interesting error. Of course, one of the first things to do is go to
> Google and do a search. Got Norton installed? Consensus is possible
> blocking by the firewall or a firewall add-on for calls to AOL.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Ghostrider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Jul 2007

Pam wrote:

> I didn't think to check firewalls or anti-virus programs. I'll do that the
> next time I go to her house. She called me later in the afternoon and said
> that she had talked with a friend who said that it could have been lightning
> coming in on the phone wire. Her house was struck a week ago, and it
> destroyed her cable TV converter box. Could it be the fault of lightning?
>
>


The modem can certainly be fried by a nearby lightning strike since one
does not usually protect telephone lines. However, the modem is OK if the
user can connect to other sites in the Internet.
 
Reply With Quote
 
RalfG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Jul 2007
A lot of UPS's include telephone line surge protection. Some have surge
protection for TV cable as well. A direct strike on the house could still
kill all the electronics that are plugged in at the time. Been there.

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Pam wrote:
>
>> I didn't think to check firewalls or anti-virus programs. I'll do that
>> the next time I go to her house. She called me later in the afternoon
>> and said that she had talked with a friend who said that it could have
>> been lightning coming in on the phone wire. Her house was struck a week
>> ago, and it destroyed her cable TV converter box. Could it be the fault
>> of lightning?
>>
>>

>
> The modem can certainly be fried by a nearby lightning strike since one
> does not usually protect telephone lines. However, the modem is OK if the
> user can connect to other sites in the Internet.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Pam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Jul 2007
Thanks so much for all the input. She's going to buy a new modem and see if
that fixes the problem.
"RalfG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u%(E-Mail Removed)...
>A lot of UPS's include telephone line surge protection. Some have surge
>protection for TV cable as well. A direct strike on the house could still
>kill all the electronics that are plugged in at the time. Been there.
>
> "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Pam wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't think to check firewalls or anti-virus programs. I'll do that
>>> the next time I go to her house. She called me later in the afternoon
>>> and said that she had talked with a friend who said that it could have
>>> been lightning coming in on the phone wire. Her house was struck a week
>>> ago, and it destroyed her cable TV converter box. Could it be the fault
>>> of lightning?
>>>
>>>

>>
>> The modem can certainly be fried by a nearby lightning strike since one
>> does not usually protect telephone lines. However, the modem is OK if the
>> user can connect to other sites in the Internet.

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Email blocked senders not being blocked Herb Microsoft Outlook Discussion 1 17th Jun 2009 01:12 AM
Connecting Modem to modem =?Utf-8?B?UGFzdG9y?= Windows XP Work Remotely 1 15th Nov 2004 01:19 PM
stupid blocked sender isn't blocked sheri Microsoft Outlook 5 30th Sep 2004 10:02 PM
OL2003 - Junk emails not being blocked even though they are on blocked domain li Microsoft Outlook Discussion 0 1st Feb 2004 07:35 PM
Why aren't blocked senders being blocked? Brandon S. Microsoft Outlook 0 4th Nov 2003 03:51 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:55 AM.