Modal dialog box freezes browser

Cindy

      22nd Mar 2004

I have designed our timesheet in Excel 2002 to bring up a modal dialog
box whenever it is first opened so that the user can fill out their
employee information. If the timesheet is opened directly in Excel,
then the timesheet works fine. However, if the user opens up the
timesheet within our Intranet browser, occasionally the dialog box
ends up behind the browser window (i.e. loses focus) thus causing the
timesheet to freeze up. The only way to unfreeze the timesheet is to
use the "Minimize All Windows" command to minimize all open windows,
which allows the dialog box to become visible again and the user can
proceed as normal. Is there a way to prevent the dialog box from
"disappearing" behind the browser window in the first place? I am
aware of the My Computer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types>>Browse in
Same Window (uncheck)option , but that isn't a feasible solution with
a large staff environment.

Thanks in advance.

Cindy

Township of East Hanover

      22nd Mar 2004
you can do like the advertisers and push the browser to the back of all open
windows....

"Cindy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have designed our timesheet in Excel 2002 to bring up a modal dialog
> box whenever it is first opened so that the user can fill out their
> employee information. If the timesheet is opened directly in Excel,
> then the timesheet works fine. However, if the user opens up the
> timesheet within our Intranet browser, occasionally the dialog box
> ends up behind the browser window (i.e. loses focus) thus causing the
> timesheet to freeze up. The only way to unfreeze the timesheet is to
> use the "Minimize All Windows" command to minimize all open windows,
> which allows the dialog box to become visible again and the user can
> proceed as normal. Is there a way to prevent the dialog box from
> "disappearing" behind the browser window in the first place? I am
> aware of the My Computer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types>>Browse in
> Same Window (uncheck)option , but that isn't a feasible solution with
> a large staff environment.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cindy

Cindy

      23rd Mar 2004
Thanks, though I was hoping there was something that I can do in
Excel. We use Intranet software and have little control on how the
spreadsheet gets posted (and viewed) within the browser.

Cindy