MMC cannot open the file c:\windows\system32\compmgmt.msc

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

      14th Feb 2007
When I attempt to "Manage" my computer, I get the error message:

MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMPMGMT.MSC
This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have
sufficient access rights to the file.

I get the same erro when I attempt to open the Event Viewer, Services, etc.
(basically anything in Administrative Tools).

So, I clicked START-->RUN and keyed in MMC and pressed ENTER.
I added the necessary snap-ins and attempted to save the MMC console as
"console1" and put it in:
DOCS&SETTINGS\ALLUSERS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\ADMINISTRATIVE-TOOLS and I get an
error message stating:
"MMC cannot save the console"

I am logged into the system as Local Administrator with full security
privileges to the entire machine.

I found Knowledge Base article 326574, and have verified that "C:\windows;
c:\windows\system32; c:\windows\system32\wbem" are all contained in my PATH.

What could the problem be? Does it appear that I need to reinstall the O/S?

Wesley Vogel

      14th Feb 2007
Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
Management Console
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297064

"Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft
Management Console
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826282

You receive a "Cannot open <Snap-in Name>" error message when you try to
start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326574

Device Manager Snap-in fails to initialize
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/devmgr.htm

"Action Canceled" error while opening Device Manager
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dmocx.htm

Make sure that %SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM is in the PATH.

Note: %SystemRoot% is usually the same thing as C:\WINDOWS

I.e. %SystemRoot%\System32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32

Open a command prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
When the command prompt opens, type: path and then hit your Enter key.

It should look something like this...

PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

There may be more items, but make sure that you see WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

This behavior can also occur if your PATH environment variable ends with \

To resolve the problem
1. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.
2. Select the Advanced tab.
3. Press the Environment Variables button.
4. Double-click PATH in the System variables area.
5. Remove the \ from the end of the string.
6. Press OK and OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> When I attempt to "Manage" my computer, I get the error message:
>
> MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMPMGMT.MSC
> This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
> created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not
> have sufficient access rights to the file.
>
> I get the same erro when I attempt to open the Event Viewer, Services,
> etc. (basically anything in Administrative Tools).
>
> So, I clicked START-->RUN and keyed in MMC and pressed ENTER.
> I added the necessary snap-ins and attempted to save the MMC console as
> "console1" and put it in:
> DOCS&SETTINGS\ALLUSERS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\ADMINISTRATIVE-TOOLS and I get
> an error message stating:
> "MMC cannot save the console"
>
> I am logged into the system as Local Administrator with full security
> privileges to the entire machine.
>
> I found Knowledge Base article 326574, and have verified that "C:\windows;
> c:\windows\system32; c:\windows\system32\wbem" are all contained in my
> PATH.
>
> What could the problem be? Does it appear that I need to reinstall the
> O/S?

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

      14th Feb 2007
These solutions did NOT resolve the problem.
As I stated in my original post, I already reviewed and tried KB326574 and
confirmed that the correct PATH variables are in place.

Any other suggestions?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
> Management Console
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297064
>
> "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft
> Management Console
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826282
>
> You receive a "Cannot open <Snap-in Name>" error message when you try to
> start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326574
>
> Device Manager Snap-in fails to initialize
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/devmgr.htm
>
> "Action Canceled" error while opening Device Manager
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dmocx.htm
>
> Make sure that %SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM is in the PATH.
>
> Note: %SystemRoot% is usually the same thing as C:\WINDOWS
>
> I.e. %SystemRoot%\System32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32
>
> Open a command prompt...
> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
> When the command prompt opens, type: path and then hit your Enter key.
>
> It should look something like this...
>
> PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
>
> There may be more items, but make sure that you see WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
>
> This behavior can also occur if your PATH environment variable ends with \
>
> To resolve the problem
> 1. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.
> 2. Select the Advanced tab.
> 3. Press the Environment Variables button.
> 4. Double-click PATH in the System variables area.
> 5. Remove the \ from the end of the string.
> 6. Press OK and OK.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> > When I attempt to "Manage" my computer, I get the error message:
> >
> > MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMPMGMT.MSC
> > This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
> > created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not
> > have sufficient access rights to the file.
> >
> > I get the same erro when I attempt to open the Event Viewer, Services,
> > etc. (basically anything in Administrative Tools).
> >
> > So, I clicked START-->RUN and keyed in MMC and pressed ENTER.
> > I added the necessary snap-ins and attempted to save the MMC console as
> > "console1" and put it in:
> > DOCS&SETTINGS\ALLUSERS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\ADMINISTRATIVE-TOOLS and I get
> > an error message stating:
> > "MMC cannot save the console"
> >
> > I am logged into the system as Local Administrator with full security
> > privileges to the entire machine.
> >
> > I found Knowledge Base article 326574, and have verified that "C:\windows;
> > c:\windows\system32; c:\windows\system32\wbem" are all contained in my
> > PATH.
> >
> > What could the problem be? Does it appear that I need to reinstall the
> > O/S?

Wesley Vogel

      14th Feb 2007
Is there a slash (\) in the environement variables?

--
> [...]

>>> not have sufficient access rights to the file.
>>>
>>> I get the same erro when I attempt to open the Event Viewer, Services,
>>> etc. (basically anything in Administrative Tools).
>>>
>>> So, I clicked START-->RUN and keyed in MMC and pressed ENTER.
>>> I added the necessary snap-ins and attempted to save the MMC console as
>>> "console1" and put it in:
>>> DOCS&SETTINGS\ALLUSERS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\ADMINISTRATIVE-TOOLS and I get
>>> an error message stating:
>>> "MMC cannot save the console"
>>>
>>> I am logged into the system as Local Administrator with full security
>>> privileges to the entire machine.
>>>
>>> I found Knowledge Base article 326574, and have verified that
>>> "C:\windows; c:\windows\system32; c:\windows\system32\wbem" are all
>>> contained in my PATH.
>>>
>>> What could the problem be? Does it appear that I need to reinstall the

=?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=

      14th Feb 2007
Hi Jay,
What version of MSXML you have installed now on your server?.
Read this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816598

Open the Run Command and type in these DLLs (you may need just one but try
both if the first didn't help):
regsvr32 msxml4.dll Click [OK] and Reboot the machine Note if you have
MSXML3 replace the number and re-register the DLL.
regsvr32 /u msxml4.dll
HTH.
Let us know.
Regards,
nass

"Jay" wrote:

> [...]
> > > have sufficient access rights to the file.
> > >
> > > I get the same erro when I attempt to open the Event Viewer, Services,
> > > etc. (basically anything in Administrative Tools).
> > >
> > > So, I clicked START-->RUN and keyed in MMC and pressed ENTER.
> > > I added the necessary snap-ins and attempted to save the MMC console as
> > > "console1" and put it in:
> > > DOCS&SETTINGS\ALLUSERS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\ADMINISTRATIVE-TOOLS and I get
> > > an error message stating:
> > > "MMC cannot save the console"
> > >
> > > I am logged into the system as Local Administrator with full security
> > > privileges to the entire machine.
> > >
> > > I found Knowledge Base article 326574, and have verified that "C:\windows;
> > > c:\windows\system32; c:\windows\system32\wbem" are all contained in my
> > > PATH.
> > >
> > > What could the problem be? Does it appear that I need to reinstall the

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

      15th Feb 2007
Wesley: YES, there are slashes ("\") in the PATH variable. My path was
fairly long:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\oracle\reports\bin;C:\oracle\reports9i\bin;C:\Program
Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\RAC

Nass: The installed version of MSXML is 4, sp2 from Windows Update KB927978.
The installed MSXML Parser is version 6.

"nass" wrote:

> Hi Jay,
> What version of MSXML you have installed now on your server?.
> Read this article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816598
>
> Open the Run Command and type in these DLLs (you may need just one but try
> both if the first didn't help):
> regsvr32 msxml4.dll Click [OK] and Reboot the machine Note if you have
> MSXML3 replace the number and re-register the DLL.
> regsvr32 /u msxml4.dll
> HTH.
> Let us know.
> Regards,
> nass
>
> "Jay" wrote:
>
> > These solutions did NOT resolve the problem.
> > As I stated in my original post, I already reviewed and tried KB326574 and
> > confirmed that the correct PATH variables are in place.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> > > Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
> > > Management Console
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297064
> > >
> > > "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft
> > > Management Console
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826282
> > >
> > > You receive a "Cannot open <Snap-in Name>" error message when you try to
> > > start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326574
> > >
> > > Device Manager Snap-in fails to initialize
> > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/devmgr.htm
> > >
> > > "Action Canceled" error while opening Device Manager
> > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dmocx.htm
> > >
> > > Make sure that %SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM is in the PATH.
> > >
> > > Note: %SystemRoot% is usually the same thing as C:\WINDOWS
> > >
> > > I.e. %SystemRoot%\System32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32
> > >
> > > Open a command prompt...
> > > Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
> > > When the command prompt opens, type: path and then hit your Enter key.
> > >
> > > It should look something like this...
> > >
> > > PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
> > >
> > > There may be more items, but make sure that you see WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
> > >
> > > This behavior can also occur if your PATH environment variable ends with \
> > >
> > > To resolve the problem
> > > 1. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.
> > > 2. Select the Advanced tab.
> > > 3. Press the Environment Variables button.
> > > 4. Double-click PATH in the System variables area.
> > > 5. Remove the \ from the end of the string.
> > > 6. Press OK and OK.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > >
> > > Wes
> > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > >
> > > In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> > > Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:

Dan P. Beckner

      9th Mar 2007
Jay,

did you ever get an answer to this. I suddenly got the same exact
problem you have. It was after I reinstalled a clean install of XP
and SP2. I had the exact same install on exactly the same machine
before the reinstall. Previous install had become unstable after
about 9 months of use, so I was reinstalling.

Thanks,

Dan P. Beckner
(E-Mail Removed)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:10:23 -0800, Jay
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I attempt to "Manage" my computer, I get the error message:
>
>MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMPMGMT.MSC
>This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
>created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have
>sufficient access rights to the file.
>
>I get the same erro when I attempt to open the Event Viewer, Services, etc.
>(basically anything in Administrative Tools).
>
>So, I clicked START-->RUN and keyed in MMC and pressed ENTER.
>I added the necessary snap-ins and attempted to save the MMC console as
>"console1" and put it in:
>DOCS&SETTINGS\ALLUSERS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\ADMINISTRATIVE-TOOLS and I get an
>error message stating:
>"MMC cannot save the console"
>
>I am logged into the system as Local Administrator with full security
>privileges to the entire machine.
>
>I found Knowledge Base article 326574, and have verified that "C:\windows;
>c:\windows\system32; c:\windows\system32\wbem" are all contained in my PATH.
>
>What could the problem be? Does it appear that I need to reinstall the O/S?

New Member

      11th Oct 2007
ho ho.. got the solution..

Regsvr32 Msxml.dll

Regsvr32 Msxml2.dll

Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll

for me it works.. i had the same probs befor

New Member

      15th Feb 2009
Thank you for the lead from the guy above. This one seems to work for vista, but it might be a bit redundant. I just registered them all...

regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll
regsvr32 msxml6.dll

It seems to fix the isssues with not being able to go into computer management, windows updates and a few other areas that you could not get into before.